Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

I feel bad for Shelby, but this is obviously an amazing deal for the Broncos.

I feel like they can feel good about the DL going into the draft? Casey, Jones, Harris, Purcell, Walker (?) .... I wouldn't hate one more player but I feel like they have a core and could just use some JAGs as backups.

I would like to see us add a corner to the mix, and I am obviously concerned about the WR position, not a HUGE fan of Gordon.....but pretty great offseason. 

The long term look of the DL is still a question mark, so if Kinlaw is BPA at 15, I think you still absolutely take him. But yeah, no reason to reach for a D-lineman now. 

Think this might be a case where people expected the market to overvalue Shelby, and teams wisely didn't, but to even a greater extent than expected. 6 sacks + 0 QB hits is not a stat line you see frequently and probably reflects that he's more of a 2-4 sack, solid starter who isn't special in any one aspect but will be a helpful piece any time he's on the field. Still, considering positional value that's worth at least double what he'll make this year and on a multi-year agreement. 

I've said for months Shelby is pretty replaceable in this defense, but for this price, why would you want to replace him? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

Wolfe to the Ravens - 1 year, 6m. 

Feel like we probably got the better player at a lower price. Wolfe was a great Bronco for sure, gonna miss him

I think hands down Wolfe is the better player but Shelby is almost half the cost. Hard to pass that up. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I think hands down Wolfe is the better player but Shelby is almost half the cost. Hard to pass that up. 

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Agreed, and Shelby has also been durable. 

And half the mileage, too.   I love what Wolfe did for us, but I'll take Harris at 2.5M guaranteed, and only 750K more in bonuses.   6.5M isn't bad at all, but the risk baked in with Wolfe's 3rd contract, and his injuries & wear/tear, sorry, that's an easy decision there.   Harris offers more potential for inside pass rush disruption, too.    Not going to second guess Elway at all on this decision. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

IMO letting Wolfe go for $6 mil a year was a very bad idea. Felt the same about CHJ.

How do you ever convince any one else to extend on a "team friendly / home town discount" if you don't step up when it's your turn.

Just my opinion. No sense in arguing really, I really think that was pretty shoddy management and will cost us dearly in the long term.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

IMO letting Wolfe go for $6 mil a year was a very bad idea. Felt the same about CHJ.

How do you ever convince any one else to extend on a "team friendly / home town discount" if you don't step up when it's your turn.

Just my opinion. No sense in arguing really, I really think that was pretty shoddy management and will cost us dearly in the long term.

Not sure what they were supposed to do about Chris when he turned down a better offer last year and told the Chiefs to “come get him”. He made it pretty clear he didn’t want to come back. 

I think they’re done getting discounts anyway and are coming to grips with that new reality. League-wide, there really aren’t many hometown discounts. Most teams have to pay market value even for their own guys. The discount comes when you sign them early.

Edited by BroncoBruin