Sooooo 4th for Cam?

Mojibwe

Yeah that’s the thing about Hurts though and the other qb’s in this class that we have a shot at; not really slam dunks. I’m not saying Cam is by any stretch, but we’ve seen him be amazing at the highest level.

really my argument is “come oooooon” haha

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Ran a quick simulated mock (I know they’re not totally accurate) came up with

1. Jedrick Wills

2. Jalen Hurts

3. Cam Akers ( Trautman, Peoples Jones, Claypool, AJ Dillon, still on board)

4. Akeem Davis-Gaither 

The only non-likely one I see in there is Akers.  Much as Richard Wade and I disagree about a lot of things, he has a point, Ekeler is like a Top 5 paid RB in the league now (which speaks more to the diminishing amounts paid to RB's on second contracts - and was also bolster by Gurley getting released from his deal and McKinnon redoing his, but point remains) and if it's one thing (Ekeler just being one case in point) this scouting staff and team has done very well on, it's identifying quality, useful running backs in UDFA.  It's like their one savant thing that's dependable.  Pope is useful if kept, but he's not so outstanding that he shouldn't be fighting for his roster spot against some competition.  Jackson did fine in most duties called into, save - maybe - goal line, but whether it's Tyrod or someone else, there's a logical progression that suggests with a more mobile QB Lynn feels more comfortable greenlighting QB sneaks in short-and-goal situations.  And RB is one of those positions where there really isn't so much of a impact from "level of competition" gap between D1 and D2 ball; you either got it or you don't, you can either play in the league or your can't.  I know what i would do at that pick, but I don't know that I'd have the confidence in TT and Lynn to do it - which is take Claypool and convert him to TE.  He realistically just needs to bulk, his blocking technique is already solid in that he knows what to do and what he's doing, added bulk and strength should enable him to do it better.  Henry should be locked up, but having a Plan B is advisable and ideally you prefer to have the TE that can be a young QB's best friend before you bring in the young QB.

I also wouldn't put it past Telesco to spend a Day 2 pick on an EDGE guy whose more in the mold of a hand-in-the-dirt DE than a LEO or hybrid-standup guy.  Insurance against losing one of Bosa or Ingram, particularly since Rochell has - I believe - moved on or at least not been brought back.

• Like 1

Forgot about DE, that’s a good point.  I still think Ingram is a trade candidate considering his age and production vs money owed.  Or maybe a restructure with a one or two year extension.  Depending how the draft shakes out for us, Epenesa could be a play in the 2nd

Man, Todd Gurley and his busted arthritic knees get signed before Melvin Gordon?  Melvin got some horrible advice, passing that 10m a year up last off-season was a huge mistake.  I wouldn’t mind bringing him back but at this point I think he has to leave to save face. If he wanted more than 10m and the final number ends up being 6m, I can’t imagine he’d be happy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Man, Todd Gurley and his busted arthritic knees get signed before Melvin Gordon?  Melvin got some horrible advice, passing that 10m a year up last off-season was a huge mistake.  I wouldn’t mind bringing him back but at this point I think he has to leave to save face. If he wanted more than 10m and the final number ends up being 6m, I can’t imagine he’d be happy.  

Probably the worst advice ever. Although I’m pretty pumped he’s not signed at what probably would have been a 4 year $40M deal 😬 

Just such a drop off at the position

• Like 1

Totally agree. The Donkos can have him, I’m hoping we find another explosive type back to go with Ekeler.  I liked Melvin, I never thought his vision was that great, his ballhandling seemed shaky in big moments (Titans come to mind) and he didn’t seem to have that 2nd gear.  If we made a hole, he’d run hard through it, that’s about the best I could say for him, and I thought he really improved in the pass game through the years. But definitely not worth 10m a year for 4 years 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Totally agree. The Donkos can have him, I’m hoping we find another explosive type back to go with Ekeler.  I liked Melvin, I never thought his vision was that great, his ballhandling seemed shaky in big moments (Titans come to mind) and he didn’t seem to have that 2nd gear.  If we made a hole, he’d run hard through it, that’s about the best I could say for him, and I thought he really improved in the pass game through the years. But definitely not worth 10m a year for 4 years 

So Xenos and I wildly disagreed about Gordon’s skill level last year but we both agreed he wasn’t worth what we offered. That was insane to offer that to any running back that doesn’t look like the second coming of LDT. Ekelor I believe for the very top of the market deal I’d give a running back personally. They just aren’t worth handcuffing yourself to anymore. 

• Like 1

I agree, but I also think there’s something to be said for rewarding a guy that’s come in, busted his tail, good locker room guy, winning player etc. I think that was the premise behind our 10m/ offer. It shows other guys on the team, if you buy in and work hard, we’ll reward you. It would have been an overpay for Gordon but probably not a back breaker of a contract either depending on the guaranteed money.  Once he started asking for 13-15m though, then it had to be all about business, and that was just too rich.  

5 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

So Xenos and I wildly disagreed about Gordon’s skill level last year but we both agreed he wasn’t worth what we offered. That was insane to offer that to any running back that doesn’t look like the second coming of LDT. Ekelor I believe for the very top of the market deal I’d give a running back personally. They just aren’t worth handcuffing yourself to anymore. 

The only RB's that should be getting remotely close to bank hereon out (that haven't been drafted yet, at least) are Saquon, McCaffrey, and maybe Cook (I'd still be iffy and want to see another season injury-free and with elite production before even considering it).  I wouldn't even do it with Kamara right now.  He dropped off and showed that while he's a extremely good running back his production is replaceable in that system, even if it's with a lesser talent.

