Week 3 - Rams at 49ers TNF

RamRod

Almost game day once again, so I'll post another game day thread. If anybody else wants to post them or maybe do something creative with them then go ahead.

Hopefully, we're motivated from our loss against the Redskins and can take home a win from a very winnable game.

Get ready for the mustard uniforms again

This is a huge game for the Rams.  A 2-1 record to start the season would be a great step in continuing the trend of positivity this season.  I expect a better defensive effort from the Rams defensive front partly because the Niners offensive line is not as talented as the Redskins offensive line.  Aaron Donald is slowly but surely finding his rhythm and when that happens - look out!  Some good news, it looks like Trumaine Johnson may play, we'll have to see if he practices later in the week, but it is looking good as of right now.  

With all that said, the Niners are a very feisty bunch and divisional games can always be tricky.  Lets have an exciting clean game with no injuries on either side!

By the way, I really like the Rams Color Rush uniforms.  I think they look great.

The Rams win this game by double digit points. That game against Washington was going to be tough because of the Rams not having a regular week knowing they had to prepare for both Washington and the Niners in a short period of time. The Rams will be ready to show up and show out on prime time. They haven't forgotten that 28-0 beat down in San Fran on prime time last season. The Rams will be looking for revenge. 

As with all Ram games, this game scares me.  Hyde is coming off a big game against a tough defense and we are coming off a pathetic rush defense game.  If we can straighten out our defense on this short week, I think we have an excellent chance to with this game.   Also noting, the whiners have actually played pretty good defense this year so far, though they lost 2 safeties and are without Foster this week.

I am just hoping Goff confidence isn't shot from that horrible pick he through at the end of the last game.  If he is even average this game, we should pull out the victory because Hoyer has been bad.

BTW - Personally love the color rush jerseys we are wearing!

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, stl4life07 said:

The Rams win this game by double digit points. That game against Washington was going to be tough because of the Rams not having a regular week knowing they had to prepare for both Washington and the Niners in a short period of time. The Rams will be ready to show up and show out on prime time. They haven't forgotten that 28-0 beat down in San Fran on prime time last season. The Rams will be looking for revenge. 

I've seen you say this a couple times now (sorry if it wasn't you all those times, but I've seen this point made, regardless). I don't agree with it. As a head coach, I don't see how you take anything away from your nearest matchup to focus on a game afterwards just because it's a short week in between--especially for a team of the 49ers caliber this year. I think that Washington just flat out beat us. We'd all like a simple excuse as to why, but they beat us with the run and didn't turn the ball over twice like we did. Those things add up. It's still early in the year and we shouldn't let it discourage us because we still look much improved. But I think to blame the loss on preparing for San Francisco is inaccurate.

As for our game tonight...

First off, everything about the uniforms that we'll be sporting tonight should lead me to hate them, but for some odd reason or another, I actually really like them.

This is a game that we SHOULD win, as opposed to last week where it was a winnable game. Talent-wise, I think we've got the superior team to San Fran and we should win this game--by a decent margin, too. While I'll always take the win, barely winning our matchup with them may raise a red flag to me. Losing would cause a true "oh no" moment and would give me (and likely most of us) Vietnam flashbacks of the SOSAR.

Things I'm specifically looking for:

I'd like to see Goff have a bounce-back game. He didn't play terrible last week, but he certainly ended on a bad note. Does he let that bog down his confidence or does learn from it and rise to the occasion tonight?

Improved run defense. Yes, Washington's O-Line is likely better than San Fran's, but I think Carlos Hyde is a more talented runner than what the Redskins have.

Let's try to get Sammy Watkins going. Even if it's just one big play--hell, even an attempt at a deep ball with him. I understand that he's not fully in sync with the offense yet so he's not going to immediately be the focal point of the offense, but he is a dangerous weapon, nonetheless. Utilizing him as such will open up the rest of the offense so much more. I fully trust McVay here that he knows what he's doing though.

A win. (see above). 2-1 feels real good, while 1-2 can put a sour taste in your mouth pretty quickly.

22 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I've seen you say this a couple times now (sorry if it wasn't you all those times, but I've seen this point made, regardless). I don't agree with it. As a head coach, I don't see how you take anything away from your nearest matchup to focus on a game afterwards just because it's a short week in between--especially for a team of the 49ers caliber this year. I think that Washington just flat out beat us. We'd all like a simple excuse as to why, but they beat us with the run and didn't turn the ball over twice like we did. Those things add up. It's still early in the year and we shouldn't let it discourage us because we still look much improved. But I think to blame the loss on preparing for San Francisco is inaccurate.

Not saying that this game is an excuse for losing to the Skins last week, but these Thursday Night games have proven to be awful. They mess with everything and teams usually have some of their worst games right before and during their TNF matchup.

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not saying that this game is an excuse for losing to the Skins last week, but these Thursday Night games have proven to be awful. They mess with everything and teams usually have some of their worst games right before and during their TNF matchup.

Yeah I don't think anyone besides the NFL Network is happy about TNF. They're always garbage games and usually matchups between trash teams.

1 hour ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

It's not an excuse but McVay even said he was conservative in his play calling. The Rams held out Webster in that game, possibly could be so he could play Week 3 on the short week. Like we don't know what decisions are made because of playing on TNF. McVay literally sleeping in the office trying to prepare for both Washington and San Fran. I don't know the record of team playing the week before playing on TNF but if I had to guess I'm sure it's not great. So far this season (Bengals, Texans, Rams, Niners) combined (0-4) the week before playing on TNF. 

Archived