2020 Bears Free Agent Moves - Yay! or boo?

dll2000

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bell or Karl Joseph are my guys at SS. 

Same, and Joseph just signed for Cleveland, not seen how much for yet. I really wanted Joseph, but all aboard the Bell train now.

Eric Reid got released by Carolina too, he's still only 28 and I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) played SS for the Panthers. Could be worth a look too.

So I think Bears made a mistake at TE, but they probably got 2nd best pass catching TE on FA market.

If the Foles deal is restructured down to 21 million guaranteed over 3 years then they got the best combination of price/ Quality short term veteran QB available.

They nailed the Floyd upgrade with Quinn.

I think the big question mark now is O line composition.   If we get same play we got last year we are likely toast even if we brought in Brady.   There has to be improvement in play and/or personnel.   

20 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I watched All or Nothing and then went back and watched Carolina play on game pass.  Newton and Olsen are simply liabilities at this point not pluses.   They actually hurt you by playing.  

Yeah, I'm not in any way getting why some of the media think we were nuts to trade for Foles if Newton is available.  He has a bad shoulder on his throwing arm and a foot injury that may impact his mobility and he can't even pass a physical right now so where's the bargain there?

It's like saying someone should put money into a '68 Vette with a bad transmission that won't even start just because it was once a hot car..

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Graham: F

Way too much money and too big a role for a guy screaming into decline.

Quinn: B+

I like it, makes the defense better, but pulled big resources away from the offense.

Foles: C

I get it, but it was a lot to take on and give up for a guy who outside of a playoff run isnt that good.

I won't had out grades because I believe FA moves are very subjective and in all too many cases some of the biggest deals turned out very poorly for the buying team when a players performance failed to equal his paycheck.  Yet most of those deals earned an A grade in the media.  So here's my subjective take on each of them so far.

Danny Trevathan - Pace had to keep at least one of the three ILBs who were hitting FA and for now I believe he made the right choice.  I loved Kwit from the very first game I saw him play.  Despite his physical limitations he showed great instincts and is plainly a very good football player.  He should continue to do well in LV.  But even 3 years older, more frequently injured, and for the same price DT brings many intangibles that Kwit just could not.  In the locker room and on the field he's seen as a team leader and someone whose respected. Plus even at age 29 I saw no decline in his play last season prior to what was really a freak injury.  I'm glad we were able to re-sign him.

Jimmy Graham - This was a pretty obvious desperation grab by Pace and Nagy.  We had him locked up very quickly after GB released him and I doubt there was even much price negotiation that took place.  Pace made a high enough offer to cast doubt that anyone else would offer more so I think it was one of the wham bam thank ya' ma'am deals.  Like here's our offer take it now or were moving on to another target.  Unless somehow Burton returns as the same player he was in 2018 Graham even at his age is an upgrade over any other TE on the roster.  And even if Burton does return to form we're doubly blessed with two good receiving TEs and some young talent we can still develop.  So yeah, it was costly but that's what happens when your higher draft picks fail and prize FA gets injured.

Robert Quinn - We had to do something about Floyd's option salary and at the same time improve our pass rush so provided we get the same version of Quinn that Dallas got last year we made the right move.  Initially I was expecting an extension for Floyd that would lower his cap hit and the addition of a guy like Beasley on a one year prove it deal but given the deals being handed out to both (Beasley; $12 mil/$9.5 gtd) and Floyd ($10 mil) that made no sense at all.  So Quinn, who wasn't even on my scope was a good move.  I can't help but thinking playing with Mack and Hicks will help him to be even more productive.  Teams can't double up and chip all of them.  But we still need to add some depth at OLB or maybe Vaughters will step up this year and take a backup spot.

Nick Foles - Although Dalton was my first choice in view of how the Coronavirus will impact this season Foles may well be the better choice of the two.  The only real question is do we get the version of him who spent 5 seasons in Philly or some other version.  If it's the Philly version then we have a setup much like he had in Philly with Carson Wentz where Wentz was gonna get the starting nod but Foles was right there behind him to take over when needed.  What's impressive is how well he's managed to keep himself prepared to step in quickly and produce so many times.  So I'm hoping that's the Nick Foles we get.  The deal is the deal.  I don't much care about a very late 4th round pick since the value Foles brings is much greater than whoever we may have drafted with that pick would have.  His contract works to our advantage if he does manage to push Mitch into becoming what's always been expected of him and if not and he supplants Mitch we should at least have a starting caliber QB for 2021-2022 while we re-draft for a QB and develop him.  It may not be perfect but it's hard to deny the "fit" doesn't make sense on nearly every level.

The bottom line is we took care of four of our greatest needs and can now look to fill some other needs in the second wave of FA so Pace can again focus his draft more on the player than a position.  I'm OK with all of this so far.

Edited by soulman

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Not angry but would have definitely preferred Ebron at this price over Graham.

Agreed, which makes me think that it wasn't so much a "desperation" move from Pace to sign graham than other factors.  Not saying thats a good thing, but maybe they actually like Graham more than the other guys out there.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Less than Graham.

I'll wait for the angry posts.  

I made one in the other Free Agency thread. I'll make another one here, just so you don't hate me. :)

WTF, PACE?!?!

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1