Jags trade Foles to Bears for 4th round pick

pwny

Just now, Tony7188 said:

Yet you responded to a post you saw no value in.

To mock your lame post. Now you have shamed yourself on top of it. Good job.

No one should take a years worth of evidence and have the same opinion they had last year if things have changed.

"Ha ha, you had a different opinion last year" adds nothing and its weaksauce trolling that only trolls yourself.

BREAKING NEWS: T7188 discovers that free agency is a crapshoot and fans have optimism at the time of signings!

Troll at 11...

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Extra 1st next year too? 

Nice!

But if the organization is going all in on Minshew, as @.Buzz suggested, you’d think they would use those 12 picks to move up/get him as many surrounding pieces as possible this year, no?

They will, yes. But as @pwny stated, I'm sure some will be moved for future picks as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

Jags fans were luke warm on signing him, at best. I—for example—called the team the worst run franchise in professional sports in the thread about him being signed. 

Foles was coming off one of the best playoff stretches in back to back years with Philly and you were lukewarm? How was he not a fit in JAX after playing just one season, where he missed 10 games?

Did the offensive philosophy change with the rise of Minshew?

8 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Extra 1st next year too? 

Nice!

But if the organization is going all in on Minshew, as @.Buzz suggested, you’d think they would use those 12 picks to move up/get him as many surrounding pieces as possible this year, no?

They’ll use a bunch of them, for sure. They’ll probably trade up once or twice and burn a couple picks that way as well. But they also have to deal with Yan still, and he likely isn’t going to change his mind about wanting to play elsewhere. If they trade him before the draft, that’s just more picks in this year’s draft. You’re talking even after trade ups, still hitting 12 selections. Some of those—if you’re at all responsible—should be pushed forward to get that higher round selection for.

Or if they hold on to Yan hoping they can change his mind and wait until camp or preseason, those picks will be 2021 and later selections. 

Caldwell has also never been one to acquire players with a focus on building depth. It’s a major issue of his. And it’s probably going to continue here as well. So while they will draft guys to start and get a few depth pieces, he’s not going to spend 7 picks on trench depth the way you might expect a team to do. 

Edited by pwny
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony7188 said:

Foles was coming off one of the best playoff stretches in back to back years with Philly and you were lukewarm? How was he not a fit in JAX after playing just one season, where he missed 10 games?

Because most of us understood looking at his entire body of work that he is a streaky QB that has horrible lows and very high highs. We also saw a player that has never—not once in his entire career—played 16 games. We needed a QB that would bring stability to the position after a full decade of ups and mostly downs, we didn’t want a guy who could get hot at any time for maybe a season and then go cold for a season as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Because most of us understood looking at his entire body of work that he is a streaky QB that has horrible lows and very high highs. We also saw a player that has never—not once in his entire career—played 16 games. We needed a QB that would bring stability to the position after a full decade of ups and mostly downs, we didn’t want a guy who could get hot at any time for maybe a season and then go cold for a season as well. 

Doesn't even get into the issue of going from that supporting cast/OL in Philly to below average protection and no proven weapons in JAX.

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

Foles isn't fantastic, but I fully expect Allen Robinson to eat. Foles loves that big X type of receiver.

First thing I thought of. Foles defaults to that type of strike zone in clutch situations and places it well with nice touch. I'm sure the Bears remember that 2018 playoff game when Foles calmly hit Jeffery so many times. It was a huge contrast to what Trubisky was doing, especially on 3rd and 4th down. 

I think this is one of the best moves of the free agency period, given the impact of the quarterback position and the cheap price involved, at least from the draft pick perspective. I'm not a salary cap guy. I'll allow others to worry about that.

Fans scoff at Foles due to totality. But it is hardly a blase totality with mediocrity throughout. He has those two astonishing samples, the one early season with the Eagles and then the Super Bowl playoff run. All the stats including advanced stats were fantastic. As a Dolphins fan during that Super Bowl victory I kept thinking no chance Ryan Tannehill is capable of something like that. And he is not. I don't care what Tannehill did last season. He can't make the types of plays Foles managed throughout those playoff games. Put Tannehill in a Super Bowl with 2017-level Tom Brady putting up 33 points and see what you get. You'll get a run of the mill defeat.

Foles has bizarre dispersion. He fits some situations well and others not as all. This is a gamble that probably won't pay off but you are supposed to identify hidden upside and take the risk. I see one garbage free agency pickup after another applauded merely because the team supposedly saved a million or two per season from expectation. Big deal. Those patches lead nowhere. At least this one has a chance.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Valid points. If I recall correctly Foles was brought in to replace Bortles, to go all in for a SB run. I think the rise of Minshew made Foles more expendable and the rebuild a nice option after a down year.

48 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Jags should just get fully behind Minshew for a year and see what happens. 

Given the Free for All of Veterans leaving that Team in the past 2 seasons since the AFCCG. Pretty sure that's the plan.

This way they can say We rolled with Minshew but ended up in the Lawrence Sweepstakes! We tried! 

Just now, .Buzz said:

With where the Bears are, they need solid QB play. If Mitch somehow figures it out and they lose $/didn't need Foles, it's still worth it imo.

Bad situation to be in, but alas

That whole QB situation is a nightmare lol. Glad you guy got rid of that foles contract 

• Like 1