Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

23 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So at what point does Jadeveon Clowney’s market get so soft that you just HAVE TO make a call? His fit in a 3-4 isn’t ideal, but I’d trust Fangio to move him around into spots he’d succeed in. Von seems to be in decline, his contract is basically done after this season, and we’ve got the cap space to make it work right now...I don’t know. In the $16-18M per range, that’s pretty attractive, in my opinion. 

Someone else will pay more than we will, I mean Elway's looking for bargains.    Everyone's staring each other down, but once they miss their target in the draft early, Clowney should match up soon after (which is misguided, since draft guys rarely make an impact at EDGE unless it's elite talent, but...).

Edited by Broncofan

On 2020-04-02 at 10:04 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

Clowney seems overrated to me.  I mean, Shaq Barrett is better and he went undrafted.  

Shaq Barrett is very much not better than Clowney. I’ll take Clowney’s all-around game over Shaq’s pass rush any day. 

Also, with Eli Apple a free agent again, is he worth a look? I thought he looked like a completely different guy in NO when he was allowed to play close to the line of scrimmage. He was supposed to get $6M in LV, but now that the market is dried up, is he worth a call in the $3-4M range? A one year bet on him being able to limit his penalty problem might be worth a shot? Would remind me of a similar bet we made on Rodgers-Cromartie all those years ago. If it worked out like that again, aces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Shaq Barrett is very much not better than Clowney. I’ll take Clowney’s all-around game over Shaq’s pass rush any day. 

Also, with Eli Apple a free agent again, is he worth a look? I thought he looked like a completely different guy in NO when he was allowed to play close to the line of scrimmage. He was supposed to get $6M in LV, but now that the market is dried up, is he worth a call in the $3-4M range? A one year bet on him being able to limit his penalty problem might be worth a shot? Would remind me of a similar bet we made on Rodgers-Cromartie all those years ago. If it worked out like that again, aces.

No denying Apple's tools & physical talent.  He's a bit of a knucklehead, though, so I wonder how that translates to absorbing Fangio's scheme.   Also Fangio likes his CB's to get their noses dirty and support the run game.  That is not Apple's forte...at all.

Can't argue the price if it was 3-4M...but it sounds like there are plenty of suitors.   Would be surprised if Elway got involved if it's a battle for his services given the above issues (the run support one is a huge obstacle IMO, and "dumb" but tool-talented CB's don't fit Fangio's scheme well).

Edited by Broncofan

54 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If we played man and didn't prioritize run support at CB, I would be all over Apple. Kid is only 24, he would be a rare high upside signing with long term building block potential. 

But he isn't really a zone guy and hates contact. I don't see a fit unfortunately. 

Well, we already have several young CB's on the roster now, seems like it's time to see what we have on the team already

I know a lot of you guys like Wolfe - I never did - I think a lot of his 'loyalty' stuff was bluster - I think it suited him to stay in Denver with his last contract and maybe his market wasn't that good (like this off-season) - and the word out now that he considered asking for a trade to the Ravens during last season, along with his statement that he wanted to be drafted by the Ravens and that as soon as the opportunity became available to join the Ravens he told his agent to 'make it happen' - on top of the fact that he let Flacco constantly bend his ear all last season about how great the Ravens were. Kinda reinforced my feelings about him.

12 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I know a lot of you guys like Wolfe - I never did - I think a lot of his 'loyalty' stuff was bluster - I think it suited him to stay in Denver with his last contract and maybe his market wasn't that good (like this off-season) - and the word out now that he considered asking for a trade to the Ravens during last season, along with his statement that he wanted to be drafted by the Ravens and that as soon as the opportunity became available to join the Ravens he told his agent to 'make it happen' - on top of the fact that he let Flacco constantly bend his ear all last season about how great the Ravens were. Kinda reinforced my feelings about him.

He talks way to much that said he was a phenomenal player for us and I have to respect him. I mean wolf at 36 has had a better career than Marcel Dareus a top 3 pick the year before.

SO I haven't seen this question asked but thought I would post it here.  Would you rather have Todd Gurley on his 1year deal or Melvin Gordon?  I know Gurley's knee is about to blow up but Gordon doesnt' exactly have minimal wear and tear either...Personally I'd rather take Gurley on his cheaper deal than Gordon, I still think Gurley has home run speed where Melvin doesn't.  Thoughts??