Jags trade Foles to Bears for 4th round pick

pwny

Jags were t-20th, 19th, 2nd, 22nd, and in a 3-way tie for 9th in sacks the last 5 years.

What's their nickname? xD

In 2017 they got 33 sacks in 5 games against starting QBs behind bad O-lines who went

• 0-15 Kizer
  • 4-11 Brissett
  • 4-11 Brissett
  • 1-6 Savage
  • 0-3 Yates
  • for a combined 9-46 record.

They got  22 sacks in the other 11 games. (7 in 3 playoff games)

They could not stop talking about their dominant D for years! xD

But I'm the one with issues appreciating the guy with the SB MVP trophy and the 3rd highest passer rating season in NFL history?

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 2:29 PM, SkippyX said:

This is just more myopic and ignorant spin against Foles. Chip Kelly's offense was RPO based and was coached by Shurmur and Lazor at OC and QB coach.

Bicknell (WRs coach) was an NFL guy

Duce Staley (RB coach) was an NFL guy

Both his O-line coaches were from college 

• Greg Austin and Jeff Stoutland

The only other college guy was TE coach Ted Williams

Justin Pellee (Assistant TE coach) was freshly retired as an NFL TE

Kelly sped up the offense with no huddle, but he did not reinvent offensive football or even run anything that different than Foles ran in Philly under Pederson.

Add in the 2 Chip Kelly years and now Foles is Tom Brady compared to Trubisky.

Or you could just disqualify those years because it suits your narrative.

I just know more than you on this. I have watched him since he was a rookie.

He made Riley Cooper an NFL receiver for a while. He is that good.

I don't pretend he is a great QB because I like him. I like him because he is a great QB.

He may never be 'Kerry Collins great' (starting 12+ games for 10 different seasons)

• Nothing about Kerry Collins is great but Foles breaking his collarbone twice makes him Trubisky for some people.

St Louis was a crap show. I don't care if you think its important.

In Jacksonville he played really well in game 1 until he got hurt.

• He played about the same as Minshew  after coming back from a collarbone injury.
    • Aaron Rodgers turnover rate skyrockets when you look at his post-collarbone games.
      • Let me know if anyone else played in the same season after a collarbone injury so we can compare them as well.

The 2012 Eagles after all the injuries were a really bad football team (bad enough to get Andy Reid fired)

The 2015 Rams were a horror show  (and Foles faced 8 playoff teams in his 11 games)

His Jacksonville season was 8 passes at a 100+ rating and then 2 1/2 games after a collarbone injury on a team that struggled on offense all year.

He does not deserve 30 million a year. He does not deserve 10 teams bidding for him.

He is obviously a huge upgrade on Trubisky.

Yeah, Foles is so great that he lost his job to a 6th round rookie last year.

He's also so great that 5 teams have given up on him in the past 6 years and he's never even played a 16 game season as a starter.

Please tell me again how great he is because he had one crazy/outlier season seven years ago so far above his career norms.

22 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

Yeah, Foles is so great that he lost his job to a 6th round rookie last year.

He's also so great that 5 teams have given up on him in the past 6 years and he's never even played a 16 game season as a starter.

Please tell me again how great he is because he had one crazy/outlier season seven years ago so far above his career norms.

So your argument is that Chip Kelly and Jeff Fisher are godlike beings who always made the right decisions at QB...

The other part of your argument is that you can't grasp the concept of why Foles left KC and Philly.

Wow, you are on fire.

You a pro-Trubisky guy, are ya? Because he has done so much?

Big fan of Minshew? You predicting 11 wins in Jacksonville for 2020?  xD

• Like 2

Rodgers was benched for Hundley in 2017 after week 14 according to The Idiots Guide to Collarbones.

I found yet another data point for a QB returning in-season from a collarbone injury.

• Romo 2015:
    • Before the injury he was a 98.8 rated QB with 3 TDs and 2 picks.
    • After the injury he was a 53.7 rated QB with 2 TDs and 5 picks.

My apples to apples comparisons > a 'drunk at the end of a bar' opinion.

Rodgers, Romo, and Foles were all bad after collarbone injures but lets pretend its specific to Foles.

• We call that an agenda 

I wait for your examples of other QBs that returned in-season from collarbone injuries and played great.

... crickets ...

There is also this. The Jags gave up 264 and 219 yards rushing in his 2 full games as a starter.

• Minshew led them to 3 points the game before when the D gave up 216 on the ground.

Feel free to point out all the QBs who thrive and win when their D gives up 200+ on the ground. I'll check back after your research is complete.

