Rams sign Leonard Floyd - 1 yr 10 mil

RamRod

9 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

10 Mil seems a little steep for an underperforming player. But I actually do like the signing. He’s obviously a talented player being a top 10 draft pick and he’s got familiarity with Staley. Gotta like the potential here. 

Like I said in the News Forum, I don't think it was "just" Floyd that was pushing for a 1-year deal, I think it was us too (probably why we had to fully guarantee it; because I know the Giants, among others, were sniffing around him with potential multi-year deals).  He's a short-term finger in the dike to plug the hole left by Fowler while we either continue to develop the guys on the roster behind him and Clay, which may (I'd argue "likely will") include drafting someone this year, and otherwise buys us time until we're in a position where we have high draft assets to commit to the position.  Mack was the final piece of the Chicago defense that was added after they'd already brought in Trevathan, draft Roquan, drafted Eddie Jackson, brought in Fuller, etc.  And they did that trade post-draft where they were basically committing future draft picks (albeit 1st rounders) to that effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bertuzzi said:

I really like this signing, wish it was a bit longer but oh well.

Agreed, mostly to spread out that cap hit. But I get it from both sides. Before seeing how he preforms for us, he is already a priority for me to re-sign next year. 

As far as where he fits, I wouldn’t carve his name in stone for OLB. Some saw his skill set as a better fit as that rangy ILB, where he excelled as a playmaker at Georgia

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Agreed, mostly to spread out that cap hit. But I get it from both sides. Before seeing how he preforms for us, he is already a priority for me to re-sign next year. 

As far as where he fits, I wouldn’t carve his name in stone for OLB. Some saw his skill set as a better fit as that rangy ILB, where he excelled as a playmaker at Georgia

ILB would be cool. Specially considering he has size and speed.. 

16 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I really like this signing. Wonder how much Clowney is going for? Maybe kick the tires on him as well?

I think they want to hold onto our comp picks, which kind of sucks, because I'd love to see Clowney next to Donald.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think they want to hold onto our comp picks, which kind of sucks, because I'd love to see Clowney next to Donald.

I’m all for comp picks but when you get a guy like Clowney next to Donald with Ramsey in the back, it’s almost a no brainer...for the right price of course 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

I’m all for comp picks but when you get a guy like Clowney next to Donald with Ramsey in the back, it’s almost a no brainer...for the right price of course 

Yeah but so much money invested in 3 guys! If one were to get injured we’ll be efffed. 

Per @QBsMVP 

Stats from 2018 + 2019:

Leonard Floyd: 7 sacks, 49 pressures, 14 QB knockdowns, 33 QB hits, 12 TFL's, 87 tackles

Dante Fowler: 15.5 sacks, 59 pressures, 7 QB knockdowns, 22 QB hits, 21 TFL's, 88 tackles

Not very dissimilar. Fowler completed more of his rushes.

Floyd is a good player, who just isn’t a good pass rusher.

He is good in coverage and against the run. 

His 1 on 1 pass rush is largely non-existent. The Bears schemed him some rush success with stunts and moving him around, he just never developed. Mack put a spotlight on it because Floyd was 1 on 1 a ton. 

He would seem best as a SAM backer in a 3-4, reminds me a lot of Manny Lawson from the 49ers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Floyd is a good player, who just isn’t a good pass rusher.

He is good in coverage and against the run.

This is exactly why I wouldnt count him out of being an Inside LB for us, especially matching up perfectly with the traits needed in our new scheme.

There are some intriguing Pass Rushers that should be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft, plus we can actually see what we have in the youngsters on the roster 

• Like 1