Bears to trade 4th Round Pick to Jaguars for Nick Foles

RJ_11

13 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This could end up being one of the steals of free agency.  Foles won a Super Bowl with DeFilippo, and if the Bears can get the defense back to their 2018 form, things could be looking pretty good in Chicago.

He won the Superbowl with Doug Pederson. DeFilippo has proven to be a dud now in his to most recent stints as an OC. 

12 minutes ago, ColGerBear said:

OTC has Quinn already, Foles as well and they removed Floyd.

Trevathans new contract is in there as well.

Edit: They still need to add Graham but we do not know the structure of the deal yet, if I had to guess it is similar to Trevathans contract with some void years.

They added Quinn and Foles since I posted. You are correct and you are 3.6 OVER THE CAP. Graham's number is not in there and draft picks are not accounted for. Long's deal is still there so your close to even. So either a restructure or a cut. Which will it be?

Edited by Golfman

Just now, Golfman said:

They added Quinn and Foles since I posted. You are correct and you are 3.6 OVER THE CAP. Graham's number is not in there and draft picks are not accounted for. 

There’s some vague rumors out there that they’re working on some extensions to increase some cap room.  So we shall see.

Just now, CBears019 said:

There’s some vague rumors out there that they’re working on some extensions to increase some cap room.  So we shall see.

Makes sense but seems a lot of that is being pushed down the road in the hopes of a major increase next year. 

20 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'll wait to see the details of the contract. But like I said, reconstructed or not this was a terrible signing.

You could be trapped with Dalton or Bridgewater for 3 years and they would hit cap much harder.  

I am guessing we got Foles for 2020 and can get out for little in 2021 or we can keep him and give him a raise if he balls out.

Seems like a pretty good contract to me.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He won the Superbowl with Doug Pederson. DeFilippo has proven to be a dud now in his to most recent stints as an OC. 

He was a dud in Minnesota, no doubt.  I think the reason for that, however, was because he was trying too hard to make himself look like a playcalling wizard.  I think he did this because the league was talking about him as possibly being the "next big thing" in a line of bright young OC's who could become the next Sean McVay.  Pederson is a good coach, but even though DeFilippo had a bad run with my team, I give him credit for being a part of the success of Philly's Super Bowl season.  Now he will be working with a QB who he had success with before.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Ya and Flip isn't the OC here he's the QB coach so I don't get your point.  Bill Lazor is the OC and he also worked with Foles in Philly back in 2013.

Fans might not like this move for the Bears, but it made a lot of sense as far as familiarity with the coaching staff and system.  Now we're hearing it isn't a significant financial commitment for Bears so what's not to like?

Who else would they have brought in to better push Mitch for a 4th round pick and some change?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mitch already had no margin for error coming into 2020 (rightfully earned, but the case nonetheless). Even if Mitch wins a competition with Foles in camp how quick is that hook gonna be? How bad would Foles have to be to not win that competition?

Kudos for seemingly cutting the cord to Pace and Nagy if that’s where their conviction was. Just wish he’d have done a different route with the replacement.

To be honest I think the battle in camp may be pretty even.  Mitch may get the nod simply because we need to know whether or not to move on so Foles backs up but Mitch is on a very short leash.

We all wish there was a different road to getting out of this but was there?  Dunno about the rest but as of yesterday I wasn't seeing a whole lot of other options did you?

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Might not be as bad as you think.  

I'm trying to figure out what we've done to restructure it apart from give Foles give the option to quit on the contract... I don't get it. 

I need to see the money, we must have changed something/moved bonuses around to lessen cap hit or else this restructure does nothing for the Bears.

Here are my thoughts

1. This was inevitable. With all the staff connections and experience in the system he was probably the #1 target the entire time.

2. Pace will be happy because he won't replace Mitch outright and he is a great backup QB.

3. Giving up a 4th is way too much for the money they took on. Pace is pretty consistently over paying for things and it is a major weakness of his.

4. The money will be massaged around and while the Bears will pay Foles his entire 21 million guaranteed it will be spread out and his non-guaranteed pay will be reduced.

32 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Finding Mitch "competition" is not a hard thing to accomplish here. Just about any QB could be considered competition. 

If Minshew can be found in the 6th round then I'm sure Pace and his scout teams could have found someone who they like in the later rounds. 

Aw come on.  Minshew could just as easily end up being a total bust once teams can watch more film on him.

Sorry brother.  Talk to me about 6th round picks becoming top line NFL starters after Minshew has taken JAX into the playoffs and a SB like Brady has.  Truth be told Foles has a far better resume than Minshew and you know that too.

Looking at the 2020 QB crop and also those FA QBs do you really believe Pace and Nagy though there was even one guy they could bring in who they could assure would give them what QBs like Dalton or Foles can?  I sure as hell don't.  That would have been depending on sheer dumb luck and if it failed fans would have been howling for Pace's *** because he DIDN"T sign a vet when he could have.

Let's stick with reality OK?

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You could be trapped with Dalton or Bridgewater for 3 years and they would hit cap much harder.  

I am guessing we got Foles for 2020 and can get out for little in 2021 or we can keep him and give him a raise if he balls out.

Seems like a pretty good contract to me.  

I guess if I'm looking to find any silver lining here then this would be one of them. Because yes, this could have been much worse.

35 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

DeFilippo was Foles QB coach not his OC and in Chicago "Flip" is still the QB coach not the OC.  So he's back in his element.

• Like 1