Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

At the end of the day, this only becomes important in a situation where your season is probably done anyway. I’m sure he’s cheap and he’s not a stiff, so whatever. 

Why did they not want to sign Allen?  I  mean he was what you expected as a backup, he won a game and kept things competitive.  Oh well.  

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Driskel is terrible. Genuinely one of the worst QBs I've ever seen play against us.

Does he have any history with our coaching staff? Seems a strange one.

idk but I appreciate the fact that he can run. which is kinda the #1 thing I look for in a backup QB

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Driskel is terrible. Genuinely one of the worst QBs I've ever seen play against us.

Does he have any history with our coaching staff? Seems a strange one.

He apparently impressed Elway when he played against us with SF....in an exhibition game.   Meh.

It's not a huge deal because 99 percent of backups don't pan out to be anything more than 1-2 game stopgaps , but man, one-game impressions to commit 2 years as the backup...ugh.    I'd much rather have taken a shot on a Sloter type guy (someone who was uber-raw in their rookie year), because the potential for growth is there.    The dreaded vet label is so bad for backups - unless it's an established guy who's able to pitch in competently (like a Josh McCown), the vet backup label = not good enough to be more than a clipboard guy.   

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He apparently impressed Elway when he played against us with SF....in an exhibition game.   Meh.

It's not a huge deal because 99 percent of backups don't pan out to be anything more than 1-2 game stopgaps , but man, one-game impressions to commit 2 years as the backup...ugh.    I'd much rather have taken a shot on a Sloter type guy (someone who was uber-raw in their rookie year), because the potential for growth is there.    The dreaded vet label is so bad for backups - unless it's an established guy who's able to pitch in competently (like a Josh McCown), the vet backup label = not good enough to be more than a clipboard guy.   

Or even Rypien.  I mean, he could have been the long-term backup solution in Denver.  He could have been what Kubiak was to Elway for Lock.  I thought that was the plan in anyway, a smart kid who would eventually become a coach.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Driskel doesn't quite fit the backup QB stiff category that you are riffing on IMO. And you know how much I hate the backup QB status quo in the NFL. Driskel seems athletic enough to be a guy that could maybe make some ish happen if he gets put into the game even though he isn't good and he is young enough that they can possibly coach him up. I don't mind it

8 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Driskel doesn't quite fit the backup QB stiff category that you are riffing on IMO. And you know how much I hate the backup QB status quo in the NFL. Driskel seems athletic enough to be a guy that could maybe make some ish happen if he gets put into the game even though he isn't good and he is young enough that they can possibly coach him up. I don't mind it

That's entirely fair that Driskel's athletic skills are more than the usual backup.    His QB skills are just very JAG-ish.  But he's at an earlier stage of his development than say Brandon Allen...

13 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

The browns, Raiders and redskins have historically won FA every year. The browns and Raiders are winning it again this year. Let’s see how it plays out this fall.  More often than not bites them in the ***. Our 2013/2015 SB teams were largely built through FA but thats rare. I wish Reader would have taken our offer of $11M AAV. But I’m glad we didn’t get into a bidding war. That’s not how good teams are built. 

I expect us to bring in a few tier 2/3 FAs (Wolfe is still in play) 

This seems outdated. Raiders moves have been for glue guys and depth. They scored nice deals on their signings and have upgraded their front 7 in the last couple days. They recognized they lack everything on defense and made moves to shore them up.

Good teams are built in the draft. Mayock showed well last year, but they had massive holes from years of bad drafts along the front 7 under McKenzie. 

• Like 1