2020 Bears Free Agent Moves - Yay! or boo?

dll2000

Having trouble bouncing around to all different threads and finding new discussions so I just made a new one.

1.  Trevathan 

2020 Contract details by year 30 $3,000,000 $800,000 $300,000 - $200,000 $4,300,000 $17,250,000 $7,500,000($7,500,000)  
2021 Contract details by year 31 $3,000,000 $800,000 $300,000 $725,000 $200,000 $5,025,000 $13,450,000 $7,125,000($14,625,000)  
2022 Contract details by year 32 $2,500,000 $800,000 $800,000 $1,631,250 $200,000 $5,931,250 $8,925,000 $7,125,000($21,750,000)

Good player - outspoken locker room leader - good candidate to miss time due to injury.   We let the younger back up go for similar money.

I call it a coin flip move.

Jimmy Graham-

Instant hate from all over beardom.  16 million w. 9 million guaranteed is primary reason.  

Mean analysis - a washed up bad blocker, cashing a check who will likely sit half the season while eating up valuable cap space.

Brightside analysis - an adequate blocker who actually played better than his stats and his stats were better than what Bears were getting, was often open early and not targeted by Rodgers, made big catches and key plays in several games for Packers.   May have overpaid, but is best active TE on Bears right now.

Boo!

3. Quinn

Another surprise along with cutting of Floyd.   Many of us said cut Floyd, but few thought it would happen.  It did. Kudos to Pace here.   Huge upgrade for defensive front, but team still has major depth problem.

Yay!

All I have for now as I am busy.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Jackson extension = A+
Trevathan = A
Graham = F
Quinn = A+

I wouldn't grade the Graham move too harshly. I don't love it either, but he'll be a much better mentor to any young TEs we get than head-case Burton ever would be. It also means Pace may actually bite the bullet and take the cap hits that come from cutting Burton and Shaheen. 

• Like 1

All of talk radio and twitter seems to believe its new FA QB or 2020 bust.

I just don't know who you get (that is still out there) other than Brady that is going to be take you to promised land that much better.   And with what money.

I kinda would like to give Winston a shot for a bargain price.  

I hated him since college and wouldn't have drafted him, but teammates love him and he crosses the goal line with regularity.   It would be fun.

You need someone to play QB 1 or 2.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I wouldn't grade the Graham move too harshly. I don't love it either, but he'll be a much better mentor to any young TEs we get than head-case Burton ever would be. It also means Pace may actually bite the bullet and take the cap hits that come from cutting Burton and Shaheen. 

I thought about giving it a D. I'm giving it an F because I don't think much of him and we did slightly overpay for him -- just not nearly as much as some people are making it out to be.

Graham is probably only getting 4.5 this year so if Pace releases Shaheen and Braunecker (which would not surprise me) that would clear 2.74M in cap space, with only 760k in dead-cap, which would essentially cover over half of Graham's deal for this season. 

• Like 1

I think if you go back and watch a few Green Bay games late in season you will see Graham isn't that bad and is actually kinda good.  Better than our guys.   I think he was hurt most of year.  

He is poorly used by Rodgers.

Not going to excuse price though.

Leonard Floyd had 26 pressures in 16 games last season for the #Bears. Robert Quinn had 35 in 14 games for the Cowboys.

---

And think on this.  I understand Quinn faced a number of chip blocks and doubles.  So factor that in to above numbers. 

I can't remember Floyd getting doubled once.  Probably happened, but not often.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Leonard Floyd had 26 pressures in 16 games last season for the #Bears. Robert Quinn had 35 in 14 games for the Cowboys.

---

And think on this.  I understand Quinn faced a number of chip blocks and doubles.  So factor that in to above numbers. 

I can't remember Floyd getting doubled once.  Probably happened, but not often.  

I believe vs the Raiders he was chipped inside to let Sharpe get his hands on him and then was folded in a very McClelling type of fashion once the big man got to him. He was a ghost that game. 

Jackson extension = A+
Trevathan = B
Graham = C
Quinn = A+

Jackson's extension speaks for itself.  

DT ots talented but injury prone.  Not a bad value if he can stay healthy for a change.

Burton getting cut next year will cover a ton of Graham's cap hit, so with a lower cap hit this year and Burton's freed cap next year he is cheaper overall than it looks. He isn't going to sniff 800 yards but with Tru often getting super conservative he will get a lot of first downs and has the range to help with Tru's sporadic accuracy. Overpaid regardless and only a bandaid though. 

Quinn gives us the best EDGE duo we're have had in forever.  Our nickel line looks like Quinn-Hicks-RRH-Mack. That's a bitchin passrush, especially with Smith being a plus passrusher from ILB. 

Bottom line is O line plays better than 2019 either with guys they have or some new guys or this team is going nowhere.

I don't care which QB they bring in or who else they sign.

O line can't have a 2019 repeat.

I hope new O line coach is brutally honest and doesn't 'protect' his guys.   To me you don't protect your guys from HC.  You protect them from media.

You and HC are on same team.  If Long or anyone else is playing like hot garbage than you need to be telling your HC that we need a new dude in there.  I don't care who is it that is playing like garbage.  

They let guys skate last year.  Some games it was Long some games it was Daniels some games it was Leno.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They let guys skate last year.  Some games it was Long some games it was Daniels some games it was Leno.

They let a LOT of guys skate. And not just on the O line. They let Mack skate, for cryin' out loud. 

• Like 1

Taking DT over Kwit was the smart move even for equal $$$.  Despite his injury history Trevathan is a defensive leader and the QB of the defense.  He's the guy with the green dot on his helmet calling defensive signals.  The difference is his intangibles.

Graham is a act of pure desperation.  It's obvious they no longer trust Burton to be "the guy" and despite some flashes none of the younger guys have the kind of experience Nagy needs out of a "U" TE.  Since every TE seems to be getting overpaid I'll give Pace a pass on it too.

Quinn was a guy I'd never even thought of.  He and Mack are gonna create a whole pile of problems for OL.  I thought his price tag was a bit high but like I said prices are rising rapidly and if he's a consistent double digit sack guy he'll earn every penny.  Floyd had to go.

Now the biggest target is a vet QB.

• Like 2