Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

29 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The way things have played out, I wonder if cash flow is an issue right now. They are doing everything they can to avoid immediate financial liabilities. 

Adding Bouye and Casey add to about $24MM, Glasgow another $12MMish so that's around $36MM. Weren't we  expected to have around $70MM (but that included $10MM from Flacco who has yet to be cut). Even so, we should still have $13-18MM but that doesn't acct for the likes of Bausby, Wilkerson, 

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

They're taking on a lot of salary but not paying a lot of cash up front. 

True, we're not paying the signing bonuses , which will help any immediate cash flow issues.  It also helps with future dead cap issues as we can cut Bouye and Casey with little to no dead cap space but we're still dealing with the same holes in the future. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Still holding out a small, tiny, glimmer of hope that we can get Wolfe/Parks back at decent deals.

Somebody correct me if Im wrong here but I thought this whole plan was 'buy a D and draft a O' with the Broncos having a boatload of $$ to spend in FA.

So far they have made good signings but not the fireworks that I was expecting from Elway given all of the hype from beat writers coming into this offseason. They made it sound like it was going to be the Talib/Ward/Ware/Sanders offseason all over again but so far it hasnt been. What is the plan here with all of this remaining cap room?

Besides Cooper has any Free agent wrs been signed?

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I think the eagles land him to replace Aghlor can't depend on Desean to stay healthy

Possibly but I personally dont think Anderson is that great. He is a 1 trick pony and I dont think he is anymore than a glorified Travis Benjamin. If he thinks he is getting 14 million per year than IDK man

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Possibly but I personally dont think Anderson is that great. He is a 1 trick pony and I dont think he is anymore than a glorified Travis Benjamin. If he thinks he is getting 14 million per year than IDK man

I think he gets 8 to 9 million .

He's not a number one but that skill set to take the top off a defense is highly coveted because they're aren't a huge surplus of them in this league.

I mean Desean Jackson who was ancient with injury issues got 5 mill annually last year had health been an issue for him?

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

If Anderson goes $10M or below I’d love to add him.  He’s one of the better deep threats in the NFL and I still don’t think it means you can’t take a WR at #15 if one is available.

Fant, and Anderson as a combo would be super dangerous. I left out Sutton because Sutton is a prime possession jump ball wr.

But Anderson and Fant would be matchup nightmares

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

They’ll need to save some $$ for the draft picks. I also expect Wolfe to be resigned. 

No, because the draft picks will replace guys already on the roster, most of whom were set to make more than these rookies.  So those 10 picks will probably end up saving us money on those roster spots.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

No, because the draft picks will replace guys already on the roster, most of whom were set to make more than these rookies.  So those 10 picks will probably end up saving us money on those roster spots.

One, Holy crap, it’s nice to see you back. 

But, at the end of the day, it’s still going to cost more to sign the rookies than whatever very marginal roster bubble players are cut in their stead. The earlier round picks are locks to make the roster and they will replace very low-level, and thus low-salary, players. 

My point wasn’t that we shouldn’t be spending more, because we should, we have it we need to spend it and I’ve been largely disappointed with what we’ve done thus far. I just meant that the $70M figure wasn’t quite as big as it sounded a week ago. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

Ooof. Driskel didn't even get his own thread on here...

Per Klis, here are the contract details:

Broncos backup QB Jeff Driskel got a 2-year, $5 million contract. $1.5 million signing bonus (nice). 2020 salary: $1 million (full guarantee). So $2.5 million total in 2020 (pretty good). 2021 salary: $2.5M (no guarantee) $500,000 per year in playtime bonus.

With an extra roster spot open due to not having a fullback :( I'm expecting we keep 3 QB's. Lock, Driskel, and Rypen all on the 53 (55 now?) with the last two competing for the #2 spot next year.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

One, Holy crap, it’s nice to see you back. 

But, at the end of the day, it’s still going to cost more to sign the rookies than whatever very marginal roster bubble players are cut in their stead. The earlier round picks are locks to make the roster and they will replace very low-level, and thus low-salary, players. 

My point wasn’t that we shouldn’t be spending more, because we should, we have it we need to spend it and I’ve been largely disappointed with what we’ve done thus far. I just meant that the $70M figure wasn’t quite as big as it sounded a week ago. 

If the 10 draft picks replace the bottom 10 cap hits, it only costs us $2.25M in space. Glasgow’s hit will probably be cancelled out by Flacco’s release. I’d say it’s safe to assume there’s still a solid $20M in space right now, enough to make 2 real solid additions yet. I wonder if you could grab all of Wolfe, Karras, and Perriman with that money, and lurk in the reeds for a major trade up in the draft, waiting for the QB run to hit early and pick off a stud in the 7-10 range. 

Edit: Just saw Karras signed today. Nuts

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 1