Or just spout your useless opinion some more.  Your call. xD

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

For those hating on the move, where do you view Foles in relation to Trubisky?  I'm not a huge fan of this move, but I do think that at the very least he's going to be more capable of keeping the Bears in games and being a game manager than Trubisky has been so far.  With this defense, that might be all the Bears need.  There weren't a whole lot of other options out there when they signed Foles besides Dalton and Cam Newton.  Newton has huge health concerns, and Dalton may have cost a 2nd round pick which he's definitely not worth.  

In short, I think Foles is average.  I think Trubisky is less than average.  I see this as a net win overall, even if Foles isn't going to be a boom for the offense.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 5:51 PM, SkippyX said:

So your argument is that Chip Kelly and Jeff Fisher are godlike beings who always made the right decisions at QB...

The other part of your argument is that you can't grasp the concept of why Foles left KC and Philly.

Wow, you are on fire.

You a pro-Trubisky guy, are ya? Because he has done so much?

Big fan of Minshew? You predicting 11 wins in Jacksonville for 2020?  xD

Well, Foles left KC because the Chiefs declined the 2nd year of his contract, making him a free agent.  i.e. they didn't want him anymore, at least at whatever salary he was scheduled to make.  I imagine he then took the backup job in Philly, because there wasn't a single team in the NFL that wanted him as a starter.  

Foles left Philly because the Jags gave him a starter job and a bunch of money.  Obviously.  And then the Jags dumped him a year later because they realized they made a huge mistake and their 6th round rookie who kinda stinks himself was actually better than Foles.

^^Not sure how either of those situations in totality are positives for Foles and prove he's a "great" QB as you said.  Situation 1: His team declined to bring him back the 2nd year of his contract, and he had to settle for a backup QB job as a free agent.  Situation 2: He actually did the huge payday and contract as a starter, but his team quickly realized that was a mistake and dumped him as soon as it was feasibly possible.  Awesome!  That proves he's a "great" QB.

A pro-Trubisky guy?  What the hell?  No.

Foles is better than Trubisky, maybe better than Minshew.  That doesn't make Foles great, or anything more than an NFL backup in an ideal world. 

Edited by fortdetroit

On 3/23/2020 at 3:05 AM, Tugboat said:

Is it possible that Foles isn't actually that good, but Trubisky also sucks, and Minshew probably isn't that good either, and Wentz is also proving kinda unreliable health-wise?  All at the same time?

Yes, it is.  Foles being better than Trubisky and maybe Minshew, doesn't mean he isn't a backup/spot starter level quality player.  Nearly the entire league is better than Trubisky, not some shining example of being a quality QB to be better than him.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:15 AM, TankWilliams said:

For those hating on the move, where do you view Foles in relation to Trubisky?  I'm not a huge fan of this move, but I do think that at the very least he's going to be more capable of keeping the Bears in games and being a game manager than Trubisky has been so far.  With this defense, that might be all the Bears need.  There weren't a whole lot of other options out there when they signed Foles besides Dalton and Cam Newton.  Newton has huge health concerns, and Dalton may have cost a 2nd round pick which he's definitely not worth.  

In short, I think Foles is average.  I think Trubisky is less than average.  I see this as a net win overall, even if Foles isn't going to be a boom for the offense.

Definitely a reasonable take.  I disagree that he's average, I think he's a bit worse than that, but not going to argue with your completely reasonable opinion (i'm being serious).  It's the people like Skippy saying he's a great QB who are way out to lunch.

2 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

Well, Foles left KC because the Chiefs declined the 2nd year of his contract, making him a free agent.  i.e. they didn't want him anymore, at least at whatever salary he was scheduled to make.  I imagine he then took the backup job in Philly, because there wasn't a single team in the NFL that wanted him as a starter.  

Foles left Philly because the Jags gave him a starter job and a bunch of money.  Obviously.  And then the Jags dumped him a year later because they realized they made a huge mistake and their 6th round rookie who kinda stinks himself was actually better than Foles.

^^Not sure how either of those situations in totality are positives for Foles and prove he's a "great" QB as you said.  Situation 1: His team declined to bring him back the 2nd year of his contract, and he had to settle for a backup QB job as a free agent.  Situation 2: He actually did the huge payday and contract as a starter, but his team quickly realized that was a mistake and dumped him as soon as it was feasibly possible.  Awesome!  That proves he's a "great" QB.

A pro-Trubisky guy?  What the hell?  No.

Foles is better than Trubisky, maybe better than Minshew.  That doesn't make Foles great, or anything more than an NFL backup in an ideal world. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5583480