TCMD (Total Control Mock Draft) 2020

Ghostnote

Total Control Mock Draft 2020

Washington Redskins

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started with a bloated roster. My goal was to reduce the number of large contracts on the roster and get younger talent on both sides of the ball.

The biggest caveat for me was, this was fictional, so I wanted to see what I could do with trading back, and not guaranteeing Chase Young.

Pre-Free Agency Moves

1.  Release Josh Norman (Saved 12.5M)

2. Cut Alex Smith (June 1st) (10.8M Dead Money)

3. Trade Trent Williams to the Bucs for pick 45. (Saved 12.5M)

4. Traded Ryan Kerrigan to the Bears for pick 62. (Saving 11.75M)

5. Traded Montae Nicholson to the Vikings for a 6th round pick.

6. I traded for Leonard Floyd from the Bears for a swap of 2nds (45 for 50) and acquire pick 141.

7. Swapped picks 206 for 211 and received C.J. Beathard to be a backup QB.

8. Traded Jon Allen and pick 148 to Baltimore for Hayden Hurst.

-Jon Allen was odd man out moving to a 4-3.

9. Released Jordan Reed. (Saved 8.5M)

10. Released Trey Quinn and Paul Richardson based on performance.

11. Franchised Brandon Scherff then Extended his contract.

12. Restructured Landon Collins contract.

13. Put in 2 Practice Squad bids for Alize Mack, TE and Teez Tabor, CB. Received Mack and missed out on Tabor. TE’s are now Hayden Hurst, Jeremy Sprinkle, and Alize Mack.

14. Added Mike White from PS bid as back up QB.

15. Traded Troy Apke for Eddie Vanderdoes, DT.

16. Extended Hayden Hurst - 4yr / $18,011,466 (~4.5M AAV)

17. Extended Leonard Floyd - 5yr / $78,000,000 (~15.6M AAV)

Free Agency:

(Signed) Ereck Flowers LG - 3yr / $18,000,000 (6M AAV)

(Signed) Kendall Fuller CB - 5yr / $37,250,000 (~7.4M AAV)

(Signed) Sean Davis S 4yr / $28,900,000 (~7.2M AAV)

(Signed),D.J. Swearinger S 3yr / $17,200,000 (~5.6M AAV)

(Signed) Aaron Colvin CB 3yr / $4,700,000 (~1.6M AAV)

(Signed) Shon Coleman LT - 3yr / $15,550,000 (~5.2M AAV)

(Signed) MyCole Pruitt TE - 3yr / $5,700,001 (~1.9M AAV)

(Signed) Devonta Freeman RB 2yr / $5,700,000 (~2.35M AAV)

(Signed) Buck Allen RB 2yr / $3,100,000 (~1.55M AAV)

(Signed) Laquan Treadwell WR 1yr / $1,000,000

(Signed) Sean Mannion QB 1yr / $733,333

(Signed) Nate Orchard DE 1yr / $475,000

(Signed) Stephone Anthony LB 1yr / $834,750

(Signed) Fish Smithson CB 1yr / $683,333

(Signed) Jerome Cunningham TE 1yr / $683,333

(Signed) Michael Burton FB 1yr / $649,250

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DRAFT:

Miami approached for the #2 pick overall:

5, 18, 142, 2021 3rd rounder, and LB - Jerome Baker (Dolphins leading tackler in 2019 126 Combined). 

- I accepted.

Miami was all in on Tua Tagavailoa at 2 overall. New England had jumped to 3 prior to this trade looking to draft Tua.

I looked at the defensive line and realized that, I might need Chase Young. I also need usable depth. I traded for Leonard Floyd, but with NE missing out on Tua, I was thinking I could trade up ahead of the Lions and grab Chase.

18. Traded #3, #18, #62, 2021 1st Rounder to NE.

- NE Accepted.

With the first pick in the TCMD Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select: Joe Burrow QB, LSU

With the 2nd pick in the TCMD Draft, the Miami Dolphins select: Tua Tagavailoa, QB, Alabama

With the 3rd pick in the draft, the Washington Redskins select:

Chase Young, Edge, Ohio State

19. Traded with NE for pick 50 and received 62, 97, 231, 234, 236.  

20. Bengals wanted to off load OT - Cordy Glenn, and all OT’s I wanted, were gone by the end of the first round. I traded pick 211, 231 and 234 to Cincinnati for Cordy Glenn.

