Broncos acquire DL Jerrell Casey from Titans for 7th round pick

RaidersAreOne

I've said I didn't want 30+ year old guys on their 3rd contract as FA targets, because the risk of decline is too great.    

Those risks all hold with Casey - he checks off all the tick boxes there.   BUT....the kicker is there's no guaranteed money, it's a year to year contract.

A Reader / Hargrave signing had more appeal because they are both at peak age, so playing at peak levels when our contention window expands was the ideal scenario - Casey is at huge risk of age-related decline.    But, there isn't the same risk as with a FA signing, with a ton of dead money and guaranteed years here, either.    As a plan B, it's better than committing a ton of $ and multiple guaranteed years to mid-level talents at the current market prices.    Casey is also starting off from a baseline as a true inside disruptor.   

Basically, it's a 12M gamble with no future risk tied in for a guy who's been a difference-maker.     Given who's left, I much prefer this to committing, say 2/20+ guaranteed (or higher) to who's left.    And frankly, I'd much rather have Casey than Wolfe, especially since Wolfe might be getting more than 1 guaranteed year.

It will be interesting to see if passing on Reader for 13.25M per year but taking on Casey's 24M/2-year non-guaranteed deal (and 13.75M for year 3)  was the wiser move, though.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1