Bears to trade 4th Round Pick to Jaguars for Nick Foles

RJ_11

9 hours ago, Nads786 said:

This would be a good draft to get that QB. Take BPA with the first 2nd round pick and trade down with the second. 

Assuming all of Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love go in round 1 as expected, nothing about Eason really appeals to me at all. He has a real Ryan Mallett feel to me. Hurts appeals to me but I have real questions about whether he’ll ever be a good enough passer. I also think he may slide into the end of round 1 because if he can become a passable passer he brings a ton to the table in terms of natural leadership and running ability. Everyone else is just a guy IMO with backup or spot starter potential only. 

We are clearly in a win now mode for 2020 though which makes me think it’s incredibly unlikely we spend a 2 on a guy we know isn’t playing in 2020. 

On 4/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, Nads786 said:

This would be a good draft to get that QB. Take BPA with the first 2nd round pick and trade down with the second. 

I'm hoping Eason or Love is there at our first pick. Neither is ideal but both have one stellar tool. Eason can make any throw and reminds me a lot of Matt Stafford when he was coming out, or even Jameis Winston as a prospect without the character concerns. Both had more experience than him though.

Hurts seems like a weird mix of Russel Wilson and Tebow. He isn't as good of a passer as Wilson or as bad as Tebow, but has the Tebow-like intangibles from what I have read. He would likely have to have a very run-dependent scheme like Jackson has in BAL, but Montgomery and our OL don't compare with what they have yet. 

Either way with Flip here I want to get a young guy to develop and work out some of the flaws. We aren't getting one of the top guys in this draft but there are at least enough traits to be able to be excited about, especially as Tru leaves and Foles shows he isn't a long-term option. 

On 4/10/2020 at 10:25 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming all of Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love go in round 1 as expected, nothing about Eason really appeals to me at all. He has a real Ryan Mallett feel to me. Hurts appeals to me but I have real questions about whether he’ll ever be a good enough passer. I also think he may slide into the end of round 1 because if he can become a passable passer he brings a ton to the table in terms of natural leadership and running ability. Everyone else is just a guy IMO with backup or spot starter potential only. 

We are clearly in a win now mode for 2020 though which makes me think it’s incredibly unlikely we spend a 2 on a guy we know isn’t playing in 2020. 

I was in love with Eason before his slump. I still find him intriguing, but he'd be too much of a risk for either of our second round picks at this point. If Pace trades down, nets more picks, I could see it then (or taking him in the fifth, if he falls that far). I never cared for Mallett, coming out. Just too stiff and robotic, and didn't really have that "wow" factor for me. I still feel that Eason has at least some potential. 

Hurts looks to have the arm talent necessary, but just not the consistency. I don't think he needs to improve all that much to have a real shot at being a starter, or starter-quality anyway. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I was in love with Eason before his slump. I still find him intriguing, but he'd be too much of a risk for either of our second round picks at this point. If Pace trades down, nets more picks, I could see it then (or taking him in the fifth, if he falls that far). I never cared for Mallett, coming out. Just too stiff and robotic, and didn't really have that "wow" factor for me. I still feel that Eason has at least some potential. 

Hurts looks to have the arm talent necessary, but just not the consistency. I don't think he needs to improve all that much to have a real shot at being a starter, or starter-quality anyway. 

I would agree with that. I just wanna see us aim higher than a guy with a real shot at being starter quality with our next future QB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I would agree with that. I just wanna see us aim higher than a guy with a real shot at being starter quality with our next future QB. 

I wouldn't expect anyone in the 2nd to be given the job.  I'd still be looking at one in the 1st next year unless he really wowed me this year.  But having two young guys push each other is my ideal scenario for 2021. Have a low cap commitment to that position and stack the team around them.  

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I wouldn't expect anyone in the 2nd to be given the job.  I'd still be looking at one in the 1st next year unless he really wowed me this year.  But having two young guys push each other is my ideal scenario for 2021. Have a low cap commitment to that position and stack the team around them.  

The issue I have with that is that any QB we take this year in round 2 isn’t getting any run at all this offseason unless we dump Mitch entirely, which is highly unlikely. If Mitch is still on the roster post-draft any QB we take this year is almost certainly not going to play this year, so to me taking one in round 2 would be a gross misuse of our already limited draft resources. Further, if we take a 2nd round guy and still need to draft a round 1 guy in 2021 then the 2020 2nd round QB will almost certainly be a completely useless asset, because Foles is already virtually guaranteed a roster spot for 2021, meaning the trade value for the 2020 #2 will be incredibly low. IMO, the only way we take a 2nd round QB this year and it’s not a waste is if we drop Mitch before TC, and the 2nd rounder not only is good but is good enough right away to dissuade us from taking another QB early in 2021. That’s a pretty tall ask, and probably a non-palatable one for a team that’s trying to win this year first and foremost. 

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The issue I have with that is that any QB we take this year in round 2 isn’t getting any run at all this offseason unless we dump Mitch entirely, which is highly unlikely. If Mitch is still on the roster post-draft any QB we take this year is almost certainly not going to play this year, so to me taking one in round 2 would be a gross misuse of our already limited draft resources. Further, if we take a 2nd round guy and still need to draft a round 1 guy in 2021 then the 2020 2nd round QB will almost certainly be a completely useless asset, because Foles is already virtually guaranteed a roster spot for 2021, meaning the trade value for the 2020 #2 will be incredibly low. IMO, the only way we take a 2nd round QB this year and it’s not a waste is if we drop Mitch before TC, and the 2nd rounder not only is good but is good enough right away to dissuade us from taking another QB early in 2021. That’s a pretty tall ask, and probably a non-palatable one for a team that’s trying to win this year first and foremost. 

I'm looking away it as if I were making the moves too, Pace much more connections with Tru, I think a 2nd round rookie could best Tru out for the number 2 role, and I'd probably be more comfortable with a rookie than hoping Tru could keep an offense rolling. Tru is the useless asset to me and would be gone in 2021.  Foles is the guy atm but he has only been able to have extended spurts of good play in PHI, and if he hits in one of the rare good years then he will likely void his deal to get overpaid again. 

He's 5 years older and only has started 7 more regular season games than Tru. I'm just not enamored with him.

Also I disagree the trade value being low because we have him as the number 3, the value is as high as anyone is willing to pay. That's based on their own need,  not ours. 

This is also based on Flip and Nagy living a player too. If they aren't sold then to me that would be a waste of a pick. But if they feel Eason could actually take the top off the defense then he is a much better fit than Tru for Nagys offense.