Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

I actually think some of the media analysis of this is flawed even though the overall criticism is fair.

Anyone calling Freeman  a “solid backup” hasn’t watched him play. That said, the opportunity cost + guaranteeing most of the second year salary sucks.

Edited by BroncoBruin

Again, will freely admit this is an overpay, but for two years, I am more than okay with the deal.

1. The cap spike next year will make the second year palatable

2. Gordon and Lindsay are good complements, and though I still would like to see us draft a rookie, I think it removes an immediate need.

• Like 3

Just now, broncos67 said:

Again, will freely admit this is an overpay, but for two years, I am more than okay with the deal.

2. Gordon and Lindsay are good complements, and though I still would like to see us draft a rookie, I think it removes an immediate need.

I think another issue I have is a rookie RB can bear fruits immediately, not the case with a rookie corner or defensive linemen. That’s admittedly short term analysis though.

45 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I actually think some of the media analysis of this is flawed even though the overall criticism is fair.

Anyone calling Freeman  a “solid backup” hasn’t watched him play. That said, the opportunity cost + guaranteeing most of the second year salary sucks.

That’s the issue in a nutshell.   Signing MG3 likely means Elway won’t invest a Rd3-4 pick in this loaded top end RB class.   The rookie deal value compared to MG3’s FA deal isn’t even close.  

Now, most years the guy you get at Rd3-4 are iffy to project star level ceiling impact. Or those types come with incredibly low floors.    This class is so loaded at the top end, though, that it’s a huge opportunity to mine Rd2 typical RB value at Rd3-4.   That’s the huge lost opportunity.  And it makes an even bigger compound effect if Elway then waits to 2021 or 2022 to draft RB - because it’s incredibly unlikely either class will match the same top-end depth.   

The kicker is Lindsay is due to get paid when MG3 is in his final year.   So it’s more likely Elway will pick RB out of need then rather than mine peak value now and not be forced into a need pick situation.  

MG3 is a good player.   He’s not elite.   And it’s literally the easiest skill position to replace.    Just can’t feel good about this move at all.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Are we strictly defining "worth it" by what a team is willing to pay you? If so, Osweiler was worth 4 years, 72 million in 2016. Not to mention all the bad RB contracts signed in the past few years that teams have been trying to get out of. 

Comparing a QB who had hardly played to a bell cow RB and then comparing a two year deal to a 5-6 year deal o.O

50 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Im just worried that Elway just pissed off Lindsay to the point where hes going to be on Chris Harris type attitude until he can sign elsewhere. It can still happen, but one critisism I do have of Elway in the way he builds rosters is that he often overpays or gives a good amount of money for FAs and always seems to leave his homegrown guys in the dust until its last min.

I wish he would take care of  some of the current players before dropping the rest of the coin on outside FAs. He just always seems like the type who has no problem throwing money bags at outside FAs but plays overly aggressive hardball with his own draft picks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

This feels like a massive overreaction. Lindsay is not a bellcow back. Period. He will not hold up as that full time guy. Keeping him fresh by having a good complementary back feels like a great way to extend his shelf life.

Correct. But neither is Gordon and we just paid him $8 million per year. Which means Lindsay, who has more thousand yard seasons than Gordon does in spite of only being in the league for 2 years is gonna get screwed. Unless you think Elway will be willling to pay them both which I don’t see happening. 

49 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

Comparing a QB who had hardly played to a bell cow RB and then comparing a two year deal to a 5-6 year deal o.O

Except Gordon isn’t a bell cow RB. He has exactly one 1000 yard season, and has only averaged more than 4 ypc once. In 5 years. You don’t pay guys like that $8 million dollars per season.

Edited by 1234567

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah. As a pure runner I don’t think he brings a lot to the table. He’s a good receiving back though and it was pretty clear Lindsay wasn’t cut out for that role.

I don’t think you pay big money for a reliable check down guy though. Those guys are a dime a dozen. 

Oh come on Brock was fools gold lol everyone knew it

40 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Except Gordon isn’t a bell cow RB. He has exactly one 1000 yard season, and has only averaged more than 4 ypc once. In 5 years. You don’t pay guys like that $8 million dollars per season.

Pretty short sighted analysis but I know how that goes with the casual fan. It’s not like the offense, the offensive line, the sorry state of the team/franchise had anything to do with it. And yea he misses a second 1,000 yard season by 3 yards. Finally, let’s omit his pass catching ability.  Bell cow = touches.

1 minute ago, badgers0821 said:

Pretty short sighted analysis but I know how that goes with the casual fan. It’s not like the offense, the offensive line, the sorry state of the team/franchise had anything to do with it. And yea he misses a second 1,000 yard season by 3 yards. Finally, let’s omit his pass catching ability.  Bell cow = touches.

No need to make condescending comments because someone doesn’t agree with you. Just be happy your guy got paid and don’t be so defensive if some of us don’t love it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

Last two seasons: 

Gordon - 429 touches  2283 YScm

5.3 yds/touch  23 total TD.

(These are consistent with the rest of his career averages.) 

Lindsay - 486 touches  2485 YScm

5.1 yds/touch  17 total TD 

Gordon isn’t any more of a bell cow than Lindsay and isn’t an $8 million dollar per year back. Pretty uninformed analysis, but I know how that goes with fans who say things before they actually do the research. 

Would LOVE for us to go after Everson Griffen. His versatility and length is something we desperately could do with.

He could almost certainly be had on a 2 year deal and if we don't go after him, I'm going to point back to the Gordon signing I'm afraid.

You will not be able to convince me that Griffen on $8m would not do more for this team than Gordon would.

Edited by lomaxgrUK