Week 3 GDT: Bill Polian Still Hates the Osweiler Trade & Never Tanked

Mind Character

I loved Higgins coming out of college and what he did last week, but it would be a mistake to start Higgins and Britt as primaries in 2 wide...as both lack the suddenness, burst, and the ability to get open and win quickly with force off the line.

That creates a tough pass picture for Kizer at his 3rd step in a drop as those guys uncover late in the routes due to their sub-par movement skills.

That'll lead to more coverage sacks and Kizer holding onto the ball.

So, I think we need to start Ricardo (even if his hands are suspect) b/c his speed and suddenness backed the defense off and in instances in which he didn't win he ran 3 or 4 clear out routes that allowed Higgins to run uncovered for a reception.

I'd also use Coates(if healthy) and Davis' speed threat vertically to open it up underneath.

Higgins is a true/solid WR4 or WR5 on a good team but he'll always have problems separating and doesn't possess the quickness required to uncover quickly in the slot to be a go to WR3/slot like a Landry.

At this point, I'd start Kasen Williams and Ricardo Louis on the boundary....with Kenny Britt and Higgins as possession slots on comeback routes and L-routes in third and short situations.

However, in 3 and 7 plus situations I'd bring Coates or Davis in as the slot WR that has the ability to uncover quickly or clear it out for a TE to catch it at the sticks for a first down.

I'll put it this way, if we lose to Indy an 0-16 record becomes a real possibility. I also repeat that Kizer is a career backup QB at best, but the light at the end of the tunnel, could be that Rosen will be our starting QB next year, a legitimate franchise QB.

I do not even want to contemplate what happens if we do not get a franchise QB out of the 2018 draft, we could be looking at at least a 20 spell in the dessert, before we ever see the promised land.

Where are you Wentz???

11 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I'll put it this way, if we lose to Indy an 0-16 record becomes a real possibility. I also repeat that Kizer is a career backup QB at best, but the light at the end of the tunnel, could be that Rosen will be our starting QB next year, a legitimate franchise QB.

I do not even want to contemplate what happens if we do not get a franchise QB out of the 2018 draft, we could be looking at at least a 20 spell in the dessert, before we ever see the promised land.

Where are you Wentz???

Seriously, we could make a drinking game out of what you post on every post:

1. Use the words "career backup" when describing Kizer, usually followed by the words "at best".

2. Complain about us not having Wentz

3. Mention Rosen, usually followed by the words "legitimate" and "franchise QB".

WOW!!! Superb effort on the OP. Kind of wasted on the Colts though. @Mind Character 

TBH, I think the one flaw is your assertion that the Browns are going to run anything against the Colts. We are currently allowing a 2.5 ypc avg through 2 games (1st or 2nd in the NFL depending on who you listen to). Admittedly one of those was to Kerwynn Williams (9-22) and Chris Johnson (11-44) but the other one was to Todd Gurley (19-40). Also we only allowed 146 yards rushing in the first 2 games Rams (63) and Cards (83).

3 former Browns players will face off against their former team. Jabaal Sheard, Barkevious Mingo and Pierre Desir. While 2 former Colts exist on the Browns roster T Zach Banner and T.Y. McGill (love him BTW) both final cutdown waiver claims. Pierre Desir was also a waiver pickup by us from Seattle.

DT T.Y. McGill is one of my favorite players. When he gets a sack he does the stomach run celebration dance. So good hope you got a chance to see it if you haven’t already. 

DE Jhaustin Thomas on your practice squad was with us most of training camp. He had a couple splash plays in the preseason but got lost in the numbers game on the DL (same for McGill).

OL Zach Banner is just raw. I think he is 2 years away from being ready to play regularly. He is the son of former NFL OL Lincoln Kennedy he has had no relationship with his biological father. 

Sheard was ho hum against the Rams but was absolutely wrecking the Cardinals. If he didn’t make a play himself he positioned others to make plays. Mingo is primarily special teams and Desir hasn’t really made a noticeable impact for us. 

I beieve it will be a close game and I’m not ready to say who will win until I know who is and isn’t playing.

QB Luck and C Ryan Kelly haven’t practiced yet and CB Vontae Davis finally started to practice but it’s not certain for him as to if he plays this week. ILB Antonio Morrison also hasn’t practiced yet since a week 1 injury. 

Good Luck guys. Winner get a Top 10 draft pick, loser gets a top 3 draft pick 

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Seriously, we could make a drinking game out of what you post on every post:

1. Use the words "career backup" when describing Kizer, usually followed by the words "at best".

2. Complain about us not having Wentz

3. Mention Rosen, usually followed by the words "legitimate" and "franchise QB".

You're forgetting the triple question mark ???

1 hour ago, stallyns said:

WOW!!! Superb effort on the OP. Kind of wasted on the Colts though. @Mind Character 

TBH, I think the one flaw is your assertion that the Browns are going to run anything against the Colts. We are currently allowing a 2.5 ypc avg through 2 games (1st or 2nd in the NFL depending on who you listen to). Admittedly one of those was to Kerwynn Williams (9-22) and Chris Johnson (11-44) but the other one was to Todd Gurley (19-40). Also we only allowed 146 yards rushing in the first 2 games Rams (63) and Cards (83).

