Jets sign C Connor McGovern

Abe56

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Again, the details are everything. 

• Fant - 3 years, $27.3 million... $9.5 million guaranteed
  • McGovern - 3 years, $27 million... $18 million guaranteed

McGovern is absolutely expected to be our starter for the next 2 years. Fant is competing for one. 

it is sad that we always assume the worst out of FA signings.   

Edited by JetsandI

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

I love this.   Had him right up there with Glasgow. Glasgow got the edge due to position flexibility,  but for pure center play pretty close. 

McGovern actually has a lot of starting experience at RG, but he's much better C

He will be the Jets center for the next 3 years and that is great for Sam. The Jets needed this bad plus a cheap deal too. I think he is the middle of the road center like top 15-17 in the league. For the Jets that is huge. Seems like we always have 3 or 4 players bellow on the OL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

He will be the Jets center for the next 3 years and that is great for Sam. The Jets needed this bad plus a cheap deal too. I think he is the middle of the road center like top 15-17 in the league. For the Jets that is huge. Seems like we always have 3 or 4 players bellow on the OL. 

Last year was his first full season at C and he was PFFs 11th rated player. Jets probably viewed him as a lesser version of Glasgow- young, versatile, but ascending. This has the potential to be a steal but at the very least he should be a solid, stabilizing presence at the pivot. If the Jets happen to come upon an elite C prospect in the draft, you can always move  McGovern to G. That’s the value

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

McGovern actually has a lot of starting experience at RG, but he's much better C

yeah hes our center. First legit one we had since Mangold.

McGovern rates out well, so definite upgrade over what we had. Plug him as our starting Center for the next 3 years.

Our OL is gonna suck most likely. The draft is where hopefully we get upgrades. 

Edited by NYJets4716
  • Like 1

The fact McGovern and his fiancée Devin were leaving Denver wasn’t the shock here. They knew that was happening. It’s the where that McGovern couldn’t wait to tell his family. While McGovern was born and raised in North Dakota, his dad was born in New Jersey. His grandparents were born and raised in Brooklyn. He still has a slew of family members in the area.

“For the McGovern side?” he told The Athletic. “It’s a home run.”

Just to shed some light on this. Some FAs it's all about who pays the most. Some want to be in the right fit. Then some want to find a place where they can see themselves settling their families. 

Conklin and his wife are from the midwest. Everything I had heard was that his young family did not want to relocate to the east coast by any means. I had more hope with Glasgow. He had just gotten married and he and his wife are less "serious" and have fun personalities. They seemed like a good fit for this area, but it turned out that like the Conklin's, they really opposed coming out to the east coast unless they absolutely couldn't turn down the money. In fact, they wanted to go to Chicago (where they both have family and where she was from), but the offer just wasn't there. I knew Thuney would be open to coming here or Miami. He's originally from Ohio, but he turned down schools to go to the Carolinas, loves Boston, often travels, seems very cultured, and recently became single. For him, it was probably the perfect time to be in NY or MIA as a 27 year old looking to settle in a new city. Unfortunately for us, he got tagged. 

Then you have McGovern. When I was doing my free agent research, I kind of had some reservations that he and his fiance - both from North Dakota - would want to relocate. Turns out, it was perfect for them... 

Gotta factor in that sometimes these guys are young, building families, and are making a major life decision. Unlike some players who make tons of money and are willing to go place to place, other's want to go somewhere they feel comfortable starting their family. So any news reports you may see about "well they didn't like Gase" or "the Jets didn't do enough" don't always hold water... sometimes it's truly a personal/life decision, no matter how much money you're offering. 

• Like 1

^ It is something we rarely consider, but for lots of these guys it has to be a massive factor. Maybe lots of them just put it out of their mind, knowing their careers will likely only be a few years anyway, but for longer-term players, the lifestyle differences have to be worth serious consideration.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2020 at 11:11 AM, J_E_T_$ said:

that doesn't excite me

Offensive lines don't need to excite, they need to not be a liability. We'll probably draft 1 or 2 offensive linemen who will force competition for the tackle spots. I think we're in a good place with the OL for the first time since we made huge splashes with Woody and Faneca.

10 hours ago, ukjets21 said:

Offensive lines don't need to excite, they need to not be a liability. We'll probably draft 1 or 2 offensive linemen who will force competition for the tackle spots. I think we're in a good place with the OL for the first time since we made huge splashes with Woody and Faneca.

And right now as it stands, 4 of the 5 starters I do not trust. Edoga was a liability last season, we need him to improve vastly. But our OL can look better with the addition of a stud OT 1st round. Lewis and Winters are garbage OGs, both injury prone as well. 

Edoga was drafted knowing he was a few years away. He was thrown in to the fire way too early. Winters can be average if he stays healthy, Lewis I agree with. He should be a backup guy too Winters. I still like Cody Glenn to push for the LT or RT spot depending how the rookie we draft with the 11 pick is good for RT or LT. I think Glenn is the key guy to get right now. 

• Like 1