Jump to content
.Buzz

Falcons sign DE Dante Fowler to 3 yr, 48M deal

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Less the AAV, more the length of time they're giving that AAV over and, potentially, how backloaded this contract may or may not be due to the limitations on Atlanta's available cap space.

still not really following. I think youre saying that you wouldnt draft a guy at the same position and he'll be hard to cut, but with pass rusher you almost have to have 2-3 capable guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Imo this is more than he’s worth. Most of his sacks were cleaning up from AD’s pressures. Rarely generates his own sacks.

Agree, this was likely a big overspend. Aren't they kinda cap tight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bomont said:

Agree, this was likely a big overspend. Aren't they kinda cap tight?

Over the cap.com has them with a bit over $2 million in space without adding Fowler. That only counts top 51 and not 53 plus it doesn’t count draft picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Over the cap.com has them with a bit over $2 million in space without adding Fowler. That only counts top 51 and not 53 plus it doesn’t count draft picks.

well thats wrong. Did you look to see if it included the recent cuts? Hint.... it doesnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

well thats wrong. Did you look to see if it included the recent cuts? Hint.... it doesnt.

Doesn't always update automatically and tbh I haven't followed their every roster move. Point stands though they're very much up against the cap. Trufant saved them something like $10 million I'm not sure who else they let go. 

Spotrac has their getting rid of Trufant and Freeman and still only having $6.5 million without Fowler added. It's always a work in progress these tracking sites. 

Edited by NVRamsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Doesn't always update automatically and tbh I haven't followed their every roster move. Point stands though they're very much up against the cap. Trufant saved them something like $10 million I'm not sure who else they let go. 

Spotrac has their getting rid of Trufant and Freeman and still only having $6.5 million without Fowler added. It's always a work in progress these tracking sites. 

we didnt have alot, but should have something like 13 post june 1 after the trufant release is official or whatever. regardless, pass rush was far and away the biggest need even after trufant was cut, instead of getting a guy or two who can maybe contribute 5 sacks, we got one who could maybe contribute a dozen (on the top end).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

we didnt have alot, but should have something like 13 post june 1 after the trufant release is official or whatever. regardless, pass rush was far and away the biggest need even after trufant was cut, instead of getting a guy or two who can maybe contribute 5 sacks, we got one who could maybe contribute a dozen (on the top end).

I never felt you guys didn't need pass rush and he wasn't a viable signing. The question was you guys had to be about out of cap space and looking at things that have been calculated and reported you don't have a lot left. Sorry if you misconstrued what I was saying there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

 

This makes no sense on multiple fronts. one, the falcons dont really need to sell themself. Its a big enough market with people who care about football that people are going to go to games. Secondly youre complaining that we arent signing back end roster guys, or who are these other 3-4 bodies that we needed to fill that makes the fowler signing bad. would you have rather resigned beasley for 9.5? if we still take an edge guy on the forst or 2nd day, are pass rush should pretty much be set, maybe a super cheap flyer if one becomes available.

Good pass rushes aren't built on 1-2 guys but more about roster depth. You can have an elite DE and an elite DT and still have a bad pass rush if the rest isn't up to snuff. What I was arguing for wasn't a path for the Falcons to have an elite pass rush, but make the move to being decent/average (which is about the best they can do). The depth we have at pass rusher is pretty bad.

Let me make this clear, even if the Falcons hit and hit hard on a pass rusher at 1.16 and both Fowler/Jarrett play at an elite level in 2020 - the pass rush could still be terrible for the reasons that I mentioned. Don't forget, secondary is a huge liability for Atlanta now that we've let Trufant go (unless you suddenly think that Isiah Oliver is suddenly going to stop being trash). Even great pass rushes can get murdered if the secondary can't hold up since QBs can just do easy dump-offs since corners aren't holding up on routes.

This whole set of moves from the Falcons just screams throwing darts at the wall and seeing what will stick. There doesn't seem to be much of a consistent plan or ideology here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hukos said:

Good pass rushes aren't built on 1-2 guys but more about roster depth. You can have an elite DE and an elite DT and still have a bad pass rush if the rest isn't up to snuff. What I was arguing for wasn't a path for the Falcons to have an elite pass rush, but make the move to being decent/average (which is about the best they can do). The depth we have at pass rusher is pretty bad.

Let me make this clear, even if the Falcons hit and hit hard on a pass rusher at 1.16 and both Fowler/Jarrett play at an elite level in 2020 - the pass rush could still be terrible for the reasons that I mentioned. Don't forget, secondary is a huge liability for Atlanta now that we've let Trufant go (unless you suddenly think that Isiah Oliver is suddenly going to stop being trash). Even great pass rushes can get murdered if the secondary can't hold up since QBs can just do easy dump-offs since corners aren't holding up on routes.

This whole set of moves from the Falcons just screams throwing darts at the wall and seeing what will stick. There doesn't seem to be much of a consistent plan or ideology here.

i agree with the pass rush being a wave, but if fowler can be a double digit guy or close to, and we draft an early pick, the we have those two and takk on the outside. its not great but has a solid chance to be above average. gradys is great and ten we can throw a couple guys inside like bailey or maybe cominsky on pass downs. ideally we may need another dt that can provide a rush but thats about it.

theres no point in arguing our corner situation as we just disagree and theres no hard facts being given by either of us. I suspect it will be a day two pick as well, and its a supper deep position in the draft.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Fowler, but I don’t see him living up to that contract.   More rash desperation by the Falcons...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Where as i like Fowler and i actually liked Beasley as well at 16 mil a year i would honestly have preferred Robert Quinn of the 2.   Atleast right now i actually am pretty high on Fowlers upside though if he can reach it.  I think we offered this to Quinn as well but the 2 extra years is what won him over to the cowboys instead of the extra salary over the 1st 3 years.  We wanted a more short term contract and Quinn at his age wanted that final last long term one which i can't blame him on.   I agree it's a bit of an overpay but depending what else we can put around him he can live up to those 10 to 12 sacks a year i think and thats fine as long as he plays the run game well.

Edited by FalconFan13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×