What should we do to fill out QB for 2020+?

MikeT14

There's plenty of ways to go about this, but put your cards on the table with what you want to do. Do you go the route of bringing in Cam, or Flacco, or Jameis, etc to compete with Dwayne? Find a capable backup that's ready to go? Or just get guys to develop? List of what's out there:

Jameis Winston (26)

Drew Stanton (35)

Trevor Siemian (28)

Mike Glennon (30)

Brett Hundley (26)

Blaine Gabbert (30)

Matt Moore (35)

Joe Webb (33)

Blake Bortles (27)

Brandon Allen (27)

Geno Smith (29)

David Fales (29)

... not too much on the FA front.

Maybe available by trade:

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Jacoby Brissett

Draftable guys with our picks:

Jake Fromm

Jacob Eason

Jalen Hurts

James Morgan

Steven Montez

Nate Stanley

Brian Lewerke

Cole McDonald

Shea Patterson

Mason Fine

Anthony Gordon

Kelly Bryant

15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm thinking Bortles to backup and maybe go after a guy like McDonald or Gordon. That said, I am intrigued by developing Jalen Hurts - and I am sure I am in the minority on that.

You are not. I’m a big fan of Hurts. 

• Like 2

I like Hurts as well but getting him in the draft with no 2nd rd Pick and QB not being the top priority, might be hard to select him. 

For me as free agent possibilities go I think Matt Moore might be a pretty good QB2. Wouldn’t hurt to have a veteran to be there. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I think to get Hurts we would need to use the 3rd rounder. Someone would take the shot.

Agreed and I think it’s more important to draft some good talent at other positions to develop. It makes more sense to sign a vet IMO.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Agreed and I think it’s more important to draft some good talent at other positions to develop. It makes more sense to sign a vet IMO.

I was thinking both. We need three. Someone for now and someone to develop.

Give me PJ Walker from the XFL.I don't want a Cam or Jamies type guy that going to come in and it be a mind bender for Haskins fighting for his Job and not getting all the reps in Camp.Walker seemed Competitive enough that giving him 2nd teams reps he going to push Haskins to work harder.Alex is still most likely be in the QB room so he's all the Vet mind we need there and have two QB coaches in Turner and Zampeeze to work with Haskins as well.

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I was thinking both. We need three. Someone for now and someone to develop.

I don’t know, seems like an either or to me. Imo Haskins is the QB to develop, therefore you sign a vet to be his back up. We can draft a QB late or as an udfa for the practice squad to develop as a long term back up if we want.

10 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Give me PJ Walker from the XFL.I don't want a Cam or Jamies type guy that going to come in and it be a mind bender for Haskins fighting for his Job and not getting all the reps in Camp.Walker seemed Competitive enough that giving him 2nd teams reps he going to push Haskins to work harder.Alex is still most likely be in the QB room so he's all the Vet mind we need there and have two QB coaches in Turner and Zampeeze to work with Haskins as well.

That’s a good point. I forgot about him, I’d like to have him or Ta’Amu from St. Louis.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know, seems like an either or to me. Imo Haskins is the QB to develop, therefore you sign a vet to be his back up. We can draft a QB late or as an udfa for the practice squad to develop as a long term back up if we want.

That's ... pretty much exactly what I said. 

53 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm thinking Bortles to backup and maybe go after a guy like McDonald or Gordon. That said, I am intrigued by developing Jalen Hurts - and I am sure I am in the minority on that.

I added the Hurts possibility because I like him.