Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

38 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Not sure what they were supposed to do about Chris when he turned down a better offer last year and told the Chiefs to “come get him”. He made it pretty clear he didn’t want to come back. 

I think they’re done getting discounts anyway and are coming to grips with that new reality. League-wide, there really aren’t many hometown discounts. Most teams have to pay market value even for their own guys. The discount comes when you sign them early.

Yeah, I know. Doesn't make me feel better though.

To me , once a guy does give that Hometown discount, Wolfe and CHJ were big ones, the team should step up a bit and give a "loyalty bonus" on the final contract. With Wolfe and CHJ it was a one way street.

Granted though, I'm pretty old school.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

To me , once a guy does give that Hometown discount, Wolfe and CHJ were big ones, the team should step up a bit and give a "loyalty bonus" on the final contract. With Wolfe and CHJ it was a one way street.

Didn't CHJ get a $3M bonus last year ?? What did the team get for that, by his own admission he played substandard ???

18 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Steve Atwater didn't get a loyalty award, nor did Shannon Sharpe. Those guys are HOFers.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 4:31 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

I love CHJ and Wolfe but sometimes it got a bit boring hearing them compare our culture to the Superbowl team.

It's a new team and it needs a new identity. I think starting afresh is a good thing, frankly.

Couldn't agree more. A lot of complaining on the sidelines, not a lot of stepping up and changing the culture. As is usually the case, sometimes it's best just to part ways.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Couldn't agree more. A lot of complaining on the sidelines, not a lot of stepping up and changing the culture. As is usually the case, sometimes it's best just to part ways.

it was just time for everyone to move on, i think. doesn't take away from who those guys are and what they did in Denver. annoying as hell seeing broncos fans on twitter talking crap about CHJ. 

• Like 3

On 3/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Not sure what they were supposed to do about Chris when he turned down a better offer last year and told the Chiefs to “come get him”. He made it pretty clear he didn’t want to come back. 

I think they’re done getting discounts anyway and are coming to grips with that new reality. League-wide, there really aren’t many hometown discounts. Most teams have to pay market value even for their own guys. The discount comes when you sign them early.

I also think that when Wolfe and CHJ took hometown discounts was during a unique time with the franchise when we had Peyton and went on the FA splash, the guys knew they had a window to win and opted to stay here. 

I do agree that this could lead to a bad precedent and potentially hurt us long-term but we also have to look at the 2013-16 window in context. 

Even still, really sad to see Wolfe go. And to Baltimore nonetheless, a team I loathe almost as much as the Pats and Raiders. 

• Like 2

Even still, really sad to see Wolfe go. And to Baltimore nonetheless, a team I loathe almost as much as the Pats and Raiders. 

Not sure why you hold this opinion, but personally I think Wolfe is a great culture fit in Baltimore. That team always has tough as nails defenders and Derek will be such a great fit. They also maximize DL and find ways for their guys to win. I think he will have a great season if he stays healthy. 

I wouldn’t mind adding Taylor Gabriel or Paul Richardson to add some experience to the WR room 

I wish. Both have that deep threat skillset that I love out of a WR4. Richardson especially could be one of those guys that only catches like 20 passes a year but gets 20YPC by catching the defense off guard and feasting on depth CBs or mismatches. 

• Like 1

Re: Richardson, more iffy on him for 2 reasons - first, the ACL he tore was his 2nd one on his left knee.   I don't know that he's been quite the same since.....and he's only been hurt over & over.   Which is part of the discount, but also consider this - soft tissue injuries & our altitude, not a great combination.   It's not to the extreme as sickle cell trait (which is an absolute contraindication), but I'd generally avoid unless it's a vet-min type deal - then there's literally no risk baked in other than opportunity cost.

I do hope Elway hits WR 2x before Rd4 is done, though.   Still, those guys aren't likely to be 2020 WR2's....so yeah, disappointing we didn't get a Dorsett-type guy (who would have been an amazing fit too, and he only cost 1M...oh well).    Gabriels' meh IMO, but he does provide the speed.  I kinda am more partial to Rashad Higgins, and find the speed guy in the draft (but that's why I loved Anderson/Perriman <both too much $$ though for who they are> & Dorsett <1M...sigh>).

Edited by Broncofan

I don’t think it’s unlikely that a first round WR will be a productive WR2 as a rookie. That’s way overstating it, especially when you’re citing guys who’ve been largely irrelevant in their careers as better options. Dorsett is worth that much because he’s bad. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Richardson, more iffy on him for 2 reasons - first, the ACL he tore was his 2nd one on his left knee.   I don't know that he's been quite the same since.....and he's only been hurt over & over.   Which is part of the discount, but also consider this - soft tissue injuries & our altitude, not a great combination.   It's not to the extreme as sickle cell trait (which is an absolute contraindication), but I'd generally avoid unless it's a vet-min type deal - then there's literally no risk baked in other than opportunity cost.

I do hope Elway hits WR 2x before Rd4 is done, though.   Still, those guys aren't likely to be 2020 WR2's....so yeah, disappointing we didn't get a Dorsett-type guy (who would have been an amazing fit too, and he only cost 1M...oh well).    Gabriels' meh IMO, but he does provide the speed.  I kinda am more partial to Rashad Higgins, and find the speed guy in the draft (but that's why I loved Anderson/Perriman <both too much $$ though for who they are> & Dorsett <1M...sigh>).

I think the WRs we draft can be effective if used properly. That's the key. I kind of expect Denver to pick up a veteran WR after the draft just for competition purposes.

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think the WRs we draft can be effective if used properly. That's the key. I kind of expect Denver to pick up a veteran WR after the draft just for competition purposes.

For sure.   WR2, though, is a tall task.  And asking that for a rookie is a tall, tall order, even more so from Week 1.  Even the most impact year 1 rookies rarely were ready Opening Week - AJ Brown & Samuel were 2H terrors, but mostly ghosts in 1H.   That's why I keep pointing out that we have to stop thinking the draft will address year 1 needs.   Rd1 guys have the talent, but WR is a tough position to impact right away - one only needs to look at Sutton to see that in spades (again, bigger 2H impact there as well, and overall hard to say he gave us a solid WR2 year in a vacuum).   It's a big reason for why I see 2021+ as our legit window to contend, and why I argue against stop-gap signings unless it's vet-min, no-guaranteed $ type deals.