- Sidenote: I was not enamored with any OT’s in this draft besides Wills and Wirfs and they went quick.

21. At pick 62, I got an offer to trade back with Denver to include 95, 129, and 134, WR - DeaSean Hamilton, and QB - Brett Rypien. Considering I also had 97, having 2 close picks was nice. Again, none of the OT’s in the draft I liked were around for pick 50. I took the trade back to 95.

22. With the 95th pick, I saw clear value and took Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia.

23. With the 97th pick, I wanted to bolster more of the offensive line, and I needed someone that would be able to step in if Flowers went south. I drafted Shane Lemieux, G, Oregon. (Lemieux is one of the top 5 G’s in the draft.)

23. With the 105th pick in the draft, I still wanted depth at WR and I took Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty.

24. With the 129th pick in the draft, I took Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon. I feel like an absolute steal to develop and take over for Morgan Moses when his contract is up.

25. With the 134th pick in the draft, I selected Evan Weaver, LB, California. High motor high intensity player with good instincts.

26. With the 181st pick in the draft, I traded up to grab Luqman Barcoo, CB, San Diego State. Plays physical and is active around the ball. Has good hands.

27. With the 217th pick in the draft, I chose Joe Gaziano, DT, Northwestern. Had a 3rd round grade on him and thought this was a steal. Great depth value.

28. With the 231st pick in the draft, I chose Joshua Kelley, RB, UCLA. Depth and PS guy but was productive as a Bruin.

29. With the 236th pick in the draft, I chose Jeremiah Dinson, S, Auburn. Depth, PS, and ST’s potential.

Defense:

DE: Young, Brantley, Anderson

DT: Payne, Vanderdoes

DT: Ioannaidis, Settle, Gaziano

DE: Sweat, Brailford

SLB: L. Floyd, Anderson

MLB: Holcomb, SDH, Weaver

WLB: Baker, JHC

CB: Dunbar, Moreland, Hall

S: Collins, Everett

S: S. Davis, Swearinger, Dinson

SCB: Moreau, Colvin

CB: Fuller, D. Johnson, Barcoo

Offense:

QB: Haskins, Beathard, Rypien, White

RB: Peterson, Guice, Love, Freeman, Allen, Kelley

WR: McLauren, C. Sims, Treadwell

SWR: S. Sims

WR: D. Hamilton, E. Hall, Gandy-Golden

TE: Hurst, Sprinkle, Mack, Pruitt

LT: Glenn, Coleman

LG: Flowers, Lemieux

C: Roullier, Pierschbacher

RG: Scherff, Martin

RT: Moses, Christian, Throckmorton

UDFA Pick Ups:

Jace Whittaker, CB, Arizona

Mustafa Johnson, DT, Colorado

Jeffrey McCullough, LB, Texas

Zack Shackleford, OC, Texas

Scott Frantz, OT, Kansas State

Eric Lee Jr., S, Nebraska

Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State

Juwan Johnson, WR, Oregon

Kendrick Rogers, WR, Texas A&M

All in all I was thrilled with the outcome of this off season mock draft in which I was able to get the free agents I wanted, trades and draft picks I wanted as well. I was able to get great value for the draft picks I was able to pick up.

Thoughts? Comments? Where could I have done better? What did I do badly?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Miami approached for the #2 pick overall:

5, 18, 142, 2021 3rd rounder, and LB - Jerome Baker (Dolphins leading tackler in 2019 126 Combined). 

- I accepted.

Miami was all in on Tua Tagavailoa at 2 overall. New England had jumped to 3 prior to this trade looking to draft Tua.

I looked at the defensive line and realized that, I might need Chase Young. I also need usable depth. I traded for Leonard Floyd, but with NE missing out on Tua, I was thinking I could trade up ahead of the Lions and grab Chase.

18. Traded #3, #18, #62, 2021 1st Rounder to NE.

- NE Accepted.

