Bears to trade 4th Round Pick to Jaguars for Nick Foles

RJ_11

Ok my horror about this move has been well documented earlier in the thread, but I can't go in to the season being so negative about our QB, so let's see what we've got. 

The arguments about Foles knowing the offense I understand and that is a positive, especially with coronavirus possibly ruining all OTAs and pushing back other off-season stuff. The deal itself I hate, and I still don't get the contract restructuring. But... if he gets us to the playoffs, what the hell is a 4th round pick?

So just watched Foles in week 11 last season at Indy. He has a really nice first quarter including a great TD drive, makes correct reads, distributes the ball well with good placement, executes RPOs properly. But after the scoring drive his play falls off a cliff, he starts to stare down Chark and just chuck it up to him when double-covered, he throws a TERRIBLE pick and should have been picked off twice before that. He plays better by the end of the game but it's in garbage time (Jax were 31-7 down in the 4th quarter).

His pocket presence struck me as much better than Mitch's, he makes slight adjustments to re-position himself for the throw, and gets the ball out fast and often to the correct read if he has a defender right in his face (whereas Mitch has that headless chicken approach when the pressure gets there).

I'm going to watch his next two starts when I'm "working" from home tomorrow, have to find the positives in this. So far, pocket presence and decision making under pressure are the big advantages over Mitch, but if we get the Foles that I just saw in the 2nd quarter of that game then that's not an upgrade.

• Like 1

I just don't get the upside here. You're overpaying for a mediocre reserve, and gave a 4th to do it. I'd have rather used a 2nd on someone with some upside. Foles has a massive outlier year and if you take that out then he has a 44 to 33 TD to INT ratio and a completion percentage that is BELOW Tru's. Without that year he's at a sub .500 winning record. Yes he had a strong run in the postseason, no it is not anywhere near his laughable median of play. 

Last year or offense had two major issues, the OL sucked and our QB couldn't throw with an  average NFL QB's level of accuracy. His arm was basically buckshot. So how do we help Nagy show he can coach and playcall? Get a big, slow TE for captain checkdown and overpay for a decent reserve that is meant to "push" a bust. He has familiarity with the offense to a degree but he's still just not very good as a rental. 

I'd have rather gambled on a rookie or signed Winston if they had no intention of pursuing Brady. Idc if he isn't familiar with the offense, he at least has upside, and I say this having a long record of hate towards the guy on this and the old forum. If Nagy cant work the dumbed down offense with a more talented QB then we know Nagy is a root issue rather than a victim of Pace's terrible QB signings. This does nothing to clear things up, it just muddies the water more. 

Oh well. Could be worse. 

30 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Probably god awful again

Maybe but we won't know that for sure until we see him play with someone who is a legit threat to take his job.

How can you be surprised that Mitch will still be given every opportunity to be the starter after this idea has been hammered home several times throughout the offseason and even Pace has continued to support Mitch?

Just now, topwop1 said:

Maybe but we won't know that for sure until we see him play with someone who is a legit threat to take his job.

How can you be surprised that Mitch will still be given every opportunity to be the starter after this idea has been hammered home several times throughout the offseason and even Pace has continued to support Mitch?

Even if Foles is the trash QB I think he is, the fact that Nagy will be more comfortable turning to him than he was Daniels if Mitch has a 2019 season in and of itself is a positive. The 4th rounder kills me though. Ugh. 

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Trubisky will be given "every opportunity." IIRC May 5 is the deadline to decline his 5th year option. If that gets declined, he's done and Foles is the starter week 1.

44 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'll take what Garafolo says with a grain of salt but this would not be a bit surprising if this the feeling right now. 

Pace loves Mitch and is not ready to give up on him until he is forced to, so that short leash is probably a lot longer than what it is being led on.

GM Speak.  "All positions are in competition always."  

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think Trubisky will be given "every opportunity." IIRC May 5 is the deadline to decline his 5th year option. If that gets declined, he's done and Foles is the starter week 1.

I don’t think the 5th year option plays into this in any way to whatever the competition is, but even at that I’ll still be surprised if they don’t exercise it since this is the last year they can withdraw it before next league year starts. There’s no reason not to exercise it because there’s no real commitment behind it. If Mitch doesn’t play then it gets withdrawn. If he plays and plays poorly then he gets benched anyway and maybe even deactivated on game day (to keep him healthy) and it gets withdrawn. If he plays and plays well then they aren’t obligated to a big new deal or a franchise tag. 

2 hours ago, soulman said:

The 4th round pick was a gift anyway and who might we have drafted that late with the potential to have as much impact as Foles may have?

Gordon. But that would be seen as supplanting Mitch, which they don't want to do. Oh, and that "impact" would be delayed, as Gordon isn't ready. 

36 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Here's my question:

Why would the Bears restructure Foles' deal the way they did? What's the benefit? If it was less money or less guarantees, fine, but they essentially said "if you play well, leave." Was that really necessary?

They moved the guaranteed money out of this year. 

Spread it out to Lowe the cap hit.

If he plays really well he opts out and gets Tannehilled.

If he doesn’t play KR plays poorly, he stays cashes out his guaranteed money and backs up.

Now having read more...I don't understand the hate for this move.

It seems that a lot of you have talked yourselves into hating a guy that was  Super Bowl MVP. Who beat Tom Brady and the Patriots to get that--not Goff and the Rams, or something.

I'm not calling out to commission Foles' bust for the Hall of Fame, or anything, but...are we really convinced that Fisher used him well on the Rams? Or that was even a good staff? Or--that he wasn't brought back too early from injury last year? Or that Gardner Minshew has no chance to be a good NFL starter? 

Dalton is probably going to start for the Patriots. Newton and Winston are dumpster fires as leaders.

I don't get how this move is bad. I really don't. Foles has played well. He needs pieces around him, but we have those, and we'll acquire more.