Jags trade Foles to Bears for 4th round pick

pwny

All the coaches he has worked for think he is awesome outside of Slappy in St Louis, GM Chump Kelly, and possibly Doug Moron in Jacksonville.

• I think Marrone is still undecided but cap and asset reasons made it easy to go with Minshew who flashed and is dirt cheap

3 of his former coaches just traded for him

But yeah, I should trust a few internet trolls over all the evidence and the opinions of Doug Pederson, Andy Reid, Matt Nagy, John DeFilipo, Bill Lazor, Frank Reich, and others.

There's about 22 SB MVP QBs in NFL history and only one of them had to win a shootout against Tom Brady tossing 500+ yards.

I'm staying with my hard evidence and expert backed opinions on Foles.

Edited by SkippyX

Here are Foles' career stats under Reid/Pederson (so hypothetically, the same type of offense he will running CHI under Nagy):

19 combined regular season and playoff games started: - 4,918 yards (259 per game) - 64.8% completion - 27 TD, 14 INT (1.92 to 1 ratio) - 6.9 yards per attempt - 89 QB rating

Trubisky under Nagy in 29 games - 6361 yards (219 per game) - 64.7% completion - 41 TD, 22 INT (1.86 to 1 ratio) - 6.7 YPA - 89 QB rating

Is he better than Trubisky?  Sure.  But statistically, he's a marginal upgrade over Trubisky - despite having played with great offensive personnel and coaching while Trubisky has been surrounded by mostly crapola on offense.

1 hour ago, fortdetroit said:

Here are Foles' career stats under Reid/Pederson (so hypothetically, the same type of offense he will running CHI under Nagy):

19 combined regular season and playoff games started: - 4,918 yards (259 per game) - 64.8% completion - 27 TD, 14 INT (1.92 to 1 ratio) - 6.9 yards per attempt - 89 QB rating

Trubisky under Nagy in 29 games - 6361 yards (219 per game) - 64.7% completion - 41 TD, 22 INT (1.86 to 1 ratio) - 6.7 YPA - 89 QB rating

Is he better than Trubisky?  Sure.  But statistically, he's a marginal upgrade over Trubisky - despite having played with great offensive personnel and coaching while Trubisky has been surrounded by mostly crapola on offense.

Good points. Both are a major upgrade over Chase Daniels so at least there is that.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, Folesadelphia said:

I wouldn't say he sucks but that hes not really a starting qb. In the right scheme he can be effective but you need to cater an offense around his limited skill set. Hes right on the border line between starter and backup and his streakiness (high variance) can make him look like an above average QB for a few games.

You have a name like that and you DON'T think he's a starting QB?

6 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

This is just more myopic and ignorant spin against Foles. Chip Kelly's offense was RPO based and was coached by Shurmur and Lazor at OC and QB coach.

Bicknell (WRs coach) was an NFL guy

Duce Staley (RB coach) was an NFL guy

Both his O-line coaches were from college 

• Greg Austin and Jeff Stoutland

The only other college guy was TE coach Ted Williams

Justin Pellee (Assistant TE coach) was freshly retired as an NFL TE

Kelly sped up the offense with no huddle, but he did not reinvent offensive football or even run anything that different than Foles ran in Philly under Pederson.

Add in the 2 Chip Kelly years and now Foles is Tom Brady compared to Trubisky.

Or you could just disqualify those years because it suits your narrative.

I just know more than you on this. I have watched him since he was a rookie.

He made Riley Cooper an NFL receiver for a while. He is that good.

I don't pretend he is a great QB because I like him. I like him because he is a great QB.

He may never be 'Kerry Collins great' (starting 12+ games for 10 different seasons)

• Nothing about Kerry Collins is great but Foles breaking his collarbone twice makes him Trubisky for some people.

St Louis was a crap show. I don't care if you think its important.

In Jacksonville he played really well in game 1 until he got hurt.

• He played about the same as Minshew  after coming back from a collarbone injury.
    • Aaron Rodgers turnover rate skyrockets when you look at his post-collarbone games.
      • Let me know if anyone else played in the same season after a collarbone injury so we can compare them as well.

The 2012 Eagles after all the injuries were a really bad football team (bad enough to get Andy Reid fired)

The 2015 Rams were a horror show  (and Foles faced 8 playoff teams in his 11 games)

His Jacksonville season was 8 passes at a 100+ rating and then 2 1/2 games after a collarbone injury on a team that struggled on offense all year.

He does not deserve 30 million a year. He does not deserve 10 teams bidding for him.

He is obviously a huge upgrade on Trubisky.

13 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

You have a name like that and you DON'T think he's a starting QB?

I appreciate what Foles did for the Eagles but I never had any delusions of him being a franchise QB. I wish him the best in Chicago (other than when the Eagles play them) and I think he will ultimately win the starting job. He can definitely an upgrade to Trubisky but I don't think he'll be a top 20 for the Bears. 