4 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I agree, but I also think there’s something to be said for rewarding a guy that’s come in, busted his tail, good locker room guy, winning player etc. I think that was the premise behind our 10m/ offer. It shows other guys on the team, if you buy in and work hard, we’ll reward you. It would have been an overpay for Gordon but probably not a back breaker of a contract either depending on the guaranteed money.  Once he started asking for 13-15m though, then it had to be all about business, and that was just too rich.  

I think the trick is to do something similar to what the Rams have been doing with Cooper Kupp; finding ways to create bonus-earning opportunities for him even while he's on his rookie deal.  Yes, you pay him more than you initially agreed to, but you're doing it with monies that you still have left over most of the way through the season that you didn't end up using/needing in the preseason.  Sure, you're sacrificing some carryover in cap-room from one season to the next, but you're also keeping a current player who has put his earn on happy and building loyalty.  I kind of feel like this is the future of rookie RB deals that agents will push for anyway: Hit a certain benchmark, trigger a predetermined bonus.

• Like 1

I typically don’t get too excited about offensive tackles but watching Wirfs and Wills has me feeling some type of way lol.  Not sure which one I favor, but I have em both ahead of Thomas and Becton.  Just thinking but with Casey, Harris Jr, King and we tendered Mike Davis, Derwin and Nas (hopefully) I don’t see us going CB at 6 if Okudah was there.  Simmons and Derwin sort of overlap, as much as I like Simmons, I don’t feel we’d go there with an off ball LB.  Just signed Linval, we have Jones, Tillery, Broughton can’t see us going Derrick Brown.  Burrow and Young will go 1-2, most likely Tua 3, I do think the Giants will take one of the tackles.  That should leave us with either Wirfs or Wills, one of the QBs (Herbert or Love). And then I’d say a super dark horse candidate, maybe CeeDee Lamb.  Haven’t seen it mocked to us, but we could seriously use WR help next to Mike and Keenan.  

On 3/20/2020 at 2:49 AM, The LBC said:

The only non-likely one I see in there is Akers.  Much as Richard Wade and I disagree about a lot of things, he has a point, Ekeler is like a Top 5 paid RB in the league now (which speaks more to the diminishing amounts paid to RB's on second contracts - and was also bolster by Gurley getting released from his deal and McKinnon redoing his, but point remains) and if it's one thing (Ekeler just being one case in point) this scouting staff and team has done very well on, it's identifying quality, useful running backs in UDFA.  It's like their one savant thing that's dependable.  Pope is useful if kept, but he's not so outstanding that he shouldn't be fighting for his roster spot against some competition.  Jackson did fine in most duties called into, save - maybe - goal line, but whether it's Tyrod or someone else, there's a logical progression that suggests with a more mobile QB Lynn feels more comfortable greenlighting QB sneaks in short-and-goal situations.  And RB is one of those positions where there really isn't so much of a impact from "level of competition" gap between D1 and D2 ball; you either got it or you don't, you can either play in the league or your can't.  I know what i would do at that pick, but I don't know that I'd have the confidence in TT and Lynn to do it - which is take Claypool and convert him to TE.  He realistically just needs to bulk, his blocking technique is already solid in that he knows what to do and what he's doing, added bulk and strength should enable him to do it better.  Henry should be locked up, but having a Plan B is advisable and ideally you prefer to have the TE that can be a young QB's best friend before you bring in the young QB.

I also wouldn't put it past Telesco to spend a Day 2 pick on an EDGE guy whose more in the mold of a hand-in-the-dirt DE than a LEO or hybrid-standup guy.  Insurance against losing one of Bosa or Ingram, particularly since Rochell has - I believe - moved on or at least not been brought back.

Yeah, I can understand that, and Lynn has put a big emphasis on finding value RB's later or in UDFA.  So just like WR, I'm not as worried about that front, though I would like to see a skill guy brought in in the middle of the draft.  I think we did a great job with the Ekeler deal, with the big part of the deal being that he's 28 by the time the deal runs out, and should be right over his prime. It gives us the time to take shots on other backs and not have to try to give him a big deal.  With RB's, keeping them happy while they're young, and not overpaying when they're older is huge. Wouldn't be shocked to see someone like AJ Dillon, Sewo Onwhateverhisnameis, or some other kind of high upside later round RB drafted in the 5th-7th rounds. I honestly wouldn't even be shocked if they just went pure upside with the 9ers rout and drafted/signed a few of the hugely athletic RB's.

I'm not sure I see the value in Claypool.  You look at those guys and you barely see any of them work out.  I'd MUCH rather grab a guy like Thad Moss who can just do everything, and is a stud blocker right now.  He's a perfect guy for that H Back role to make up for the loss of Watt, plus a lot more value as a receiver.  Don't need to add a FB if we have him. Not only is he a solid receiver, but he's probably the best blocking TE in the draft.  He's a fun piece to move all over the place.

As for edge rushers, I'm not sure what you saw with him, but Rochell got an ERFA tender placed on him.  He seems like a guy they really want to keep around.  But it wouldn't shock me to see them get a hybrid edge type of guy.  I'd bet he wants more of a role player/backup NT type like Khalil Davis/Benito Jones.  But i wouldn't be totally shocked to see them do that. But it would be a very "future need" type of day 2 pick that TT has taken over and over again.  

I'm expecting a LB day 2 though.  Someone like Murray (if by some act of god he's there in the 2nd), Jordyn Brooks (one of my favorite players in the draft after watching him.  Perfect scheme fit for Gus as that run and chase MLB, that honestly reminds me a bit of Bobby Wagner/Kwon Alexander), Patrick Queen (Deion Jones clone), or even Willie Gay (though he's got some extenuating circumstances).  All of them are great fits at MLB for Gus/Smith.  

• Like 1

Cam apparently getting released today. He’s running out of places to play to be honest. Really just us, Jacksonville and NE realistically. Winston still out there also, but I think at this point he’s more of a backup, even with his new eyes 🤓