Falcons sign DE Dante Fowler to 3 yr, 48M deal

.Buzz

1 hour ago, pwny said:

I’d like to see Rams fans chime in if Fowler’s pressures and sacks are still primarily the result of scheming him into opportunities or if he’s started to become a disruptive piece by himself. 

He was a good EDGE in 2019. It wasn't just scheming.

Edited by jrry32

24 minutes ago, Falconof Shadows said:

So funny how quickly fans turn when  a player leaves 

So you never read out GDT and our discussions during 2018 and 19. Fowler was far from irreplaceable and most thought the $16 million he was paid last year was too much, not just Rams fans. I'm happy for him and for you guys. Just don't think he's some great Edge rusher that we're going to miss especially at that price. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Falconof Shadows said:

So funny how quickly fans turn when  a player leaves 

About as funny as someone with less than 50 posts speaking about other fans as if he's had any experience observing them firsthand.  Just saying.  If you don't want to play Whack-a-Mole, don't poke your head out of the hole.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He was a good EDGE in 2019. It wasn't just scheming.

Yup. There were games in which he disappeared. But there were games in which he was a force by himself. Dude was a beast against the run and can lay the wood. Gonna miss him, but the money was just too much. Sadly we have to pay Jalen.. OBO and Natrez(dude is going to be a stud) are the future. Really good nice and was never a problem here. Emotional leader and can turn it up. You have to keep him motivated though(help beating doubles, winning football games). Good pick up for the dirty birds. But to deny Donald getting doubled and tripled team didn’t help him would be foolish. 

Edited by ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI
  • Like 3

He's not a bad player when used correctly, in the right situation.  But i don't think he's really got the sort of ability to be a feature piece or real focal point of a defensive front.  More of a supporting piece.  But that money seems like it is getting into the sort of territory that i'd kinda want more of a featured pass rusher.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

He's not a bad player when used correctly, in the right situation.  But i don't think he's really got the sort of ability to be a feature piece or real focal point of a defensive front.  More of a supporting piece.  But that money seems like it is getting into the sort of territory that i'd kinda want more of a featured pass rusher.

it seems like this discussion gets had every year. free agents get overpaid, compared to their production. As the cap grows along with player salaries, the deal starts to look better 1-3 years down the road.  Generally speaking, their are obvious fa busts as well. Quinn jut got similar aav and im not sure if im not taking fowler over him tbh. Floyd is certainly a lesser player today and he  just got 10 mil (possibly 13). VIC BEASLEY got 10 mil almost. Its just the way of the nfl world. 

Very happy with this signing, didnt think we had a chance with the cap restraints we had. Our edge rush was going to be awful, now with Fowler and hopefully an early draft pick it has a chance to be above average.

27 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

This.  Very much so.  The other Rambros can attest that i was probably the most outspoken critic of Fowler from even when we were first rumored to be interested in trading for him.  I just don't feel that he's the type of player that should put you off investing a premium pick in the position he plays if a player with great ceiling and floor potential is available at said pick.  And to me, that's what this kind of contract (he's not getting paid outlandishly, but he's being paid enough) suggests to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Don't think he'll have the same success without beasts like Donald and Brockers around. Technically an upgrade from Beasley I guess.

He'll have Grady Jarrett.  And maybe Quinn will rush him from more of a 9-Tech spot.  But schematically, we've seen what he can do in the scheme Atlanta runs because it's pretty damn identical to the scheme Fowler ran in under Gus Bradley when he was in Jacksonville.  Realistically he's probably a 6-9 sack a season guy.  Like you said, upgrade over Beasley, but wouldn't have been enough of an upgrade - to me - to put me off pursuing some of the EDGE guys in this draft class, which I think this contract might do for the Falcons.

1 hour ago, Hukos said:

Okay yeah, the Falcons basically blew their load. Well it was nice knowing Dan and TD. Time to look at 2021 Head Coach and General Manager candidates I guess.

We have Grady Jarrett who has been very disruptive, but that's it. I think this is more about signaling to the fanbase that they care about the defense. IE "we fixed the pass rush now guys!". Even though the pass rush still needs another 3-4 bodies to fill. The Falcons grossly overpaid on this move. Matt's basically got to play at a top 3 level in 2020 if we want to even just sniff a wildcard.

you corona depressed buddy? Your posts over the few days makes it seem that way.

This makes no sense on multiple fronts. one, the falcons dont really need to sell themself. Its a big enough market with people who care about football that people are going to go to games. Secondly youre complaining that we arent signing back end roster guys, or who are these other 3-4 bodies that we needed to fill that makes the fowler signing bad. would you have rather resigned beasley for 9.5? if we still take an edge guy on the forst or 2nd day, are pass rush should pretty much be set, maybe a super cheap flyer if one becomes available.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

He'll have Grady Jarrett.  And maybe Quinn will rush him from more of a 9-Tech spot.  But schematically, we've seen what he can do in the scheme Atlanta runs because it's pretty damn identical to the scheme Fowler ran in under Gus Bradley when he was in Jacksonville.  Realistically he's probably a 6-9 sack a season guy.  Like you said, upgrade over Beasley, but wouldn't have been enough of an upgrade - to me - to put me off pursuing some of the EDGE guys in this draft class, which I think this contract might do for the Falcons.

why would this contract steer the falcons away from an edge guy in the draft?

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

why would this contract steer the falcons away from an edge guy in the draft?

Less the AAV, more the length of time they're giving that AAV over and, potentially, how backloaded this contract may or may not be due to the limitations on Atlanta's available cap space.

46 minutes ago, The LBC said:

About as funny as someone with less than 50 posts speaking about other fans as if he's had any experience observing them firsthand.  Just saying.  If you don't want to play Whack-a-Mole, don't poke your head out of the hole.

Great shot at a assumption  but definitely wrong.  But not really worth my time to get into