Bears to trade 4th Round Pick to Jaguars for Nick Foles

RJ_11

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He has been mostly a back up.

We were talking when he was a full time starter from get go.  

I’m talking about 2015 after signing in STL and then last year. He wasn’t a starter in 2013 until midseason. In 2014 his production wasn’t any better than Mark Sanchez who replaced him after injury. Mark Sanchez. He’s been repeatedly in the role of backup because with any significant time on the field he’s shown that that’s the role where he’s best suited. 

Again ... almost nothing Bears could have actually done at QB in 2020 to make most Bears fans happy.

They can't go back in time and draft Mahomes.

It was Dalton, Newton, or Foles, maybe Winston.   I don't want any of them, but I'll take Foles or Winston from that group.  

Foles knows the offense and these guys are in win now mode.  Winston, Newton or Dalton would have to learn the O in camp.

• Like 2

I really want to hate this move...I reckon I really should hate this move...but I sorta don't...

Pace was damned if he did damned if he didn't..."We need a vet backup to compete with Mitch" followed by "Nick Foles? This guy sucks and was benched"...

There are never enough good QBs to go around and of the likes of Foles, Dalton, Bridgewater it was always Foles who fitted the coaching staff and system the best...people will say Bridgewater is better...would we be saying that if this was after his last year with Minny? Doubtful...Bridgewater showed excellent play in a scheme that took another QB who was seen as expendable and gave him a HoF career...I believe much more in the scheme than Bridgewater...Dalton would have probably cost more and for what? a guy who can't handle a big stage?...Foles isn't perfect at all...like no where near...but at least he has had success in this scheme and in the post season which can't go unnoticed.

• Like 4

To those who will believe the sky is falling because it's Foles.

Who did you expect?  Tom Brady?  LOL

Go back and look at the UFA list.  Rivers was never gonna come here to play second fiddle to Mitch.  Mariota went elsewhere and that's probably no great loss since he's pretty much Mitch v2.0.  We took a swing at Bridgewater but for equal money he could go to Carolina and start day one.  Keenum isn't much better than Daniels.  Newton and Winston are poor fits and not UFAs.

So who was left on the menu?

Carr, Dalton, and Foles.  All guys we'd need to trade for.  Carr is staying put and that's no great loss.  Dalton may well end up in NE to replace Brady and also be assured a #1 spot.  So who was left?  If Foles is the best we could do given the ground rules any QB we bring in would work under then it is what it is.  If we get the same guy who played in Philly and KC and went 22-11 as a starter with 61 tds and only 23 ints then how much better could we have done?  If we get the STL/JAX version well then we're still phuc'd.

My hope is that in competition Mitch and Foles will make each other better.  If not we'll be looking to move into a better spot to draft a QB in round one in 2021 and that's they way it'll go.  Pace and Nagy wanted competition at QB and I'd say these two guys squaring off is about as equal as it's gonna get.  The bottom line is that it seems to be the best we could do given what choices we had.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Again ... almost nothing Bears could have actually done at QB in 2020 to make most Bears fans happy.

It was Dalton, Newton, or Foles, maybe Winston.   I don't want any of them, but I'll take Foles or Winston from that group.  

Foles knows the offense and these guys are in win now mode.  Winston, Newton or Dalton would have to learn the O in camp.

Exactly...who were people expecting them to get at QB?  No matter who it was it would have been met with criticism from certain fans.

Simply put they wanted a veteran to push Trubisky and Foles is a guy with experience with the coaching staff.  The only other veteran guy that made sense to me was Dalton and he would have cost a similar price.  Cam is done physically and Brady was never going to consider coming here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Both Mahomes and an all pro OT were both literally on the table 3 years ago but the bad GM passed on both.

The past is the past.  You aren't gonna fix the here and now by dwelling on the past.  You fix what you can fix the best way possible.

• Like 1

It's not necessarily Foles that I don't like.  I think it is a combination of his contract and that we had to give up draft capital for him.  That being said, the QB cupboard is pretty bare.  Now, I really do wish that they would at some point address the Oline.  With the direction that the time seems to be going this year we will really need to upgrade the Oline significantly.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yup.  When it's raining lemons make the best of it and sell all the lemonade ya' can.

We seem to have gone after both Dalton and Bridgewater first and neither was hot to come in and compete for the #1 spot.  So who was left to trade for?  Can Newton even pass a physical yet?  And just how would a gunslinger like Winston fit into an offense that requires more of a game manager?  Foles isn't the best choice he was more like the only choice.

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Here is an idea. Don't give up a 4th round pick for Nick Foles AND take on his contract (regardless of a reconstruction). Pace could have either found some cheap FA later on a 1 year deal OR use a 4th round pick or later on a QB.  

• Like 2