In-Depth Look at Our Depth, Now with Tom

With Assistant GM Tom Brady on board now, our offseason is about to ramp up. There's been plenty of talk of Tom wanting roster and scheme input in who he chooses, and I think Jason and Bruce gave it to him to help get it here. 

With ~$24 million in cap space left after our signings so far and draft pick holds, we still have a few starting positions to fill..I can imagine Tom would like some protection up front and a RB that fits the style he's used to. 

Looking at our depth chart (at the bottom of this post), we have two big holes at the moment:
starting RT to replace Dotson
starting DE if we don't retain Suh

I think it comes down to a OT or DE for our 1st round pick now, I think we're down to these prospects:
  1. Andrew Thomas
  2. Javon Kinlaw
  3. Tristan Wirfs
  4. Derrick Brown
  5. Jedrick Willis
  6. Mekhi Becton
Other priorities would be: 
backup QB
RB to push for the starting spot
vet WR to compete with Watson/Miller

OL depth all over
DL depth
ILB depth
vet outside CB depth behind Davis/Dean
potentially a starting Safety to compete with Whitehead/Edwards/Dixon

For our 2nd and on, probably go BPA to fill depth and find a potential starter at RB, S, OL, DL, ILB, and a QBOTF

For the rest of Free Agency, we'll probably see one more signing over $5m and the rest filling out the roster with smaller contracts

Brady will likely want a James White/Rex Burkhead/Dion Lewis type RB.. it just so happens Dion Lewis is available now. Chris Thompson seems like a player Brady would like too. Plenty of options to look at in FA really.. Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde, Devonta Freeman, etc. I think Melvin Gordon is too expensive, but hey a month ago I didnt think we'd have Brady or a global epidemic right now. 

Still available at tackle is headlined by Jason Peters and Andrew Whitworth at over 35 years old, and 30+ guys like Cordy Glenn and Glenn Robinson.. probably best to go with the draft here with all the top tackle talent available. 

Options at DE include by Suh, Derek Wolfe, Timmy Jernigan, Zach Kerr, and quite a few more.. I think its more likely we find our starter through FA here. Adding Kinlaw next to Vea would be hard to pass up though. 

I see us drafting a developmental EDGE to eventually take over for JPP. Anthony Nelson seems like he'll be a solid #3 guy but we'll need a starter there eventually. 

Depth Chart from players currently under contract:

QB
Tom Brady
Ryan Griffin

RB
Ronald Jones II
Dare Ogunbowale
TJ Logan
Aca'Cedric Ware

WR
Mike Evans
Justin Watson
Jaydon Mickens

WR
Chris Godwin
Scotty Miller
Cyril Grayson
Spencer Schnell

TE
OJ Howard
Cameron Brate
Tanner Hudson
Antony Auclair
Jordan Legett
Codey McElroy
LT
Donovan Smith
Brad Seaton

LG
Ali Marpet
Zack Bailey

C
Ryan Jensen
Anthony Fabiano

RG
Alex Cappa
Aaron Stinnie

RT

DEFENSE

DE
William Gholston

NT
Vita Vea

DE
Jeremiah Ledbetter

EDGE
Shaquill Barrett
Anthony Nelson
Kahzin Daniels

ILB
Devin White
Noah Dawkins
Quinton Bell
Jack Cichy

ILB
Lavonte Davide

Kendell Beckwith

EDGE
Jason Pierre-Paul
Pat O'Connor

CB
Jamel Dean

John Franklin

FS
Jordan Whitehead

Herb Miller
Justin Evans

SS
Mike Edwards
D'Cota Dixon

CB
Carlton Davis
Mazzi Wilkins
Deiondre' Hall

Nickel
Sean Murphy-Bunting
MJ Stewart

K
Matt Gay

P
Bradley Pinion

LS
Zach Triner

• Like 2

We will be lucky to get one of the top 4 Tackles. And if we do honestly best bet is to trade down and just add depth. RB, OL, WR is pretty deep this year so we should not be reaching for projects. 

We need veteran presence in the secondary. Suh replacement and JPP replacement should be drafted. 

• Like 3