Trade Alert!

Lionized

6 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

IF... Tony Dungy is the next hire as GM how mad you going to be about another blow up?

I don't mind a shake up, I just have to have faith in the hire running the shake up. Like... Telling me Tony Dungy is the GM of the Lions... Now all the sudden I'm really intrigued and will pay attention for 2-3 season seriously. 

Very true.

Frankly, short of wins on the field there isn’t much the Lions can do to excite me.

To many off seasons listening to hype that’s swallowed by most fans. The never ending promise of next year. You know the drill.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Duron Harmon

Free Safety - 476 Snaps

Box - 129 Snaps

Tavon Wilson

Free Safety - 157

Box - 449

It's interesting to see that they're basically replacing Wilson with a guy that plays nearly the opposite position. 

Tracy Walker

Free Safety - 331 Snaps

Box - 254 Snaps

I wonder if they're looking to have Walker play more of a SS role and have Harmon play FS. 

I'd imagine they plan on Will Harris having a bigger role in the box. 

31 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

IF... Tony Dungy is the next hire as GM how mad you going to be about another blow up?

I don't mind a shake up, I just have to have faith in the hire running the shake up. Like... Telling me Tony Dungy is the GM of the Lions... Now all the sudden I'm really intrigued and will pay attention for 2-3 season seriously. 

Dungy has never been a GM. It's not to say that he couldn't be a very good one but it doesn't guarantee that he will be. 

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Dungy has never been a GM. It's not to say that he couldn't be a very good one but it doesn't guarantee that he will be. 

I'm not even saying he would be... I'm just asking you a personal question. Would you be excited/intrigued with a Tony Dungy lead team?

This, of coarse, is assuming Patricia/Quinn fail next season. If they made the playoffs and even won a game in the playoffs then I'd have to rethink things cause that means a lot of the moves they've done the last two years came together, (I don't see that happening), but maybe... If it did come together obviously they don't get fired... but like, come next season, say Patricia/Quinn do get fired.... and Tony Dungy is hired as GM. You like the hire or you betting against him?

Edited by SimbaWho

Just now, SimbaWho said:

I'm not even saying he would be... I'm just asking you a personal question. Would you be excited/intrigued with a Tony Dungy lead team?

This, of coarse, is assuming Patricia/Quinn fail next season. If they made the playoffs and even won a game in the playoffs then I'd have to rethink things cause that means a lot of the moves they've done the last two years came together, (I don't see that happening), but maybe... If it did come together obviously they don't get fired... 

I'm always going to be interested in seeing what the Lions do, so I would automatically be intrigued by anybody they bring in initially. 

I would give a lot more leeway to a Dungy-led FO. The issue I would have with this structure is that he's a coach and only really been a coach. So he might be the CEO and instill a culture, etc. but he's not going to be the guy negotiating contracts, heading the scouting departments, etc. So it would really come down to the support staff he has in those key positions. 

With Quinn, he's a scout. He's doing the contracts and he's doing player evals, etc. 

If we really had to make a change, I would go hard at Daniel Jeremiah as GM. Let him hire his own coach. He has experience with a number of different but successful organizations. He has connections with different guys all over the league from his role at NFLN. He's still quite young, so he could relate to younger coaches and players more. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

This, of coarse, is assuming Patricia/Quinn fail next season. If they made the playoffs and even won a game in the playoffs then I'd have to rethink things cause that means a lot of the moves they've done the last two years came together, (I don't see that happening), but maybe... If it did come together obviously they don't get fired... but like, come next season, say Patricia/Quinn do get fired.... and Tony Dungy is hired as GM. You like the hire or you betting against him?

I'd be critical of it, but would be willing to give him 5 years to turn it around.

Edited by LionArkie

10 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

wonder if this trade has any indications on if we trade Slay soon or not? 

This could be one of the steps. Another wave of transactions will be coming in here after 4pm. If they land Darby I could see it coming. 

This a solid move. He's a decent player. Like others, however, I'm tired of being the Midwest Patriots. It isn't working. At least this guy only has one year left on his deal, so we aren't married to him if/when Patricia and Quinn are gone. 

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

wonder if this trade has any indications on if we trade Slay soon or not? 

He plays safety, so probably not. 

The guy that is being tied to the Lions right now is Will Parks. Slot CB with the Broncos. His PFF rating isn't very good. His tackling is good and his highest rating came as a SS but ultimately, he hasn't played much at S at all... so I dunno. 

I'll never understand, for the life of me, why it's a bad thing for some of our players to have previously played for a team that our GM and coaching staff used to be employed by.

As a matter of fact, I'd be concerned if they didn't use their previous experience to their advantage. That's exactly what this is: it's an advantage to know how hard a player works, their overall character and exactly what his skillset provides. Pats fans are calling Harmon a good guy. That's a good thing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'll never understand, for the life of me, why it's a bad thing for some of our players to have previously played for a team that our GM and coaching staff used to be employed by.

As a matter of fact, I'd be concerned if they didn't use their previous experience to their advantage. That's exactly what this is: it's an advantage to know how hard a player works, their overall character and exactly what his skillset provides. Pats fans are calling Harmon a good guy. That's a good thing. 

Like it or not, this is what happens in the GM rank/scouting ranks, the coaching ranks and when it comes to players. You bring in people that you know and trust who know and trust you. When you hire someone that you don't know, you are taking much more of a risk than hiring someone that you do. 

We all get it - it hasn't worked up until this point. If you think that bringing in a new coach/GM aren't going to do the same thing, you're mistaken. 

Let's say that Patricia gets fired with Quinn and they bring in Eric Bieniemy as HC. You usually hire the opposite (defense > offense) and he has been a candidate the last two go rounds. Are we going to pretend that he isn't going to bring over guys from the Chiefs or from his time with the Vikings? 

• Like 1