Bears to trade 4th Round Pick to Jaguars for Nick Foles

RJ_11

Nick Foles signed a four year, $88 million contract with the Jaguars. The contract has $50.125 million in guarantees, $45.125 million of which is fully guaranteed at signing. Foles received a $25 million signing bonus and his 2019 and 2020 salaries, which total $20.125 million, are fully guaranteed. A $5 million roster bonus due on the 5th day of the 2021 league year will become fully guaranteed if Foles is on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2020 league year.  $2 million of the contract is tied to per game bonuses. Foles can earn up to an additional $14 million in high level incentives tied to playtime, honors, and performance.

Looks like if he fails completely the Bears can cut him after this season with a 5m cap hit and save nearly 15m.

Not a fan though.

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I really want to hate this move...I reckon I really should hate this move...but I sorta don't...

Pace was damned if he did damned if he didn't..."We need a vet backup to compete with Mitch" followed by "Nick Foles? This guy sucks and was benched"...

There are never enough good QBs to go around and of the likes of Foles, Dalton, Bridgewater it was always Foles who fitted the coaching staff and system the best...people will say Bridgewater is better...would be be saying that if this was after his last year with Minny? Doubtful...Bridgewater showed excellent play in a scheme that took another QB who was seen as expendable and gave him a HoF career...I believe much more in the scheme than Bridgewater...Dalton would have probably cost more and for what? a guy who can't handle a big stage?...Foles isn't perfect at all...like no where near...but at least he has had success in this scheme and in the post season which can't go unnoticed.

I do believe you have the most correct view of it Mike.  Given what we COULD do Pace did the best he could do.

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Again ... almost nothing Bears could have actually done at QB in 2020 to make most Bears fans happy.

They can't go back in time and draft Mahomes.

It was Dalton, Newton, or Foles, maybe Winston.   I don't want any of them, but I'll take Foles or Winston from that group.  

Foles knows the offense and these guys are in win now mode.  Winston, Newton or Dalton would have to learn the O in camp.

Didn't Chase Daniels know the offense? 

I'd rather have a good QB learn the offense than a bad one who knows it, but that's just me.

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Here is an idea. Don't give up a 4th round pick for Nick Foles AND take on his contract (regardless of a reconstruction). Pace could have either found some cheap FA later on a 1 year deal OR use a 4th round pick or later on a QB.  

Might not be as bad as you think.  

Just now, big_palooka said:

Didn't Chase Daniels know the offense? 

I'd rather have a good QB learn the offense than a bad one who knows it, but that's just me.

Why do you only show up on here when the Bears make a bad move? It's getting to the point of trolling now.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Exactly...who were people expecting them to get at QB?  No matter who it was it would have been met with criticism from certain fans.

Simply put they wanted a veteran to push Trubisky and Foles is a guy with experience with the coaching staff.  The only other veteran guy that made sense to me was Dalton and he would have cost a similar price.  Cam is done physically and Brady was never going to consider coming here.

I fully understand that our options weren’t good. I just think Foles isn’t the upgrade some seem to think. I see a guy whose career output on the whole isn’t notably better than the career output on the whole so far of the guy they’re bringing him in to presumably replace as QB1 (talking mid Foles to mid Mitch), which itself wasn’t good enough for anyone. Paying a mid-round pick in a year we have little draft capital to acquire him and apparently taking on a significant guarantee we probably didn’t need to take on only makes it worse.

God do I hope I’m wrong about this one.

😒😒😒

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I really want to hate this move...I reckon I really should hate this move...but I sorta don't...

Pace was damned if he did damned if he didn't..."We need a vet backup to compete with Mitch" followed by "Nick Foles? This guy sucks and was benched"...

There are never enough good QBs to go around and of the likes of Foles, Dalton, Bridgewater it was always Foles who fitted the coaching staff and system the best...people will say Bridgewater is better...would we be saying that if this was after his last year with Minny? Doubtful...Bridgewater showed excellent play in a scheme that took another QB who was seen as expendable and gave him a HoF career...I believe much more in the scheme than Bridgewater...Dalton would have probably cost more and for what? a guy who can't handle a big stage?...Foles isn't perfect at all...like no where near...but at least he has had success in this scheme and in the post season which can't go unnoticed.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about  it.  The biggest problems for me is giving up a pick and the contract.  Looks like his contract can be voided after this year, and I have to ask myself, what is our potential of finding someone who can push Trubisky immediately with a 4th round pick in the draft?  I don't love it, but its not the most terrible decision that could have been done.  "Damned if he did, damned if he didn't" is just about the best way to put it for this scenario, especially considering the way the cards fell.  Bridgewater and others didn't want to have to come in and earn the starting position, so our options were really limited.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Here is an idea. Don't give up a 4th round pick for Nick Foles AND take on his contract (regardless of a reconstruction). Pace could have either found some cheap FA later on a 1 year deal OR use a 4th round pick or later on a QB.  

Except that would not have met the criteria he and Nagy had already established.

If you have no other choice maybe that's what you do but in neither case could we have counted on them to push Mitch so we'd have been no better off than we were in 2019 still not knowing what we have in Mitch.  He needs valid competition and FWIW Foles is valid competition.

The 4th round pick was a gift anyway and who might we have drafted that late with the potential to have as much impact as Foles may have?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Except that would not have met the criteria he and Nagy had already established.

If you have no other choice maybe that's what you do but in neither case could we have counted on them to push Mitch so we'd have been no better off than we were in 2019 still not knowing what we have in Mitch.  He needs valid competition and FWIW Foles is valid competition.

The 4th round pick was a gift anyway and who might we have drafted that late with the potential to have as much impact as Foles may have?

I can concede that this is a valid point.

• Like 1