3 former Browns players will face off against their former team. Jabaal Sheard, Barkevious Mingo and Pierre Desir. While 2 former Colts exist on the Browns roster T Zach Banner and T.Y. McGill (love him BTW) both final cutdown waiver claims. Pierre Desir was also a waiver pickup by us from Seattle.

DT T.Y. McGill is one of my favorite players. When he gets a sack he does the stomach run celebration dance. So good hope you got a chance to see it if you haven’t already. 

DE Jhaustin Thomas on your practice squad was with us most of training camp. He had a couple splash plays in the preseason but got lost in the numbers game on the DL (same for McGill).

OL Zach Banner is just raw. I think he is 2 years away from being ready to play regularly. He is the son of former NFL OL Lincoln Kennedy he has had no relationship with his biological father. 

Sheard was ho hum against the Rams but was absolutely wrecking the Cardinals. If he didn’t make a play himself he positioned others to make plays. Mingo is primarily special teams and Desir hasn’t really made a noticeable impact for us. 

I beieve it will be a close game and I’m not ready to say who will win until I know who is and isn’t playing.

QB Luck and C Ryan Kelly haven’t practiced yet and CB Vontae Davis finally started to practice but it’s not certain for him as to if he plays this week. ILB Antonio Morrison also hasn’t practiced yet since a week 1 injury. 

Good Luck guys. Winner get a Top 10 draft pick, loser gets a top 3 draft pick 

Thanks for the insight...appreciate it...

Yeah, most of my superlatives about us running on the Colts has to do with more hope than evidence that the big money FA OLineman and big OL talent finally putting forth a dominating performance. I'll admit...I just have to believe (for my sanity) at some point Joe Thomas, Joel Bitonio, JC Tretter, & Kevin Zeitler will make an impact...

Even though I have us winning I'm fearful of TY and Doyle getting frisky on us...and could see momentum swing your way if Jabaal Sheard has his way with our RT Shon Coleman...

Questions: 1. Are you all actively hoping the team tanks so you can finally acquire the draft assets to surround Luck with talent?

2. At this point, do you think they sit Luck the whole year?.

3. What are your thoughts on Brissett?

4. Did Banner get cut b/c of any major struggles in practice, attitude issues, or preseason wiffs that you can recall? (Just seems weird to cut a 4th round Tackle), Or was it more the case that they really thought they'd sneak him onto the practice squad?

35 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Questions: 1. Are you all actively hoping the team tanks so you can finally acquire the draft assets to surround Luck with talent?

2. At this point, do you think they sit Luck the whole year?.

3. What are your thoughts on Brissett?

4. Did Banner get cut b/c of any major struggles in practice, attitude issues, or preseason wiffs that you can recall? (Just seems weird to cut a 4th round Tackle), Or was it more the case that they really thought they'd sneak him onto the practice squad?

1. No, I’m not. I haven’t seen anyone actively cheering for it. Just a lot of people that realize it’s a rebuild despite multiple claims that it isn’t. Before the season I said we were at best going to go 9-7 with Luck and at best 7-9 without him. That was before Vontae Davis and Ryan Kelly went down. 

2. I said at the beginning of training camp that I’m seeing shades of 2011. The big difference is that after TC started in 2011 Manning had an unexpected additional neck surgery. He should have been put on IR right then and there. But the optics were so great that the organization left him on the active roster for the whole season. I do think Irsay Inc. thought Luck would be ready to start throwing by training camp but he realistically starting throwing tennis balls one week prior. To answer the question though, I think he plays but I don’t know when that will be.

3. Brissett is actually better then I’d imagined. I was not expecting him to have gotten primed enough on the offense to start 15 Days (9 total practices not all first team reps) after being acquired. He has a lot of learning to do and is still getting acclimated. His numbers aren’t great but they are decent. He is still looking for that first career TD pass (as a Colt)

4. I think his being cut was more to do with some players who played better then expected and injuries in the interior that caused us to carry more IOL. Cs Ryan Kelly  and Brian Schwenke missed a lot of time to injuries and Gs Jack Mewhort and Joe Haeg were in and out on snap counts so much that UDFA C Dayshawn Bond won the starting C job and Jeremy Vujnovich a fourth year G who spent 2 seasons on the Packer’s PS ended up winning the LG job. We cut Schwenke and Banner to bring in a G/C off waivers from San Fran (Ian Silberman)  who ended up with a back injury somewhere in the process. I do think the prevailing thought was to get Banner on the PS squad and to resign Schwenke but Cleveland and Tennessee stepped in on both. There was talk the Colts were going to put Kelly on IR-return to bring back Schwenke. 

I finally got around to watching the All22 of the Ravens game without being totally sauced up...

...And I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a WR group...

