Bears to trade 4th Round Pick to Jaguars for Nick Foles

RJ_11

On 4/7/2020 at 11:55 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Unless something drastically changes very soon that allows off-season programs to continue there will be no competition at QB.  

It's Mitch's job to lose. Winning cures everything and Mitch will remain the starter if the team is winning. It's that's simple. If we are winning in the first half of the season there won't be a change unless Mitch regresses THAT much.

Determining how soon Foles will even see the field will be based on how the schedule plays out.

This is what the schedule looks like (not in order). If we start out 6-2, Mitch keeps his job. If we start out 5-3.....there MIGHT be talks of a change depending on how the offense is going. If we start out 4-4....the rumblings begin in full effect (depending on the offense). If we start any worse than that (and it's largely because of pass play) then Foles will start. 

Falcons = Wash
Panthers = Win
Lions = Split
Packers = Split
Vikings = Split
NO = Loss
TB = Loss
HOU = Win
INDy = Win
NYG = Win
JAC = Win
LAR = Wash
TEN = Win

I don’t think most Bears fans and pundits want to hear that.  In their minds its Foles job now.   I think think they are ignoring crazy offseason and Pace statement that Mitch will be first in huddle.  

Whoever wins job is going to have a quick hook.  Foles Philly situation not withstanding, an in season QB carousel almost never works out well.  

Edited by dll2000

I still feel like Foles has the inside track, as based off his execution of the offense  last year-and the dialing back of it along the way-it's hard to say Mitch has command of the offense. He might have the players on his side, but pretty sure Foles has a deeper knowledge base even though he's been on different teams. Man does it suck to say that!

You're probably right on the "quick hook" for whatever QB we have out there. It's going to be a real joy to be around Bears fans this year the first time anyone throws and INT. 

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

I don’t think most Bears fans and pundits want to hear that.  In their minds its Foles job now.   I think think they are ignoring crazy offseason and Pace statement that Mitch will be first in huddle.  

Whoever wins job is going to have a quick hook.  Foles Philly situation not withstanding, an in season QB carousel almost never works out well.  

Counter-point: Pace says a lot of things to the media that often don't come true.

Foles gave up a lot of guaranteed money to get out of Jacksonville. It's hard to believe he did that just to come into another backup role.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 11:55 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Unless something drastically changes very soon that allows off-season programs to continue there will be no competition at QB.  

It's Mitch's job to lose. Winning cures everything and Mitch will remain the starter if the team is winning. It's that's simple. If we are winning in the first half of the season there won't be a change unless Mitch regresses THAT much.

I can easily see a situation panning out where the team is winning in spite of Mitch, which leads to him getting the hook. It'll be a lot more than W-L record...

48 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I still feel like Foles has the inside track, as based off his execution of the offense  last year-and the dialing back of it along the way-it's hard to say Mitch has command of the offense. He might have the players on his side, but pretty sure Foles has a deeper knowledge base even though he's been on different teams. Man does it suck to say that!

You're probably right on the "quick hook" for whatever QB we have out there. It's going to be a real joy to be around Bears fans this year the first time anyone throws and INT. 

I do think that they want want Mitch to have a leg up in their "competition". That being said--Mitch is going to have to improve from last year's performance to have absolutely any chance of playing close to Foles' level. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, and how much we're told about what's going on behind the scenes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

That is par for course for Bears fans.   Play the back up! is always a mantra.  People used to call for Tomczak over McMahon if McMahon had a bad game.  That is as far back as my Bears memory goes.

I am shocked and a little proud they gave MT two years before they jumped ship. 

• Like 1

I think Pace is mature and big picture enough that he wants best QB to play, but for his legacy he would love for Mitch to all of a sudden become good.

A lot of people without a vested interest would have just given up on Mitch by now and moved on.

I am really proud that he cut Floyd.  That says a lot.  It seemed an obvious move, he was expensive and unproductive.  But a lot of people still thought it wouldn't happen and even went to lengths to justify it not happening.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Foles gave up a lot of guaranteed money to get out of Jacksonville. It's hard to believe he did that just to come into another backup role.

Foles actually didn’t give up any of his guaranteed money - he only restructured the guarantees and gave up most of the non-guaranteed parts of his existing deal for the opportunity to be able to opt out if he plays and plays well. Your larger point still stands though and I agree with it - he wanted to be here because he thinks he’s got a good chance to not only play here but succeed. He’d probably be gracious in losing a legitimate QB competition but he’s not by any means coming here expecting to lose it. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Foles actually didn’t give up any of his guaranteed money - he only restructured the guarantees and gave up most of the non-guaranteed parts of his existing deal for the opportunity to be able to opt out if he plays and plays well. Your larger point still stands though and I agree with it - he wanted to be here because he thinks he’s got a good chance to not only play here but succeed. He’d probably be gracious in losing a legitimate QB competition but he’s not by any means coming here expecting to lose it. 

