Jump to content
jsthomp2007

Free Agent Frenzy

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Apparently Malik Hooker was being shopped at the draft. The Colts then drafted Julian Blackmon. What do you think the asking price is for Hooker? He’s often injured, but very effective when he plays. Maybe as our new Will Parks, he can stay healthy playing 50-60% of the snaps? 


I reckon a 2nd/3rd but he will need a big contract after this year and you aren’t paying him and Simmons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paul-mac said:


I reckon a 2nd/3rd but he will need a big contract after this year and you aren’t paying him and Simmons. 

A 2nd or 3rd would be more than I’d be willing to give, I honestly have no idea what his market would be. Only $3M guaranteed to Kareem in 2021, though, so a Hooker/Simmons tandem might be the long term play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best I'd throw out for him is a 5th, Hooker hasn't played a full season since he came into the league. If healthy though, he and Simmons would be a heckuva tandem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even when healthy, from a raw stats / advanced stats POV Hooker doesn't look special at all. 

Last two years he surrendered over 70% completion when targeted and gave up QB ratings of 110+ while missing 12%+ tackles. 

For comparison, the year before Justin broke out he surrendered 94 QB rating and 71% w/ 8.5% missed tackles. 

To me Hooker is all potential at this point. He has snagged a few INT's, but other than that, on paper at least, he looks like JAG who is living off his R1 draft positions name recognition. 

For a R5? I suppose. But are we even going to want to pay him?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Even when healthy, from a raw stats / advanced stats POV Hooker doesn't look special at all. 

Last two years he surrendered over 70% completion when targeted and gave up QB ratings of 110+ while missing 12%+ tackles. 

For comparison, the year before Justin broke out he surrendered 94 QB rating and 71% w/ 8.5% missed tackles. 

To me Hooker is all potential at this point. He has snagged a few INT's, but other than that, on paper at least, he looks like JAG who is living off his R1 draft positions name recognition. 

For a R5? I suppose. But are we even going to want to pay him?

He was *very* good in 2018, grading out above average in run support, coverage, and tackling. Last year was a step back, no question, but he’s flashed enough talent that I think he’s worth taking a shot (assuming the price isn’t extravagant). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well there goes the obvious cheap Fangio - CHI scheme fit.  It was only a stopgap measure so long term not a big deal.  But the secondary surely will be under the microscope early on.  
 

 

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well there goes the obvious cheap Fangio - CHI scheme fit.  It was only a stopgap measure so long term not a big deal.  But the secondary surely will be under the microscope early on.  
 

 

See that really bugs me because I really thought he would be a good fit here. I figured there was a chance for some player movement once the COVID hysteria to abated a little before making any post-draft FA moves. Guess I was wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are paying Bryce Callahan around the 25th among CB's. Vic didnt bring him here to only play NB, he brought him here to be CB2. It took me a while to realize this, but its clearly the plan. IMO its AJ as CB1, Bryce as CB2 and when we go w/ 3 CB's (Which will be a LOT), we slide Bryce to NB and Bausby takes over. 

I like Prince, but he is a mercenary at this point. I am not very sure it works, but there could be a modicum of CB continuity if the Bouye / Callahan / Bausby trio works out. That would be nice, I loved having the insane trio of CHJ / Talib / Roby for those years. Not to mention Webster as the GOAT #4CB. 

I am very excited to see how AJ does in a more stable organization. That cast of characters in JAX was toxic, I think we can get the 2015-2017 AJ without all the locker room nonsense. It would be one thing if he under-performed, but that whole team fell off a cliff. Thats a sign of systemic issues, rather than all those guys falling off a cliff at the same time. Its promising IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Any idea if DT will be signed somewhere? I know he has age and injuries against him but man......hes Demaryius Thomas. How is he not on a NFL roster at least as a WR3 somwhere. I feel like it was just a couple years ago I was watching him catching passes from Tebow as a young guy. Cant believe how time flies.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Any idea if DT will be signed somewhere? I know he has age and injuries against him but man......hes Demaryius Thomas. How is he not on a NFL roster at least as a WR3 somwhere. I feel like it was just a couple years ago I was watching him catching passes from Tebow as a young guy. Cant believe how time flies.

Achilles rupture at age 30 is a career killer for most guys.   Sanders' quicks are what kept him performing, but that's not the norm - being a career-killer sadly is.

I have nothing but love for DT, but that unfortunate result wouldn't surprise me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DT's athleticism was always more of his calling card than nuanced route running. As that athleticism start to fade, exponentially with the achilles injury, his skills are less translatable. Especially given veterans are not usually great or willing special teams players. At this point he's a positive locker room influence with playoff/super bowl experience that can step into a small role in a pinch. I don't see him being signed until later in the year if a playoff team has multiple injuries to the position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...