So you basically got Jerome Baker, a 2020 4th rounder and a 2021 3rd for a 2021 First Rounder and a 2020 3rd Rounder, or am I misreading this?

5 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

So you basically got Jerome Baker, a 2020 4th rounder and a 2021 3rd for a 2021 First Rounder and a 2020 3rd Rounder, or am I misreading this?

That's what it looked like to me. 

I probably would pass on the Jon Allen trade and the NE trade. 

• Like 1

Wouldn’t trade Jon Allen for much, and definitely not for a 27-year-old TE with 43 career receptions. I get that Hurst is a nice well-rounded player, but I think run blocking is mostly just a bonus for modern TEs — it’s critical in some offenses, and perhaps that will be the case with Scott Turner, but if I’m paying as steep a price as Jonathan Allen for a TE, he damn  well better be an elite receiver. 

Incidentally, I don’t think Jon Allen will be odd man out. I’ve run the numbers on here before, and even if they only play at the DT position (and no one gets hurt), I think the three top IDL guys will get just about as many snaps as they did last year. Also, I think either Greek or Allen (or both) will get some snaps at LDE in certain packages or against certain teams. I think Tim Settle might be odd man out, but I figure they can keep him for depth purposes. 

I absolutely love what you got for Trent and Kerrigan. Would do those in a heartbeat, absolutely no questions asked. Love getting picks in that late 2nd round area — there’s gonna be great talent there, and it also gives us ammunition to move up if we see a guy slipping in the late 1st/early 2nd that we love. It really highlights how dumb it will be to keep Kerrigan as a one-year veteran backup luxury on a team that clearly isn’t playing to be competitive in 2021. 

The moves down and up, still ending up with Chase Young, didn’t work out. I think others have already mentioned it, and you probably knew it at the time, so I won’t belabor the point — but we would have been better off just sitting at #2 than doing those two deals. Unless you value Jerome Baker really highly, we lost out on those exchanges.

You got great deals for Fuller and Flowers, and Sean Davis is an interesting addition to the safety mix. I wouldn’t waste time with Swearinger ever again, but I think it was probably a worthwhile gamble to bring Leonard Floyd on board for the price of that small pick swap. Maybe he can play SLB, or at least he could give us another pass-rush option. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

That's what it looked like to me. 

I probably would pass on the Jon Allen trade and the NE trade. 

Jerome Baker, had 126 tackles last season. He's been in the league 2 years I think, and would transition nicely to the 4-3. I then traded back up to grab a generational Edge rusher, which I traded away Kerrigan to go get. At this point I only need the ILB position to be filled with Leonard Floyd being a bit versatile at either SAM or DE in certain packages. 

4 hours ago, mike23md said:

Jerome Baker, had 126 tackles last season. He's been in the league 2 years I think, and would transition nicely to the 4-3. I then traded back up to grab a generational Edge rusher, which I traded away Kerrigan to go get. At this point I only need the ILB position to be filled with Leonard Floyd being a bit versatile at either SAM or DE in certain packages. 

I just think losing a 2021 first hurts. You essential lost value to trade down from 2 to 3. Just my opinion.  

• Like 1

New England had jumped to 3 prior to this trade looking to draft Tua.

I looked at the defensive line and realized that, I might need Chase Young. I also need usable depth. I traded for Leonard Floyd, but with NE missing out on Tua, I was thinking I could trade up ahead of the Lions and grab Chase.

18. Traded #3, #18, #62, 2021 1st Rounder to NE.

- NE Accepted.

With the first pick in the TCMD Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select: Joe Burrow QB, LSU

With the 2nd pick in the TCMD Draft, the Miami Dolphins select: Tua Tagavailoa, QB, Alabama

With the 3rd pick in the draft, the Washington Redskins select:

Chase Young, Edge, Ohio State

Wait...I thought NE had #3??

What was the actual trade here?

I traded back up to get Chase Young once I learned that NE was all in on Tua. I gave up a future 1st to get him. I was able to overhaul the roster to get rid of guys like Kerrigan and Trent with bloated contracts. Same with Jordan Reed and Josh Norman, AND Alex Smith as a June 1st. Bloated the cap number to near 70M available.