Jags trade Foles to Bears for 4th round pick

pwny

Just now, Tony7188 said:

Valid points. If I recall correctly Foles was brought in to replace Bortles, to go all in for a SB run. I think the rise of Minshew made Foles more expendable and the rebuild a nice option after a down year.

That’s exactly what they did. Management thought they could bring in some of his former coaches and they could catch the lightning in a bottle that he had in several of his seasons as a member of the Eagles. The window for the team as constructed to rebound promptly slammed shut week 2 when the stuff with Jalen Ramsey happened.

Now they’re in a rebuild mode and there’s really no reason to see if you can get the highs out of Foles. Even if they somehow did, in the middle of a rebuild it isn’t going to get them anywhere. It’s a much better idea to see if you can get some long term consistency out of a young guy that can maybe be the guy for a long time. 

• Like 2

Back in 2018, @Adrenaline_Flux and I joked that the 2018 Bears were the literal exact same team as the 2017 Jaguars. It turns out that the 2019 Bears were also the exact same team as the 2018 Jaguars, and now the 2020 Bears are on track to be the exact same team as the 2019 Jaguars.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

Back in 2018, @Adrenaline_Flux and I joked that the 2018 Bears were the literal exact same team as the 2017 Jaguars. It turns out that the 2019 Bears were also the exact same team as the 2018 Jaguars, and now the 2020 Bears are on track to be the exact same team as the 2019 Jaguars.

If we can get a franchise qb in the 6th round of this year’s draft, so be it 

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

Do they have the space to do this? Or are they gonna need to cut someone else (I guess someone like Patterson)?

Foles contract will be reconstructed. Arob and Hicks will get extensions. Shaheen and Braunecker are all but gone at this point. 

You also cant consider Foles contract in a vacuum. For the Jags it was a big contract on the back of giving Bortles way too much money before that.

Resetting the pay to the QB position while learning what Minshew can do is healthy for the franchise.

Trading for and paying Cam Newton or Andy Dalton would be the worst thing they could do.

Makes sense for the Bears to me.  With Jacksonville eating a boatload of dead money, Foles is actually gonna be pretty cheap for the Bears this year.  So it gives them an affordable veteran option to step in and try to make magic happen after Trubisky is finished dithering around for half the season.  Which is really the only thing Foles has demonstrated he can be good at - riding in mid-season to salvage a team's season basically.  So the Bears don't have to rely on Foles putting together an entire season of capable play...just half of one, or however long it takes for Trubisky to demonstrate to the Bears staff that he is indeed just not good.

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Great move for the Jags. A 4th rounder has value in this draft. Shoot...they could potentially get a starting caliber WR at that spot.

Agreed. While they have to eat the cap hit this year, they could be well positioned next year to take advantage of Minshew's rookie deal. Always a fan of moving off a bad deal rather than stubbornly trying to make it work. Less enthusiastic from the Bears' side. Don't mind it in a vaccum with with more QBs than starting roles on the market, I might have rather had Newton/Jameis/Dalton on a one year prove it deal rather than the asset + 3 years.

I haven’t seen a single mock draft with the Jags taking a QB at 9. Obviously Minshew performed well, but in many eyes, he’s a fringe starter/high quality backup. Do you guys think they could target Herbert or Love at 9?

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I have ‘t seen a single mock draft with the Jags taking a QB at 9. Obviously Minshew performed well, but in many eyes, he’s a fringe starter/high quality backup. Do you guys think they could target Herbert or Love at 9?

Nope. If they bring in another QB it will be with the late 1st round at soonest. The organization and fans love Minshew. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

Nope. If they bring in another QB it will be with the late 1st round at soonest. The organization and fans love Minshew. 

This.

Khan literally banged the table for him last year after a pre draft interview. The whole FO/coaching staff was taken back and loved him. They're going to see this out.

Truthfully, it's for the best. Build up the team around him, see what he ends up being while infusing talent into the offense (he hasn't had much outside of Chark thus far). 

If he doesn't play up to the standard you want, you now have a structure of talent around the QB position for someone next year while having two 1st round picks to get a guy.