Bears to trade 4th Round Pick to Jaguars for Nick Foles

RJ_11

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not that any of this matters because I have never heard ANYTHING about Nagy contacting the Bengals organization 2 weeks ago regarding Dalton. But.....

That's not true though. Dalton was still under contract before FA began and that is all that matters. 

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Policies/7-2018 Anti-Tampering Policy-Clean Version.pdf

NFL Players. No club, nor any person employed by or otherwise affiliated with a club, is permitted to tamper with a player who is under contract to or whose exclusive negotiating rights are held by another club.

Trade Discussions. Unless a new club has received written permission directly from a player’s employer club, entering into discussions with a player or his agent concerning the new club’s interest in acquiring the player via trade or otherwise would constitute a violation of the Anti-Tampering Policy. Under no circumstances should a new club rely upon any written or oral representation by a player or his agent that he has received permission to enter into discussions for a trade or negotiations for a contract. Nor should a new club rely upon a letter from the employer club to the agent or player granting such permission since employer clubs typically reserve the right to withdraw permission at any time, and may have already done so. Permission must be 4 NFL Anti-Tampering Policy (2018-2019) received by the new club directly from the employer club and should be in writing to protect the interests of both clubs.

This is also not true. 

Assumption of Risk. To avoid potentially embarrassing situations and possible disciplinary actions, clubs are reminded that any contact by members of one organization with players of another organization could potentially interfere with an employer-employee relationship of the second club, even if the circumstances surrounding the contact may appear to be innocent. The Competition Committee has reviewed the Anti-Tampering Policy on numerous occasions and has always emphasized that great care and judgment must be exercised when any contact is made between the members of an organization and players from other teams, even in situations in which close personal relationships may exist. Although the Policy does not prohibit conversations or other forms of communication that are strictly social in nature, such communication can quickly and easily cross the line into prohibited topics of the type discussed in Section 3(b)(6) below. For this reason, clubs whose personnel engage in such social contact do so at their own risk and expose themselves and their clubs to discipline.

I understand what you're saying but Cincy themselves had already said they were attempting to find a trade partner for Dalton that he found acceptable.  This has been known for weeks and FWIW it was also reported by many sources that the Bears had an interest in Dalton and had been in contact with Cincy about him.  I don't know how you could have missed reading about it.  And think about it.  As invested in finding a vet QB as Pace has been how could he not have at least had an interest and inquired what Cincy was asking?

Trade compensation would obviously been a matter for Pace and Cincy to discuss but Cincy cannot speak for Dalton or his agent as it relates to a contract matter.  So it stands to reason that if a restructuring of Dalton's current contract and quite possibly negotiating an extension was pivotal to any trade that would have to be discussed with Dalton's agent.  If Pace asked for written permission it was more than likely given but in this case wouldn't it be as much a matter of a formality to dot the I's and cross the T's as anything?

What I mean by that is Cincy wasn't gonna report the Bears for tampering with a player they had publicly stated they were attempting to trade when the Bears were honestly seeking a potential trade.  This wasn't a case of Pace reaching out to Dalton through his agent before Cincy had said they were shopping Dalton.  Any contact would have been done after it was a known fact.  To be honest I think we're just splitting hairs here.  We know Dalton is being shopped and we know he was one of the QBs Pace had an interest in.

I'm not saying any offers were made by anyone but certainly Pace would have been probing those areas he would need to know about before making any kind of decision.  Half of what goes on in Indy during the Combine is GMs discussing potential trades and GMs and agents discussing contract matters and in the end it would still be up to the "injured team" to file a complaint for tampering if they believed that had taken place.  So I can't imagine how that would fly if they had already declared an interest in trading a player.

What about Cam Newton?  Carolina announced they have given him permission to seek a trade.  Would that require them giving written permission to his agent to do so?  Would any team who wished to talk with his agent also need written permission?  If that's truly the case all Carolina needs to do is FAX a letter giving permission so it's not as if it's that big a deal and again if the player under contract is on the market I think some legal tampering would be allowed just as it is for impending FAs 3 days prior to the new league year.

I know about "the rules" but the NFL has also acknowledged the need for practicality which is why there is a legal tampering period for impending UFAs and RFAs and I believe they also recognize the need for personal contact with the agent of a player under contract whose being shopped for that same reason.  If a team is trying to trade the guy how could anyone tamper without being given permission to speak with or negotiate with the players agent written or otherwise?  I can't imagine an instance where a team would even claim tampering let alone the league prosecute a tampering charge.

But it's all ancient history now anyway. 

I’ve talked in several threads about the O line problems dating back to before last season even started after I watched them practice in camp.

Just another point to illustrate how it can snowball.

Playing O line is weirdly a lot like defending in basketball.   Basketball honestly has a lot of skills that translate well to football especially for a position like TE.  

If you can ever remember playing in a game where there was a weak player or two on your team that could not guard their opponent.  What inevitably happens?

Defensive assignments break down across all 5 players not just the one that is playing badly.  Same exact thing happens to O lines.  For a time everyone will maintain the “do your job” mentality, but usually it will break down over time as one guy tries to cover a bit for another.

What you saw on 2019 Bears was guys missing blocks and that leading to missed assignments and staying on a double instead of doubling to a LB and so on.   When that happens you get unblocked players which is what we saw way too much.

• Like 4

I only saw the 49ers a couple of times last year, but they have the right idea as far as O line play.  

