Bengals sign Trae Waynes

Johnny Nix

50 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Sign someone, anyone you say.  Overpay to do it if you must.  Get rid of WhoDre for the last few years.

They do both and still y'all BMW.  Therapy?

I'll reserve judgement. I'm just glad they realized FA started, honestly. 

• Like 3

Waynes has his issues, but he is still just 27 and has more upside than Dre.  We're getting around the guaranteed money conundrum by giving him a crap ton on money in year one while we have the cap space so it essentially makes it guaranteed money without having to call it guaranteed money.  Getting creative, which I like.  Debatable if it's an upgrade over Dre, but Dre's time in Cincinnati was essentially up regardless.  The contract will only have Waynes signed through his age 30 season while Dre will turn 31 this season.  CB is still an option at 33, but if the value isn't there, we certainly don't have to force it now.

What I am afraid is that they will still force a LB pick at 33.  Which i'm ok with if it is Baun, but 33 is a little rich for Malik Harrison.  Maybe a trade down and pick up another 3rd and then get Harrrison?

31 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

What I am afraid is that they will still force a LB pick at 33.  Which i'm ok with if it is Baun, but 33 is a little rich for Malik Harrison.  Maybe a trade down and pick up another 3rd and then get Harrrison?

This is what I’m thinking as well. If Baun, Queen, and Murray are gone, entertain a trade back (unless there is an obvious BPA). My only issue with that is that this team is completely transparent with who they’re targeting, which makes us susceptible to teams jumping us for the prospect we’re after. I fee it happens almost every year. 

I did another mock last night, and it’s more possible now than it was a week ago one of Queen or Murray fall nearer pick 33. Two teams in particular - Vegas and Jacksonville - have filled their need via FA. The Raiders signed Littleton and Kwiatkowski, the Jags signed Schobert (and already have Myles Jack). But like I said, teams know we want a LB. If one is sitting on the board around 29, I’d expect a more aggressive team to jump back into the first. 

41 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

CB is still an option at 33, but if the value isn't there, we certainly don't have to force it now.

The only thing I don’t like about this is that I want to resign WJIII. Taking a corner at 33 and signing Waynes to that deal all but take that away.

42 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

This is what I’m thinking as well. If Baun, Queen, and Murray are gone, entertain a trade back (unless there is an obvious BPA). My only issue with that is that this team is completely transparent with who they’re targeting, which makes us susceptible to teams jumping us for the prospect we’re after. I fee it happens almost every year. 

I did another mock last night, and it’s more possible now than it was a week ago one of Queen or Murray fall nearer pick 33. Two teams in particular - Vegas and Jacksonville - have filled their need via FA. The Raiders signed Littleton and Kwiatkowski, the Jags signed Schobert (and already have Myles Jack). But like I said, teams know we want a LB. If one is sitting on the board around 29, I’d expect a more aggressive team to jump back into the first. 

The only thing I don’t like about this is that I want to resign WJIII. Taking a corner at 33 and signing Waynes to that deal all but take that away.

Agreed, but at this point, i'll be kind of surprised if there aren't equivalent options at OL, LB, or WR at 33, and if not, that's when you look to trade down.  If Jefferson/Mims, or Baun are there, make the pick, if not, trade back (no more than 7-9 spots unless we're picking up a 2021 1st) and then reassess.

I'd rather get WJ3 locked up as well, but I don't think it's a calamity if he's not, especially if we can hit of a CB at 33, which is why I wouldn't rule it out all together.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Agreed, but at this point, i'll be kind of surprised if there aren't equivalent options at OL, LB, or WR at 33, and if not, that's when you look to trade down.  If Jefferson/Mims, or Baun are there, make the pick, if not, trade back (no more than 7-9 spots unless we're picking up a 2021 1st) and then reassess.

I'd rather get WJ3 locked up as well, but I don't think it's a calamity if he's not, especially if we can hit of a CB at 33, which is why I wouldn't rule it out all together.

I think they will have options at 33 that we don't necessarily think will be there.  Obviously we will pounce if Queen, Baun or Murray are there.  Don't forget we still have the Dalton trad piece.  I wouldn't be shocked if we threw Dalton to NE with 33 for 23.  Or we send him to Chicago with our 4th or 5th in exchange for #50, and make a move on Harrison there.  Davis Gaither in the third, or Dye in the 3rd, are also possibilities.