Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Anyone else think it's possible that Belichick sends a player + a ton of his picks to Detroit for #3 and drafts Tua? It makes sense for both teams on a number of fronts. 

1. The Pats get their QBOTF who won't be under immediate pressure to start as it's not like New England has been bereft of success and will need to sell tickets and get nationally-televised games; their fans can stomach a down year and we know that BB's defense will keep that team at least marginally competitive even if the offense is a bottom-5 unit. Tua can sit for the year, develop with McDaniels and be ready to start in 2021. 

2. By trading out of a top spot, getting a starter from a familiar program and having a boat load of picks to load up with their guys, Quinn/Patricia can sell the Fords on the fact that they are undertaking a serious rebuild and thus potentially get the "playoffs-or-fired" threat lifted for at least this season. 

3. As we all know, former BB assistants who go on to lead other teams universally go after players from the same system. The Lions, Texans, Titans and now Dolphins heavily pursue New England castoffs and castoffs from each other's teams. Furthermore, the ties extend beyond the NFL straight to, you know where, Alabama and Nick Saban, meaning Tua already has a connection there. 

My gut tells me Cam Newton ends up there. Admittedly though, I don't know a lot about Cam's football IQ; would he have issues picking up McDaniels' offense? Not gonna lie, I don't like the idea of Newton ending up in Boston. No one resurrects an all pro career quite like BB can, and I can only imaging what kind of horrifying things Josh McDaniels could cook up with an athlete like that. *If* he can even get healthy. Lisfranc injuries ain't no joke.  

Just now, 1234567 said:

My gut tells me Cam Newton ends up there. Admittedly though, I don't know a lot about Cam's football IQ; would he have issues picking up McDaniels' offense? Not gonna lie, I don't like the idea of Newton ending up in Boston. No one resurrects an all pro career quite like BB can, and I can only imaging what kind of horrifying things Josh McDaniels could cook up with an athlete like that. *If* he can even get healthy. Lisfranc injuries ain't no joke.  

I don’t know why Carolina would actively get rid of a competent to good quarterback with a couple more years on his deal but it is what it is with a new regime and all. Cam’s main issue is health 

Before anyone brings up Gurley...no, no, no, absolutely not. Not even if it’s for next to nothing. They’re running backs. They fall off trees. No reason to bring in one who’s physically broken.

On the other hand...I do want to see just how cheap Gordon is.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Before anyone brings up Gurley...no, no, no, absolutely not. Not even if it’s for next to nothing. They’re running backs. They fall off trees. No reason to bring in one who’s physically broken.

On the other hand...I do want to see just how cheap Gordon is.

I like the way you think, BB

24 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Aw man, if all it took was $4M to get Mackenzie Alexander, I’m sad we missed out. He’s been a real good slot guy, but I think he’s someone with a chance to show well outside, too. 

I like him too. The market being so depressed at this point bodes well though. There are some quality corners still available and not much money left to spend league-wide.

Keeping an eye on Bashaud Breeland, who for some reason no team ever wants even though he’s been a productive player.

Edited by BroncoBruin

9 minutes ago, SenorClean2k0 said:

Looks like Gordon is on his way to denver 

I don’t see this as much of an upgrade. Unless they’re named Barry Sanders, rb’s have to have holes to run through. Unless we fix that, he isn’t going to fare any better than Freeman. 

• Like 1