Titans trade Jurrell Casey

KingTitan

53 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think that's what most of us are so shocked by.  If they'd gotten a fifth, I'd be mad, but it wouldn't feel like we got fleeced, at least.

Yeah I’m wondering if we had a verbal agreement with a free agent or a trade proposal and dumped salary fast only for someone to back out of a deal. 

6 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Yeah I’m wondering if we had a verbal agreement with a free agent or a trade proposal and dumped salary fast only for someone to back out of a deal. 

If the reports are true, it looks like it was to chase Clowney.  Which seems preposterous to me after you sign Beasley.  I guess it's because Clowney is taking so long to shop himself, and they didn't plan for that.  Offloading Casey may have been a panic move after so many DTs were getting snatched up so quickly, they felt they needed to move Casey now to the Broncos or not at all.

I mean, I guess this is a deep DL class, so getting another rookie in the middle rounds will probably still be someone who contributes immediately.  The pass rusher class, IMO, isn't nearly as good.

9 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

It is hard to believe that we could only net a 7th

Likely was going to be cut apparently, and given his dead cap was the same cut or trade nobody was likely to give much up. Getting something I guess was better than nothing.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 5:57 PM, VY said:

Likely was going to be cut apparently, and given his dead cap was the same cut or trade nobody was likely to give much up. Getting something I guess was better than nothing.

Unlike the Tannehill trade where Miami paid nearly 80% of his contract while he played for us, Denver is absorbing ALL of the cost for the remainder of Casey's contract.  That's like an average of $13M/yr for the next few years that's completely off our books.  So with that, they were NOT going to offer up much of anything in draft capital.  Bottom line, on the surface it looks like a cheap trade, but we came out pretty damn good in this deal on the business side of it.  Sometimes you gotta give a little to get a little.

Edited by Dionysus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Still can't believe that we traded him. 

It's frustrating but I guess I understand. Assume Simmons slide to Casey's spot. Then you sign a guy like Derek Wolfe for example to takeover Simmons spot for much cheaper, while ideally getting equal production.

Resign Ryan, sign Markus Golden and hopefully profit.

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Is that the highest he's been ranked on these so far?

Because if he had his worst season since his sophomore year, and then jumped up a few spots because he finally left the Titans, then that is some BS.

i'm guessing it's less because he left the titans and more because we finally had a season worth paying attention to.

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

i'm guessing it's less because he left the titans and more because we finally had a season worth paying attention to.

Yeah, he also had a really nice postseason, which helps when those are the only Titans games people saw last year. List is dumb anyways.