Week 3 - Rams at 49ers TNF

RamRod

Of course he should catch it doesn't the saying go if a receiver puts his hands on the ball he should catch it? Just comical the refusing to credit a 49er player for making a good play and knocking the ball out. I'm not going to get upset or criticize Higbee though for a defender making a good play. We Rams fans give our defenders credit for what this guy did but apparently won't acknowledge when another defender makes a good play. 

12 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Of course he should catch it doesn't the saying go if a receiver puts his hands on the ball he should catch it? Just comical the refusing to credit a 49er player for making a good play and knocking the ball out. I'm not going to get upset or criticize Higbee though for a defender making a good play. We Rams fans give our defenders credit for what this guy did but apparently won't acknowledge when another defender makes a good play. 

And that's the problem. Rather than give Higbee the criticism he deserves, you're making excuses for a guy who hasn't performed this year. That's the type of crap we saw from the WRs and TEs we booted from this team after the 2016 season. Big time players make big time plays. That was a routine play, and Higbee blew it by juggling the ball.

Should we give credit for the 49ers DB on the deep ball Woods caught? He hit Woods right after he caught it. Had Woods been juggling the ball, he would have dropped it. But no, we don't give the player credit because Woods did his job and caught the ball. Higbee didn't. That is Higbee's fault.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

And that's the problem. Rather than give Higbee the criticism he deserves, you're making excuses for a guy who hasn't performed this year. That's the type of crap we saw from the WRs and TEs we booted from this team after the 2016 season. Big time players make big time plays. That was a routine play, and Higbee blew it by juggling the ball.

Should we give credit for the 49ers DB on the deep ball Woods caught? He hit Woods right after he caught it. Had Woods been juggling the ball, he would have dropped it. But no, we don't give the player credit because Woods did his job and caught the ball. Higbee didn't. That is Higbee's fault.

hahaha You got it man I'm sorry. Never again will I credit a defender, ours or opposition, for knocking a ball out of a receivers hands. It happens to the best of them but I guess it's their fault a defender makes a great play. Big time Antionio Brown, Julio Jones OBJ yeah they all have it happen to them but it's just them screwing up not a good defensive play.

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

hahaha You got it man I'm sorry. Never again will I credit a defender, ours or opposition, for knocking a ball out of a receivers hands. It happens to the best of them but I guess it's their fault a defender makes a great play. Big time Antionio Brown, Julio Jones OBJ yeah they all have it happen to them but it's just them screwing up not a good defensive play.

You are conflating truly contested passes, where the defender is step for step with the receiver, and knocking the ball out with what happened to Higbee, which was an out and out drop. 

Sure the DB made a play at the end, but he got burned (good route by Higbee) but Goff threw what many would call a perfect pass in that situation (right in his gut where no one can pick off a pass over the middle) and he didn't secure it. When it first gets to Higbee, there is no defender on him, no one cause the bobble by him, that was all him not concentrating and following through with the catch. 

Sure after that, when he is bobbling the ball and trying to reel it back in, the defender makes a play. But the fact is he should have NEVER had the opportunity to make that play. That great pass should have been secured immediately (issues we've had in the past) and Higbee falls into the endzone. 

The fact is if you are in either teams film room, the Rams are calling it a drop (Higbee would tell you the same) and the Niners are saying good recovery but you got beat and got luck you had the chance to make a play. 

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You are conflating truly contested passes, where the defender is step for step with the receiver, and knocking the ball out with what happened to Higbee, which was an out and out drop. 

Sure the DB made a play at the end, but he got burned (good route by Higbee) but Goff threw what many would call a perfect pass in that situation (right in his gut where no one can pick off a pass over the middle) and he didn't secure it. When it first gets to Higbee, there is no defender on him, no one cause the bobble by him, that was all him not concentrating and following through with the catch. 

Sure after that, when he is bobbling the ball and trying to reel it back in, the defender makes a play. But the fact is he should have NEVER had the opportunity to make that play. That great pass should have been secured immediately (issues we've had in the past) and Higbee falls into the endzone. 

