Broncos acquire DL Jerrell Casey from Titans for 7th round pick

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Thought his play dropped off last year, but apparently he had a shoulder injury?

I think Elways approach of trading for vets with contracts in place is a smart one. You (should) know what you're getting on the field and you have cost certainty off it.

Most of the guaranteed money has been eaten by another team as well.

Not to mention that route doesn’t negatively affect us in the compensatory pick formula 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Thought his play dropped off last year, but apparently he had a shoulder injury?

I think Elways approach of trading for vets with contracts in place is a smart one. You (should) know what you're getting on the field and you have cost certainty off it.

Most of the guaranteed money has been eaten by another team as well.

Definitely taking advantage of a market inefficiency. I'm actually very impressed. He's using some classic NBA front office thinking 

3 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Not to mention that route doesn’t negatively affect us in the compensatory pick formula 

Sadly, though, unless Wolfe/Harris get 8-figure deals, it doesn't look like we're doing any better than 5th's or later.   So far Glasgow is the highest priced FA, more than what we've lost - so he'll negate at least our top paid departure.   After that, no one looks to be in the top 20 AAV contracts, so that means 5th's or later.     

It was still a sound move to acquire Bouye & Casey by trade just because we took out a lot of guaranteed money and years from the normal risk associated with the FA's at the same price range, especially once Reader/Hargrave came off the board in Casey's case.   

The theoretical gain of not affecting comp picks was sound, but it depended on our departing guys getting big $ AAV contracts.   So far, that's not materialized, and it doesn't look like it will pan out.    Great idea in theory, but the execution of the parts Elway couldn't control didn't work out there. 

I touched on it in Random Thoughts, but it's going to end up that Elway rolled snake eyes on holding off trading CHJ at the deadline for the 3rd rd pick apparently being offered (and even a 4th would have been a big gain, but that's 20-20 hindsight, gambling that Harris would get a top 20 AAV contract was more than fair at the deadline).  CHJ's 2H decline in play really cost him and by extension, Elway with comp-pick return value.  Lose-lose there.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1