2020 Bears Free Agent Moves - Yay! or boo?

dll2000

Signing Graham was a mistake. This team is in desperate need of an infusion of youth at the position. We need players that are young and hungry.

Thumbs up on the other moves though.

Overall: 8/10

Postscript: Our Offensive Line still needs addressing.

Edited by BACK2MACKSACK

53 minutes ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

Signing Graham was a mistake. This team is in desperate need of an infusion of youth at the position. We need players that are young and hungry.

Thumbs up on the other moves though.

Overall: 8/10

Postscript: Our Offensive Line still needs addressing.

Olsen has missed almost 20 games since 2017

• Like 2

Said this in the other thread - if Graham was Olsen people would be pretty happy with it. They’re the same guy at this point and got basically the same money. Quinn for Floyd is a home run for me. DT returning is a solid move as well especially with the low cap numbers.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Said this in the other thread - if Graham was Olsen people would be pretty happy with it. They’re the same guy at this point and got basically the same money. Quinn for Floyd is a home run for me. DT returning is a solid move as well especially with the low cap numbers.

I would be way less happy with Olsen.  Olsen is broken and should just retire.  You might as well bring in Eifert.  He will probably play in more games.  

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I would be way less happy with Olsen.  Olsen is broken and should just retire.  You might as well bring in Eifert.  He will probably play in more games.  

I think you’re in the minority on Olsen. People seemed by and large pissed we didn’t call him. Eifert is no different either except that he’s been unhealthy most of his career. He’s gotten some wind here as a guy to fill a patch type role too. I don’t see how Graham is really any different than bringing in either of those two at all, except that you’re buying more relative certainty he’ll suit up on Sundays. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think you’re in the minority on Olsen. People seemed by and large pissed we didn’t call him. Eifert is no different either except that he’s been unhealthy most of his career. He’s gotten some wind here as a guy to fill a patch type role too. I don’t see how Graham is really any different than bringing in either of those two at all, except that you’re buying more relative certainty he’ll suit up on Sundays. 

I watched All or Nothing and then went back and watched Carolina play on game pass.  Newton and Olsen are simply liabilities at this point not pluses.   They actually hurt you by playing.  

Nick Foles

I give it a B.  I can't really explain his extreme inconsistent play.  Guy is both great and awful.

I think he was best of bad options for Bears.  We were over thinking other options.    

He knows system which is a huge plus with no OTAs for time being.   A lot of other guys would have to be taught.   

Let's go!

Lots of emotion but now from Macro view we got:

Nick Foles, QB: Acquired in a trade with the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for a fourth-round pick (No. 140 overall), Garafolo reported. Foles' current contract will be restructured as part of the deal. The trade will not become official until the new league year starts at 4 p.m. ET on March 18.

Jimmy Graham, TE: Signing a two-year deal worth $16 million, per Rapoport.

Robert Quinn, Edge: Agreed to a five-year, $70 million contract that includes $30 million guaranteed, per his agent, Sean Kiernan.

Danny Trevathan, LB: Agreed to a three-year extension worth $21.75 million in base value and has a maximum of $24 million. The deal includes $14 million in guarantees, Rapoport reported.

TE is not who we wanted, but it is an inarguable upgrade over what we had.

QB is likely an upgrade.  At his best is a huge upgrade.

Edge is a huge upgrade and could improve an already very good defense if it can stay healthy and a young player or three steps up.  

We kept a good player in Trevathan.

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

TE is not who we wanted, but it is an inarguable upgrade over what we had.

QB is likely an upgrade.  At his best is a huge upgrade.

Edge is a huge upgrade and could improve an already very good defense if it can stay healthy and a young player or three steps up.  

We kept a good player in Trevathan.

Now can these moves utterly fail?  Yes.  Where they necessary because of bad first round drafting?  Yes.  But a lot of other draft picks have worked out.  

But like I have been saying when defending Pace from the pitch fork folks, he consistently makes logical and defendable decisions given his given situation at moment, he manages the cap very well and writes good contracts for most part.

In hindsight do they work out?  No.  But I think we have solid professional GM, who is good leader and manager and getting rid of him could result in something much worse.