The fact is if you are in either teams film room, the Rams are calling it a drop (Higbee would tell you the same) and the Niners are saying good recovery but you got beat and got luck you had the chance to make a play. 

Wait so you acknowledge the defender knocks the ball out. But because he had the defender beat and the defender made a recovery and got into position to knock it out of his hands it changes from a good play to a drop. So because the defender made a great play to cover space after he'd been beaten it isn't a good play after all. Sounds more like you're arguing Higbee had the defender beat and then Goff under threw it allowing the defender to close the gap and make the play. Either way this is one of the most idiotic things I've seen argued here on this forum and that's a huge hill to climb. A defender made a play but because he had to close the distance to make the play it's a drop. I'm done here have a great day hope you enjoy your Sunday football.

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Wait so you acknowledge the defender knocks the ball out. But because he had the defender beat and the defender made a recovery and got into position to knock it out of his hands it changes from a good play to a drop. So because the defender made a great play to cover space after he'd been beaten it isn't a good play after all. Sounds more like you're arguing Higbee had the defender beat and then Goff under threw it allowing the defender to close the gap and make the play. Either way this is one of the most idiotic things I've seen argued here on this forum and that's a huge hill to climb. A defender made a play but because he had to close the distance to make the play it's a drop. I'm done here have a great day hope you enjoy your Sunday football.

Yea, you're the only guy who interpreted what he said that way. It's pretty clear what he's saying. Why? Because two other people have said the exact same thing. Tyler Higbee beat Tartt over the top. Jared Goff put the throw right into his two hands and stomach. Higbee had a chance to secure the throw, run, and score. Instead, Higbee juggled the ball. While Higbee juggled the ball, Tartt was able to get his hand in and separate Higbee's hands. This ended any chance he had at gaining control of the ball.

Thus, the order of events are clear here. Higbee had an opportunity to cleanly catch the ball. He failed to do so. This allowed the defender to separate the ball from him. The defender did so.

IIRC, there was a play last year where a DB got burnt on a double move. The QB underthrew the ball, the WR bobbled it, and the DB was able to run back in and punch it out. That was not a great play by the DB. That was a poor play by both the QB and WR. This time, Goff didn't underthrow the ball, but Higbee did bobble it. That's what ruined the play. So far, three posters have all chimed in with the same interpretation of the play while you told them that they were wrong.

You're excusing the sort of crap that Quick, Britt, Kendricks, Austin, etc. used to do in past years that would infuriate us. QB would give them a chance to make a big play, they wouldn't catch it cleanly, and it would end up incomplete or intercepted. 

Do you remember the play where Matt Breida juggled the screen catch, got hit from behind by Ogletree, and Donald almost picked it off? Would you say that was a great defensive play by Ogletree? No. Breida should have caught the ball cleanly. Ogletree just did his job in finishing the play after Breida's error.

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

In fact, here are some photos that show Higbee had a chance to catch it cleanly before the defender got his hand in there:

Higbee_1.png

Higbee_2.png

Higbee_3.png

Higbee_3_5.png

Higbee_4.png

You're entitled to your opinion, my friend, but I don't see it the same way.

If you look at Higbee's reaction he knew he should've caught it even - perfectly thrown ball

Jrry I said in a previous post I think teams are starting to catch on to him. None of those plays were from last season and certainly not this season. I dont want to continue this argument because at the end of the day I think we all agree that he will be cut next year unless he takes a massive paycut.

Since hes still here, I hope he cleans it up and stops bobbling the ball.

11 hours ago, S-jax39 said:

Jrry I said in a previous post I think teams are starting to catch on to him. None of those plays were from last season and certainly not this season. I dont want to continue this argument because at the end of the day I think we all agree that he will be cut next year unless he takes a massive paycut.

Is this in reference to Tavon or Higbee? Because Higbee is dirt cheap.

23 hours ago, S-jax39 said:

That argument doesn't make any sense. If the skill didn't translate to the field, it wouldn't translate to the field. Hell, Austin was an illegal horse-collar tackle from taking a jet sweep in for a TD in our last game. We can all agree he's gone after this year unless he takes a paycut, but you're not going to get any agreement from me on the extreme stance you've taken regarding his skill-set.

Archived