Falcons sign DE Dante Fowler to 3 yr, 48M deal

.Buzz

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’d like to see Rams fans chime in if Fowler’s pressures and sacks are still primarily the result of scheming him into opportunities or if he’s started to become a disruptive piece by himself. 

Well, Aaron Donald getting regularly triple-teamed definitely benefited him.  That much I can say.

• Like 1

Just now, .Buzz said:

Hope it works out for their sake, but I'm just not a fan.

Well of course I hope it works out but knowing the Falcons history... this one is going to look pretty bad in a few years. What the Falcons should have done is kept Trufant on the roster, dug up some bargain bin pass rushers who can at least be bodies that you can rotate in and out of (they aren't going to be amazing players but with a rotational pass rush you won't be horrible) and then double down on drafting the best pass rusher at 1.16. The Falcons still wouldn't have had an elite pass rush but you could go from being bad to being average that way.

Now that Trufant is gone, I think this signals to possibly pivoting to a CB at 1.16 because they have essentially no depth at that position and their starters are unproven commodities.

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

Imo this is more than he’s worth. Most of his sacks were cleaning up from AD’s pressures. Rarely generates his own sacks.

That’s basically what he was for us. He was a solid role player that could clean up after another guy or maybe get some pressure if you used a stunt to get him going 1-on-1 with a bad Guard or RT, but he wasn’t a creator. And imo you only pay creators that much money. 

1 minute ago, pwny said:

That’s basically what he was for us. He was a solid role player that could clean up after another guy or maybe get some pressure if you used a stunt to get him going 1-on-1 with a bad Guard or RT, but he wasn’t a creator. And imo you only pay creators that much money. 

I don't think Dan Quinn is a particularly effective evaluator of talent - if this signing or other moves haven't made that clear enough anyway. I agree with you, but he thinks he's probably smart enough to get away with this, when he's not.

Edited by Hukos

Just now, .Buzz said:

Same as what happened in JAX (with less snaps).

He had some good and big moments but not enough to warrant this payday. Many of us wanted to try to tag and trade but that could have left us open to him accepting it and not want to be traded. His comments said he wanted to stay but only if we offered the same as another team did.

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

The one area I think he improved a lot with us was he became a strong player against the run. Not sure I recall him being that in Jacksonville but it was a noticeable improvement this past year.

• Like 1

Just now, LeotheLion said:

The one area I think he improved a lot with us was he became a strong player against the run. Not sure I recall him being that in Jacksonville but it was a noticeable improvement this past year.

Fowler was solid against the run here.

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Run defense was the one area on defense the Falcons didn't need help with.

37 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’d like to see Rams fans chime in if Fowler’s pressures and sacks are still primarily the result of scheming him into opportunities or if he’s started to become a disruptive piece by himself. 

I'm higher on Fowler than most Rams fans. I think he really came on last year, and it was his hit on Brees that caused the INT in OT of the NFCCG.

I'm happy with Floyd for $6 million cheaper and the comp pick that'll come from Fowler though - I think we can rehab Floyd the same way we did Fowler.