Report: Chargers not adding veteran QB; rolling with Tyrod Taylor

RaidersAreOne

26 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Chargers better not trade up from 6. I will be livid. 

Dude you know they are. Been multiple guys in the "know" projecting a trade up in mocks, they need a QB, and they dont have a ton of needs. I think it is more likely than not IMHO.

https://lasportshub.com/2020/02/19/los-angeles-chargers-trade-tua-tagovailoa/

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/06/daniel-jeremiah-believes-chargers-will-trade-up-in-2020-nfl-draft/

Edited by BZski

27 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean even if they take Tua or Herbert at #6 chances are that Tyrod would start the season. Maybe Tua or Herbert would get to play later in the season.

Eh maybe. Long way off from that determination. And everyone would know tyrods position is temporary. The distinction isn't really important to me. 

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

If he's healthy (big if), watch Belichick just call the Panthers' bluff and try to wait them out to where they have to release Cam because they couldn't find a trade partner.

They pretty much have to release him at this point. Nobody is trading without a full medical and you're not gonna get that any time soon.

57 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

They pretty much have to release him at this point. Nobody is trading without a full medical and you're not gonna get that any time soon.

They can get a third party medical in the players town. I don’t see it as a big deal. However I also don’t see anyone wanting to trade assets for a QB they know Carolina is trying to unload. Carolina tanked Cam’s Value when they announced that Bridgewater was better. 

4 hours ago, BZski said:

Chargers will trade up to #3 and take Tua. It just makes too much sense. They dont have a ton of needs and they need to sell tickets. Tua sells tickets not Herbert or Jordan Love. 1st, 2nd, and 2021 2nd.

As a Dolphins fan I'll be shocked if Tua is just sitting there to be plucked at #5. Makes no sense based on long term and big picture. That position is so valuable you have to take a chance and allow others to get scared off by injury or adjustment. If Washington or Detroit don't wise up I fully expect the Chargers or someone else to grab Tua away. If so then I hope the Dolphins gamble on upside with Jordan Love as opposed to settling for Justin Herbert and all those flaws.

2 hours ago, BZski said:

Dude you know they are. Been multiple guys in the "know" projecting a trade up in mocks, they need a QB, and they dont have a ton of needs. I think it is more likely than not IMHO.

https://lasportshub.com/2020/02/19/los-angeles-chargers-trade-tua-tagovailoa/

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/06/daniel-jeremiah-believes-chargers-will-trade-up-in-2020-nfl-draft/

TT hasn't traded up since 2015. Maybe he'll do it now. But the only QB worth trading up for is Burrows. I would also be equally livid if we traded up to get Mr.Glass. One of the NFL downsides of this whole pandemic is that teams do not know if Tua is completely healed and healthy now.

On 18/03/2020 at 2:24 PM, vikingsrule said:

Agreed. I’m surprised when teams drop a bunch of money on a stop gap knowing they’re drafting the replacement regardless.

Yeah.  You really just need a guy who is serviceable enough to not feel immediate pressure to put a rookie in before they're "ready".  Beyond that...you're gonna have a rookie QB at some point in the year and probably not going anywhere important in the standings anyway.

Sometimes you get a team that doesn't have that Tyrod type guy already in the fold.  At that point, i guess you have to go shopping for a stopgap and it can end up being more expensive than it should.  But for the Chargers...Tyrod should fall within the realm of "good enough to not have to start the rookie Day 1".  That'll do.

On 3/18/2020 at 5:44 PM, Xenos said:

One of the NFL downsides of this whole pandemic is that teams do not know if Tua is completely healed and healthy now.

In the past, I'd be more agreeable on this one - but I wonder how much is really "unknown" for an interested team.
A big part of any exam is going to be the x-rays/ scans/mri and those are all readily available.
They also have the means to test flexion, strength, bone density etc. They can also send their team doc, or hire an independent one to conduct the exam wherever Tua is. There are commercial travel restrictions, but I'm not sure if that includes private jets

Having Tua at team HQ is preferable, but the interested teams aren't flying blind either. The same is true for any interest in Cam Newton

• Like 1

I mean, it's been reported by people in the know that Tyrod was going to be the starter since they got Trai Turner. They're also not going to be targeting a QB in round 1. They're drafting OL and taking a QB on the second day. If the pick pans out (more likely than not it's Jalen Hurts, who fits the mold of an Anthony Lynn QB), then they have their QBOTF playing on a stacked roster. If Tyrod and the pick both fail, then they get someone like Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence next year, with a strong supporting cast that will help them not to bust.

• Like 2