Now obviously they are talented, but if you notice they are not using the step sideways and catch tech that a lot of zone teams use.  Coaches do that to cover gaps and to marry the steps with RB and its all supposed to be a choreographed sync, blah, blah, blah.

49ers fire out.  They get off the ball going  forward mostly.   During a broadcast Chris Collinsworth said their coach talked about that.   I think with physics that is a huge advantage and I don’t know why teams started giving up on that in the 2000s.  They are being the mouse and not the cat.  

There is an awesome HS program in a CA called De LaSalle and they had a legendary coach who worked all spring and summer on O line get off and techniques to improve get off and his O lines were amazing to watch.  

• Like 2

Now like I said in another thread, when I watched the Bears practice team the O line lost every match.  As a result MT threw every pass off schedule.

Those were majority of his summer team reps. 

That is a stupid way to prepare a QB for the season IMO.   

Coaching and practice is  all about quality reps and trying to get as many quality reps in as possible in time allotted.  

Now MT still has major accuracy and consistency problems outside of that.  But Nagy did him no favors in 2019.  

• Like 3

I don’t think Foles has much to offer but I’m going to be supportive of the acquisition from here on out and will be happy to admit I’m wrong if he balls out for us. I think Chicago fan scrutiny is the worst in the nfl and hinders qbs from teaching their potential 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyty said:

I don’t think Foles has much to offer but I’m going to be supportive of the acquisition from here on out and will be happy to admit I’m wrong if he balls out for us. I think Chicago fan scrutiny is the worst in the nfl and hinders qbs from teaching their potential 

Agree. I don't like the move, but I'll root for him and Trubs. I'm sick of the Bear fan mentality of "the backup qb is better!" It gets pretty old hearing they should run with Chase Daniel or Matt Barkley or Jimmy Clausen... At some point we gotta pick a guy and stick with him for a while. If you have 2 QBs, you have no QBs.

Guess I'll be one of those exceptions who feels it was a good move.  I also believe there's a 50/50 chance Foles and Mitch will end up in no less than a dead heat come Sept. forcing Nagy to decide which to start.  It may be Mitch but he'll be on a very short leash especially if this pandemic ends up shortening the season.  I also believe there's a better than 50% chance Foles will be starting before the season's over.

Whoever is bound and determined to compare Foles with a Mahomes or a Rodgers or any top tier starter is gonna be disappointed but he's firmly in that next tier and throughout his career has undeniably been one of the most prepared and productive #2 QBs in the NFL for many years.  Jeezus, the guy won the 2017 Super Bowl over Brady and was also it's MVP.  Who the phuc else could we bring in whose done that?

If Mitch busts this year we're back to square one and in need of drafting another rookie QB and developing him.  If that happens I believe we'll be quite happy to have a capable starter for another year or two while that process plays out.  I'm not claiming Foles is the final solution but I do believe that with this defense and better offensive support he can keep us competitive for the foreseeable future.

When we played Philly all the Philly fans were in our forum posting penis gifs.

It was really weird.  

You are grown men and can do what you want, but I'm against it.  I was never into the gay hazing that some people were into in high school.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

When we played Philly all the Philly fans were in our forum posting penis gifs.

It was really weird.  

You are grown men and can do what you want, but I'm against it.  I was never into the gay hazing that some people were into in high school.

Well since you were home-schooled that would have been super weird. 

On 3/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, soulman said:

Guess I'll be one of those exceptions who feels it was a good move.  I also believe there's a 50/50 chance Foles and Mitch will end up in no less than a dead heat come Sept. forcing Nagy to decide which to start.  It may be Mitch but he'll be on a very short leash especially if this pandemic ends up shortening the season.  I also believe there's a better than 50% chance Foles will be starting before the season's over.

Whoever is bound and determined to compare Foles with a Mahomes or a Rodgers or any top tier starter is gonna be disappointed but he's firmly in that next tier and throughout his career has undeniably been one of the most prepared and productive #2 QBs in the NFL for many years.  Jeezus, the guy won the 2017 Super Bowl over Brady and was also it's MVP.  Who the phuc else could we bring in whose done that?

If Mitch busts this year we're back to square one and in need of drafting another rookie QB and developing him.  If that happens I believe we'll be quite happy to have a capable starter for another year or two while that process plays out.  I'm not claiming Foles is the final solution but I do believe that with this defense and better offensive support he can keep us competitive for the foreseeable future.

I think Mitch starts the first 4 and is pulled by the 5th when he is routinely missing simple throws. We should have a poll made. 

Eli Manning. Gross, but just saying. lol

I hope we draft one this year to offer real competition for the rookie next year. If Foles does have a good-ish year he will likely opt out so he can get a bigger deal. Get the young guy in the system now so you can have a competent two or strike gold and have a potential starter for the foreseeable future. I'd just be happy having a cheap system QB as a back up for the next 4 years. 

Eli Manning. Gross, but just saying. lol

I hope we draft one this year to offer real competition for the rookie next year. If Foles does have a good-ish year he will likely opt out so he can get a bigger deal. Get the young guy in the system now so you can have a competent two or strike gold and have a potential starter for the foreseeable future. I'd just be happy having a cheap system QB as a back up for the next 4 years. 

On 3/20/2020 at 1:46 PM, Tyty said:

That's where I am at. I don't care for the move but like with a number of moves I hope they prove me wrong to benefit the Bears. Even if he never teaches his potential. 

Edited by Sugashane