Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Broncos acquire DL Jerrell Casey from Titans for 7th round pick

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I've said I didn't want 30+ year old guys on their 3rd contract as FA targets, because the risk of decline is too great.    

Those risks all hold with Casey - he checks off all the tick boxes there.   BUT....the kicker is there's no guaranteed money, it's a year to year contract.

A Reader / Hargrave signing had more appeal because they are both at peak age, so playing at peak levels when our contention window expands was the ideal scenario - Casey is at huge risk of age-related decline.    But, there isn't the same risk as with a FA signing, with a ton of dead money and guaranteed years here, either.    As a plan B, it's better than committing a ton of $ and multiple guaranteed years to mid-level talents at the current market prices.    Casey is also starting off from a baseline as a true inside disruptor.   

Basically, it's a 12M gamble with no future risk tied in for a guy who's been a difference-maker.     Given who's left, I much prefer this to committing, say 2/20+ guaranteed (or higher) to who's left.    And frankly, I'd much rather have Casey than Wolfe, especially since Wolfe might be getting more than 1 guaranteed year.

It will be interesting to see if passing on Reader for 13.25M per year but taking on Casey's 24M/2-year non-guaranteed deal (and 13.75M for year 3)  was the wiser move, though.   

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it was 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it was 

Well...and don't the Broncos have Dremont Jones and I suspect they will draft a DL high in the draft, plus a young Purcell to groom behind Casey?  Hopefully, too, they still sign another DL, a Pierce would be fine.  And I am still holding out that Wolfe signs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Well...and don't the Broncos have Dremont Jones and I suspect they will draft a DL high in the draft, plus a young Purcell to groom behind Casey?  Hopefully, too, they still sign another DL, a Pierce would be fine.  And I am still holding out that Wolfe signs. 

I think Wolfe will return, we need an experienced starter outside. They're just letting the market set itself. 

This is a good move. Nice work, Elway. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long have we been asking for an interior disrupter? If Dre’Mont blossoms, you might have two of those guys. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

How long have we been asking for an interior disrupter? If Dre’Mont blossoms, you might have two of those guys. 

How often do seventh rounders even make the roster? I mean it's almost certain Casey will have a bigger impact than any seventh round draft pick.

 

Now you're paying for that player but still get it while you can and lock is on a rookie deal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One caveat we should be mindful of - TEN cleared 67M of cap space by releasing Ryan Succop and Delanie Walker, so they could get Derrick Henry franchised and Ryan Tannehill signed.    So they weren't in cap hell and forced to make this move - no doubt the $ factored in, but it's not like they were a team that had to make the move.  They made a conscious choice.    They also have a young Da'Quon Jones that they felt was ready to take more snaps, and most importantly, they got a steal of a post-injury draft pick in Jeffery Simmons, who realistically was a top 10 talent who fell because of an offseason ACL injury and the prospect of a redshirt year (which he beat the timeline by a fair amount).   So they had more depth to deal from than what we have.

All of which to say - TEN no doubt considered the $ better spent elsewhere - and if he wasn't pricey, no doubt they'd have kept him.  But coming off shoulder injury which cost him 2 games, and him admitting he's battling some chronic knee issues, we shouldn't jump to the conclusion TEN has lost their marbles.   

Don't get me wrong, I think this was a move Elway had to make after missing out on Reader/Hargrave.   It's just we shouldn't be so quick to assume that the Titans were crazy.   History is on their side - it's just a matter of when.  If it all goes well for us, it won't be until 2022.  If it's earlier...even then, given the risk, it's still a shot that was worth taking.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

All of which to say - TEN no doubt considered the $ better spent elsewhere - and if he wasn't pricey, no doubt they'd have kept him.  But coming off shoulder injury which cost him 2 games, and him admitting he's battling some chronic knee issues, we shouldn't jump to the conclusion TEN has lost their marbles.   

So Tennessee was loaded at a position and we Benefited. I'm sure Tennessee wanted to do Casey a solid and send him to a contender. Not many teams have the luxury of affording that cap space let alone for a 30 year old. 

It reminds me of the Bunkley move a couple years back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

One caveat we should be mindful of - TEN cleared 67M of cap space by releasing Ryan Succop and Delanie Walker, so they could get Derrick Henry franchised and Ryan Tannehill signed.    So they weren't in cap hell and forced to make this move - no doubt the $ factored in, but it's not like they were a team that had to make the move.  They made a conscious choice.    They also have a young Da'Quon Jones that they felt was ready to take more snaps, and most importantly, they got a steal of a post-injury draft pick in Jeffery Simmons, who realistically was a top 10 talent who fell because of an offseason ACL injury and the prospect of a redshirt year (which he beat the timeline by a fair amount).   So they had more depth to deal from than what we have.

All of which to say - TEN no doubt considered the $ better spent elsewhere - and if he wasn't pricey, no doubt they'd have kept him.  But coming off shoulder injury which cost him 2 games, and him admitting he's battling some chronic knee issues, we shouldn't jump to the conclusion TEN has lost their marbles.   

Don't get me wrong, I think this was a move Elway had to make after missing out on Reader/Hargrave.   It's just we shouldn't be so quick to assume that the Titans were crazy.   History is on their side - it's just a matter of when.  If it all goes well for us, it won't be until 2022.  If it's earlier...even then, given the risk, it's still a shot that was worth taking.

Worst case is he doesn't pan out, we cut him and use that cap space next year on ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fellas! Take care of one of the very, very few Titan legends :(  I'll be rooting for you guys from afar. Unless it's against us of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Worst case is he doesn't pan out, we cut him and use that cap space next year on ???

Yup, which is why the juice is worth the squeeze here.    At worst even if decline happens (or injury) it’s a 1-year loss of 12M.   So the risk isn’t the same as if he was a FA getting signed to a multi year deal as guaranteed years & money this early almost always are 2+.  
 

Plus this wasn’t a conscious decision to pass on elite talent elsewhere, like when Elway chose to go after G Leary and outright said they didn’t pursue T Whitworth because if his age (the irony is certainly there).  It was plan B after Hargrave / Reader & the top tier DT’s were signed.     It’s hard to argue that anyone left from the inside DL group has more ceiling, and most come with equal or greater risk.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought his play dropped off last year, but apparently he had a shoulder injury?

I think Elways approach of trading for vets with contracts in place is a smart one. You (should) know what you're getting on the field and you have cost certainty off it.

Most of the guaranteed money has been eaten by another team as well.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

So Tennessee was loaded at a position and we Benefited. I'm sure Tennessee wanted to do Casey a solid and send him to a contender. Not many teams have the luxury of affording that cap space let alone for a 30 year old. 

It reminds me of the Bunkley move a couple years back

I chuckled. Titans are still likely more of a contender than us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I chuckled. Titans are still likely more of a contender than us.

They weren't going to keep him. And you think ? I'd take Lock over a overpriced Tannehill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...