Full analysis of Foles 'Can't stay healthy' hot take.

2012 - Vick was the starter, he came in after Vick got hurt.  NOT RELEVANT

2013 - Vick was the starter again. Foles started 10 of the 11 games including the playoffs. He missed 1 game because of a concussion. NOT RELEVANT

• A single concussion is not a durability issue.

2014 - He started the first 8 games and Mercilus broke his collarbone in Houston - Guilty of not having adamantium collarbbones (like Aaron Rodgers)

2015 - Benched for poor play on a garbage team facing insane competition.  Look, a valid data point!

2016 - He was Alex Smith's backup. He saved the season with solid QB play going 2-0 in the 2 games they needed him.  - NOT RELEVANT

2017 - He was the backup to Wentz. He took every snap of meaningful football from the injury through the parade. - NOT RELEVANT

2018 - Wentz was the starter but he was still injured so Foles played 2 games until he was healthy.  NOT RELEVANT

• Foles came back when Wentz got hurt again and played every meaningful snap of 5 more games.

2019 - He got hit by Chris Jones on his 8th pass and broke his collarbone again. Every human on the planet suffers the same injury on the same hit.

• He returned post-injury and did not play well on a team that did not play well 
  • If you want to combine the 2 collarbones to say he has bad injury juju sometimes then sure, you can have Valid data point 2

Now lets compare Steve Young.

He was garbage in Tampa on garbage teams.

He was the backup in 1985. He started the last 5 games. Was he a joke for not playing 16 this season? (Foles 2012)

He was the starter in 1986 from week 3 onward. (Foles 2013 but bad play on a bad team) Another non 16! What a bum!

He was not good enough so the drafted Testavrerde. ha ha, lame cheap shots ensue!

Over the next 4 years he only started 10 games  (Foles 2016, 2017, 2018 without the Super Bowl performance) He must SUCK if he can't get on the field!

Steve Young and Montana were better QBs in every way, but the logic being used to hate on Foles is 80's Steve Young + a couple bad luck collarbone injuries.

Alex Smith was not near Montana, but he was in the middle of a stretch where he went 69-31-1 as a starter.

Wentz was a high cost #2 overall pick who played like an MVP and was in year 3 of his rookie deal.

• Not choosing Foles over those guys just means they liked Smith and Wentz better based on all factors put together.
  • He left both teams because salary cap / not wanting to be the backup

You are free to think he is not a good QB or not a good risk because he has not 'played 16' but at least know the details.

Edited by SkippyX

4 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I appreciate what Foles did for the Eagles but I never had any delusions of him being a franchise QB. I wish him the best in Chicago (other than when the Eagles play them) and I think he will ultimately win the starting job. He can definitely an upgrade to Trubisky but I don't think he'll be a top 20 for the Bears. 

He doesn't have to be an 8 year franchise QB in Chicago.

He will have the 20th highest QB cap hit in 2020 and he only cost them a 4th round pick.

He has zero dead cap next year and if they keep him he will rank 20th or lower for QB cap hit in years 2 and 3  (unless some kind of restructure based on success happens)

If he plays well the next 3 years and gets them to an NFCCG, or even just wins a few playoff games, hes a huge upgrade on Trubisky.

6 hours ago, SkippyX said:

He doesn't have to be an 8 year franchise QB in Chicago.

He will have the 20th highest QB cap hit in 2020 and he only cost them a 4th round pick.

He has zero dead cap next year and if they keep him he will rank 20th or lower for QB cap hit in years 2 and 3  (unless some kind of restructure based on success happens)

If he plays well the next 3 years and gets them to an NFCCG, or even just wins a few playoff games, hes a huge upgrade on Trubisky.

That remains to be seen, and in any case it’s a HUGE jump from where the bears are at present. There’s also the rest of the NFC North. Stay tuned for what happens in Purpleland-LOTS of transition taking place there. Then there’s still that “Other Team” up north of Chicago a couple hundred miles...( - ; #

Edited by JQ1

Also, Wentz bro who wants to bring up Foles vs Wentz based on durability issues is hilarious.

Wentz is 3 for 4 in season ending injuries.

75% of his seasons have ended due to injury.

Foles got annihilated vs Clowney and Chris Baker but he got up and won those games.

Calling him fragile is pathetic.

I understood and accepted that it was Wentz's team. But I did so in this reality where Wentz is more fragile than Foles.

• Wentz has 3 season-enders on 2059 pass attemots
  • Foles has 2 on 1908 pass attempts.

I'm not rooting for more Wentz injuries. I am rooting for Wentz bros to have a clue.

• Wentz bros have to hate Foles to sustain their fragile egos.
  • There are some Foles guys who are the same way about Wentz.

I like both guys and wish the best for both of them. (Unless Foles is playing the Eagles, then throw a bunch of picks please)

FYI - Mahomes is 1 for 3 in playing 16 games so far. Anyone going to count that against him?