This.  Foles is not stupid.  

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I doubt many in the organization expect Foles to lose it. He already knows the offense. He's very familiar with the coaching staff. Any shortening of offseason activities is less likely to hurt his chances to play well immediately.

I think there's a reason Nagy talked to Mitch about the implications of acquiring Foles. If the intention was to give Mitch another chance, it seems dubious to acquire such a strong fit.

7 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I doubt many in the organization expect Foles to lose it. He already knows the offense. He's very familiar with the coaching staff. Any shortening of offseason activities is less likely to hurt his chances to play well immediately.

I think there's a reason Nagy talked to Mitch about the implications of acquiring Foles. If the intention was to give Mitch another chance, it seems dubious to acquire such a strong fit.

I think Mitch is not quite as bad as most Bears fans think he is at this point and Foles not as good.   It will be an interesting situation.

I think after last year MT has to have lost some trust with Nagy.  I can tell you having called offenses, when nothing is working because you can't properly execute your base plays it is incredibly frustrating as a play caller.  It is like being repeatedly punched in the gut and the balls for 90 minutes and no one has any sympathy, only blame and scorn.   Coaching is definitely a roller coaster of high highs and low lows unless you are part of a dominant program.   Nagy went through that for almost a full season and had to give press conferences after each poor offensive performance.  That is sanity breaking.

Nagy did fire the O line coach so maybe he is placing more of blame there.   That was a large part no doubt.  But MT bears a lot of blame as well as does Nagy himself.   

I do think most Bears fans are of mindset that job is Foles and Mitch is history.

As I have stated before neither Mitch nor Foles has ever played a full slate of games and a collar bone break is a recurring injury.   Once you break it once it seems to be easier to break again.  Remember Ron Paulus from high school and Notre Dame hype?  He was probably never going to be a pro, but had his college career derailed by recurring collar breaks.  

Nor do shoulder injuries just go away forever after a surgery.   They are always there.  Ask Anthony Miller about that or really anyone who has had shoulder issues.  

So I think under any circumstances a total write off of MT is premature.  You will likely see him start at least a game or two regardless.  Bears would be foolish not to prepare and develop him as best they can.

And if Mitch wins job by balling out in preseason then odds are very good you will see Foles at some point.   So if you are team Mitch (of which there are few left) or team Foles you will likely get to see your guy play in 2020.   If there is football in 2020.  

If the world is at point where we decide shut down in Fall football will be very far from greatest of our concerns

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I think Mitch is not quite as bad as most Bears fans think he is at this point and Foles not as good.   It will be an interesting situation.

I think after last year MT has to have lost some trust with Nagy.  I can tell you having called offenses, when nothing is working because you can't properly execute your base plays it is incredibly frustrating as a play caller.  It is like being repeatedly punched in the gut and the balls for 90 minutes and no one has any sympathy, only blame and scorn.   Coaching is definitely a roller coaster of high highs and low lows unless you are part of a dominant program.   Nagy went through that for almost a full season and had to give press conferences after each poor offensive performance.  That is sanity breaking.

Nagy did fire the O line coach so maybe he is placing more of blame there.   That was a large part no doubt.  But MT bears a lot of blame as well as does Nagy himself.   

I do think most Bears fans are of mindset that job is Foles and Mitch is history.

As I have stated before neither Mitch nor Foles has ever played a full slate of games and a collar bone break is a recurring injury.   Once you break it once it seems to be easier to break again.  Remember Ron Paulus from high school and Notre Dame hype?  He was probably never going to be a pro, but had his college career derailed by recurring collar breaks.  

Nor do shoulder injuries just go away forever after a surgery.   They are always there.  Ask Anthony Miller about that or really anyone who has had shoulder issues.  

So I think under any circumstances a total write off of MT is premature.  You will likely see him start at least a game or two regardless.  Bears would be foolish not to prepare and develop him as best they can.

And if Mitch wins job by balling out in preseason then odds are very good you will see Foles at some point.   So if you are team Mitch (of which there are few left) or team Foles you will likely get to see your guy play in 2020.   If there is football in 2020.  

If the world is at point where we decide shut down in Fall football will be very far from greatest of our concerns

Aaron Rodgers was fine after 2-3 collarbones. I think you can say what you're saying after just about any injury. Foles will be fine.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I really think the Bears need to add a QB with starting upside this draft.

2020: Foles vs Trubiksy, Rookie

2021: Foles vs Rookie

2022: Rookie, Foles

That seems to be the best transition to the next QB.

This would be a good draft to get that QB. Take BPA with the first 2nd round pick and trade down with the second.