Rams sign Leonard Floyd

Gannon12

3 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

This sounds like a case of misremembering:

Fowler - 14 sacks in 39 games

Floyd - 18.5 sacks in 54 games

Also worth noting that 11.5 of Floyds sacks came before Mack - while Fowler has only ever played with an elite DL. If you dive into it more, Floyd versus Fowler (before the Rams) skews toward Floyd pretty easily.

There is no case of misremembering. This is YOU trying to convince yourself that Floyd is better than Fowler. And I've already said, if you believe this move is great and you love it, then good for you! You don't have to convince me anything. Floyd has given very little in the pass rush department the last couple of years and for majority of his career. if you think Donald be the difference of turning him into a subpar pass rusher to a good one? Then I guess we will have to wait and see. Personally? I don't see it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Floyd also wasn't asked to do the same things that Fowler was.  It's not a total apples to oranges comparison but it's like comparing sweet apples and sour apples.  The Rams aren't running the same scheme they were last season; Floyd won't be tasked with all the same things Fowler was.  And a lot of people outside (and even inside) the Rams fanbase (and probably Chicago's and Denver's) aren't aware of what scheme the Rams are going to be running; hell they probably think we're still running a straight up 3-4, much less a Phillips-Burroughs 3-4 (we're not).  Floyd's not Aldon Smith (nor will he be tasked to be), but he's quite capable of being Ahmad Brooks.

Okay, I certainty won't discredit his ability to play the run. And if he is going to be a Brooks type, then who will be taking over the Smith role? Who, if anyone will be generating pressure from the edge? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

There is no case of misremembering. This is YOU trying to convince yourself that Floyd is better than Fowler. And I've already said, if you believe this move is great and you love it, then good for you! You don't have to convince me anything. Floyd has given very little in the pass rush department the last couple of years and for majority of his career. if you think Donald be the difference of turning him into a subpar pass rusher to a good one? Then I guess we will have to wait and see. Personally? I don't see it. 

Fowler gave very little in the pass rush department as well. He was called a major bust when we signed him we were told how horrible a signing it was. Then he played behind Aaron Donald for two years and cleaned up AD's pressure more than he created for himself. Look at his sack numbers for us all you want but remember there were many he created himself. I'm not jumping for joy at signing Floyd. But to claim this is a major drop off is a bit misleading as neither Floyd or Fowler are good at generating a pass rush. Playing behind AD all you have to do is tackle a guy that runs into you as he's running away from #99. This makes total sense too as Fowler signing will get us a 3rd round comp pick last year and Floyd was cut so won't affect the formula. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

In fairness, it's quite clear to see no one is in love with this move. It's just a sensible one considering our limitations and options. We have a new defensive coordinator who highly rated him and worked with him before. If anyone was in love with this move then he wouldn't have been given a $10m prove it deal. 

I can see how it works, but also the red flags. As with anything, it will come out in the wash - I personally predict that he doesn't do enough to re-sign in 2021 but without disgracing himself or us. 

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

Fowler gave very little in the pass rush department as well. He was called a major bust when we signed him we were told how horrible a signing it was. Then he played behind Aaron Donald for two years and cleaned up AD's pressure more than he created for himself. Look at his sack numbers for us all you want but remember there were many he created himself. I'm not jumping for joy at signing Floyd. But to claim this is a major drop off is a bit misleading as neither Floyd or Fowler are good at generating a pass rush. Playing behind AD all you have to do is tackle a guy that runs into you as he's running away from #99. This makes total sense too as Fowler signing will get us a 3rd round comp pick last year and Floyd was cut so won't affect the formula. 

I don't mind the Rams not giving Fowler a big deal. That's fine if you didn't want to give him that type of deal and you will be getting a compensation pick next year. So no problem there. Just don't get the Floyd being the same type of player as Fowler. But if his role is going to be different and isn't going to be relied to be the main edge rusher, then it can work. But I'm just curious WHO will be that guy for the Rams? That's all, but no need to continue with this as we will see it all unfold soon enough. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, I certainty won't discredit his ability to play the run. And if he is going to be a Brooks type, then who will be taking over the Smith role? Who, if anyone will be generating pressure from the edge? 

Notice how the Bears defense was highly effective under Fangio even before they acquired Mack - the dominant EDGE was the cherry on top that they added after the other components that made them able to effectively able to run Vic's scheme (which was based more off of not being able to be predictable from pre-snap reads and scenarios - i.e. very difficult to audible against). 

Look, you're going to find no bigger Justin Smith fan than me and he was never on any team I ever supported, I just loved the guy.  But it goes without saying that Justin Smith was no Aaron Donald.  If Donald is playing the Smith role among the downed-DL it's reasonable to expect an uptick in production over what Smith was able to put up in the role.  Since what we're talking about here is not a zero-sum game, that alleviates the need for the guy opposite Floyd (in the Smith role) to be "Aldon Smith."  That doesn't mean you don't explore whatever avenues are available to you to get a guy of that quality in that spot, but they don't have to be in order for you to have a well-functioning defense with that particular scheme.  Can that guy be Clay Matthews?  In a limited capacity, and as a stop-gap, probably.  The Rams will still very likely draft an edge-rusher (and visits with guys like Josh Uche and Bradley Annae suggest exactly that).  Joe Barry is not a good developer of pass-rushers; the guy rode the coattails of Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli, and later Pete Carroll (at USC) to a string of future hires, and to people believing he knew how to develop pass-rushers.  So there's logical reason to believe (or at least have hope) that Staley is an upgrade in that department (development) of other young guys already on the roster (Ebukam, Okoronkwo, Polite) to turn a corner.

If I'm being honest, I don't expect Floyd to be on the Rams roster longer than this season unless he either explodes in a manner we really haven't seen him do previously in his career or becomes amenable to an extremely team-friendly deal to stay.  But he's a comfortable stop-gap that plugs a hole.  I don't think it was just Floyd that was driving forced behind this being only a 1-year contract, I think the Rams were very much amenable to that as well.

• Like 2

Floyd is a good player, but he's not a good pass rusher, so hopefully he gets used more like an ILB or traditional off the ball linebacker.  If he's spending most of his snaps rushing the passer, he's not going to be worth the money, but he is extremely athletic and great in pass coverage and stopping the run.  I wish him luck.

• Like 3

That’s a lot of money tbh. But I’m okay with it, always been a fan of long athletic guys! Yes no pause.. Fills a need but at that price range I would rather go in for Clowney. Oh well he’ll have a monster year and we’ll get a sick comp. 

Clay Matthews was having a career year before going down to injury. Fowler just got paid. Aaron Donald is a god and will get me paid as well if I played next to him. All comp pick gems for Les. 

14 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

That’s a lot of money tbh. But I’m okay with it, always been a fan of long athletic guys! Yes no pause.. Fills a need but at that price range I would rather go in for Clowney. Oh well he’ll have a monster year and we’ll get a sick comp. 

Clay Matthews was having a career year before going down to injury. Fowler just got paid. Aaron Donald is a god and will get me paid as well if I played next to him. All comp pick gems for Les. 

What are you thinking, 3-13 for the Rams in 2020?

• Like 1