Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

37 minutes ago, IronJ said:

SO I haven't seen this question asked but thought I would post it here.  Would you rather have Todd Gurley on his 1year deal or Melvin Gordon?  I know Gurley's knee is about to blow up but Gordon doesnt' exactly have minimal wear and tear either...Personally I'd rather take Gurley on his cheaper deal than Gordon, I still think Gurley has home run speed where Melvin doesn't.  Thoughts??

I think Gurley’s already shot. Wouldn’t want him for any price. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, IronJ said:

SO I haven't seen this question asked but thought I would post it here.  Would you rather have Todd Gurley on his 1year deal or Melvin Gordon?  I know Gurley's knee is about to blow up but Gordon doesnt' exactly have minimal wear and tear either...Personally I'd rather take Gurley on his cheaper deal than Gordon, I still think Gurley has home run speed where Melvin doesn't.  Thoughts??

I would take Melvin pretty easily. I think he's reliable. Gurley might just be washed. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IronJ said:

I love Gurley, but he was hurt coming out of college.  His prime is over. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I fear this means Chubb’s recovery is behind schedule.

I've not heard that at all. I think it has more to do with the fact that Elway puts an absolute premium on pass-rush, and felt he could get an upgrade over Attoachu, Reed, Hollins for very cheap. 

I've not heard that at all. I think it has more to do with the fact that Elway puts an absolute premium on pass-rush, and felt he could get an upgrade over Attoachu, Reed, Hollins for very cheap. 

I still think moving Chubb to 5T would be a great move. Never going to happen, but Chubb and Dre'Mont could be a unique attacking duo at 5T. He is about the same size as Nick Bosa, and is a similar player as well (Not as good though). He wasn't twitchy to begin with and while I think his technique, motor and power will ensure he is still making splash plays at EDGE, I think he could make even more at 5T. 

16 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I still think moving Chubb to 5T would be a great move. Never going to happen, but Chubb and Dre'Mont could be a unique attacking duo at 5T. He is about the same size as Nick Bosa, and is a similar player as well (Not as good though). He wasn't twitchy to begin with and while I think his technique, motor and power will ensure he is still making splash plays at EDGE, I think he could make even more at 5T. 

When Von leaves we should probably move to a 4-3 and build the DL around Chubb at DE. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been rewatching last season on NFL gamepass and while I’ve been overwhelmingly supportive of our moves this offseason, I find myself scratching my head more and more at the Melvin Gordon pickup.

To put it frankly, Phillip Lindsay is one of the best young backs in the league. He’s both a competent between the tackles runner and very explosive. I guess he isn’t great in the passing game, but that’s a learnable skill imo. Even if we are reluctant to pay him a second contract, we have him for cheap this year and then RFA tender in 2021.

I understand that Royce Freeman is a pretty “meat and potatoes” back (although I’m higher on him than most will be) and I wouldn’t have been opposed to adding some competition for him in the draft or FA, but paying Gordon to be a clear cut RB1 is a real head scratcher to me.

We can cut Gordon next year and save $3.5m which is coincidentally what Lindsay will make on a second round tender, so my hope is that Lindsay will outplay Melvin Gordon in 2020 and Gordon ends up being a cap casualty after only one season to allow the better back to stay on the roster.

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I’ve been rewatching last season on NFL gamepass and while I’ve been overwhelmingly supportive of our moves this offseason, I find myself scratching my head more and more at the Melvin Gordon pickup.

Gordon had an amazing third down percentage compared to Lindsay.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Gordon had an amazing third down percentage compared to Lindsay.

And as much as I love Lindsay, he's  a buck 90...i for one would like to see him stick around for awhile, so I like the Gordon pick up so that he doesn't have to carry the load. 

• Like 2

So Melvin just isn't very good as a runner. I find most of his games/highlights very underwhelming. But he is fantastic in the red zone and on third downs (two places we have really sucked). So I think he is fairly efficient in that way and will be effective for us.

But he really lacks vision and talent as a runner. Phil is much much better. I just wish Phil was a reliable pass catcher

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, champ11 said:

So Melvin just isn't very good as a runner. I find most of his games/highlights very underwhelming. But he is fantastic in the red zone and on third downs (two places we have really sucked). So I think he is fairly efficient in that way and will be effective for us.

But he really lacks vision and talent as a runner. Phil is much much better. I just wish Phil was a reliable pass catcher

Honestly Lindsay will win the starting job within the first month of the season, I just hope the coaching staff aren’t too stubborn to let the better RB play. 

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

Honestly Lindsay will win the starting job within the first month of the season, I just hope the coaching staff aren’t too stubborn to let the better RB play. 

Shurmur is so reliant on the RB catching balls. Barkley had, what, 90 a couple years ago? I think they like Melvin as that guy. He's not even like a special receiver or anything, he's just comfortable catching dump offs. 

So yeah I think Phil is a much better player but not sure he will win the starting spot just because of the receiving thing. Maybe he makes that leap this year.

Apparently Malik Hooker was being shopped at the draft. The Colts then drafted Julian Blackmon. What do you think the asking price is for Hooker? He’s often injured, but very effective when he plays. Maybe as our new Will Parks, he can stay healthy playing 50-60% of the snaps? 

• Like 1