..And to be honest..I don't think Kizer's going to have a chance to look competent unless we were able to bring another quality playmaker in.

I don't feel like doing a gif mashup analysis right now, but simply put when Kizer reached the top of his drop, I'd say more than 90% of the time the WRs weren't getting open.

But more alarming is HOW they're not getting open...Ricardo, Britt, Coates, and even Higgins in snaps don't know how to run any separation routes...they look like robots out there...they run their routes directly into the defender, don't run into open spaces, don't give head fakes, telegraph the routes, don't use proper hand fighting to get on top of the receiver, don't know how to stack the DB (especially in Ricardo and Higgins case)...

I mean they seriously look remedial...I was sick to my stomach watching them run routes into defenders and turn and look at Deshone as if he's suppose to throw to them...RUN ACROSS THE DEFENDERS FACE.....SETTLE INTO THE ZONE....

They're just so so bad...

I was really really worried about this because now Deshone's pass picture at the top of his drop has to be one of the worst passing snapshots a QB could ever see...

It's been 2 weeks of the same..and I'm afraid if it continues it will regress Kizer's natural passing rhythm and patience as he is waiting so long for guys to come open.

He has his own mistakes that he needs to improve and own up to, but the WRs are even worse than we thought when really watching their routes...I mean they don't even have urgency about them...

I don't think I can stomach another week of the All22 view of the WR... I'm not opposed to 2 TE sets to give Kizer a chance at someone that can uncover quickly...

8 minutes ago, stallyns said:

1. No, I’m not. I haven’t seen anyone actively cheering for it. Just a lot of people that realize it’s a rebuild despite multiple claims that it isn’t. Before the season I said we were at best going to go 9-7 with Luck and at best 7-9 without him. That was before Vontae Davis and Ryan Kelly went down. 

2. I said at the beginning of training camp that I’m seeing shades of 2011. The big difference is that after TC started in 2011 Manning had an unexpected additional neck surgery. He should have been put on IR right then and there. But the optics were so great that the organization left him on the active roster for the whole season. I do think Irsay Inc. thought Luck would be ready to start throwing by training camp but he realistically starting throwing tennis balls one week prior. To answer the question though, I think he plays but I don’t know when that will be.

3. Brissett is actually better then I’d imagined. I was not expecting him to have gotten primed enough on the offense to start 15 Days (9 total practices not all first team reps) after being acquired. He has a lot of learning to do and is still getting acclimated. His numbers aren’t great but they are decent. He is still looking for that first career TD pass (as a Colt)

4. I think his being cut was more to do with some players who played better then expected and injuries in the interior that caused us to carry more IOL. Cs Ryan Kelly  and Brian Schwenke missed a lot of time to injuries and Gs Jack Mewhort and Joe Haeg were in and out on snap counts so much that UDFA C Dayshawn Bond won the starting C job and Jeremy Vujnovich a fourth year G who spent 2 seasons on the Packer’s PS ended up winning the LG job. We cut Schwenke and Banner to bring in a G/C off waivers from San Fran (Ian Silberman)  who ended up with a back injury somewhere in the process. I do think the prevailing thought was to get Banner on the PS squad and to resign Schwenke but Cleveland and Tennessee stepped in on both. There was talk the Colts were going to put Kelly on IR-return to bring back Schwenke. 

Good good Stuff...

Certainly paints a clearer picture on the internal dynamics with the Colts that are hard to understand from the outside looking in.

Love Jack Mewhort (the player and person) and hope he can stay healthy and perform for you all.

Adds a level of understanding to the Banner cut that has been missed over on our side of the pond..

Injuries have been rough for you all...wishing you all positive vibes except for when you play us...b/c we need the Colts to get their act together in order to beat the Texans twice and preserve our extra 1st round pick we got from them.

So, in general we're pulling for the Colts all year...

Reading a lot of good stuff on our WR situation. I agree. Our WRs have been not doing Kizer any favors. My biggest question is why isn't Hue designing plays to get the ball out of his hands on passing plays super quick?!?! Like have Duke out in the flat or a TE run a delayed dump route? Are they running these and I'm missing something? It makes sense to me to give Kizer an outlet instead of him taking a sack for holding the ball too long. 

Lastly I understand we cannot run the ball well out of the shotgun. But why not try running the ball more in general? Nothing opens up the passing lanes like an RB running for 3-5 yards a carry. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

3 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Reading a lot of good stuff on our WR situation. I agree. Our WRs have been not doing Kizer any favors. My biggest question is why isn't Hue designing plays to get the ball out of his hands on passing plays super quick?!?! Like have Duke out in the flat or a TE run a delayed dump route? Are they running these and I'm missing something? It makes sense to me to give Kizer an outlet instead of him taking a sack for holding the ball too long. 

Lastly I understand we cannot run the ball well out of the shotgun. But why not try running the ball more in general? Nothing opens up the passing lanes like an RB running for 3-5 yards a carry. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

If we wanted an accurate QB who completes 2/3 of his passes but doesn't go deep we had him last year.

Archived