Raiders deal for CB Eli Apple falls through; still a FA

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Unfortunately from what I saw last year and I was lucky enough to see a bunch of Saints games, he’s not as good as the guys we had. PI waiting to happen, especially if he dons the silver and black.......not a fan of this signing at all.

Agree here Darbsk, Eli Apple is not serviceable. He’s not even better than Lawson who is a solid Dime Corner and can be a decent starter if an injury occurs. I don’t understand the signing. If we draft a corner, Apple would be our CB5 behind that corner, Mullen, Joyner, and Lawson. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agree here Darbsk, Eli Apple is not serviceable. He’s not even better than Lawson who is a solid Dime Corner and can be a decent starter if an injury occurs. I don’t understand the signing. If we draft a corner, Apple would be our CB5 behind that corner, Mullen, Joyner, and Lawson. 

Hopefully we'll add a reasonably high draft pick to really boost that group, I think we're on a similar page with guys we like in the draft, Jaylon Johnson, Terrell or Arnette I really like, though Arnette probably projects more to slot. Dantzler too but not sure he has the speed against the very fastest receivers. I'm really interested to see if Isaiah Johnson can bring anything to the party.

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Hopefully we'll add a reasonably high draft pick to really boost that group, I think we're on a similar page with guys we like in the draft, Jaylon Johnson, Terrell or Arnette I really like, though Arnette probably projects more to slot. Dantzler too but not sure he has the speed against the very fastest receivers. I'm really interested to see if Isaiah Johnson can bring anything to the party.

Agree here, Arnette is a little small and Dantzler is just too slow, he’s really being propped up by PFF who only cares about coverage results, and not attributes. Should care about both. 

I’m all aboard the Jaylon Johnson train if we can somehow land him. AJ Terrell is also similar to Mullen from last year, I’m sure Mayock will have his eye on him. Although I’m not a big fan of Terrell... but he’d be better than Apple/Lawson starting, no doubt in my mind. 

• Like 1

He was a very frustrating player to watch.  Has the ideal size, length and athleticism.  Great measurables.  However, zero awareness and instincts.  Has no idea when the ball is in the air.  Never gets his head around.  Always grabbing and holding. 

I'd be curious if he can resurrect his career as a FS where he's not playing with his back to the QB as much.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Is it just me or did the Raiders just sign mostly all back up level players in 2020 FA at starter prices?  

I think that’s kind of fair and in a way accurate and in many ways what we need. I would say that Littleton is an exemption to that. Kwiatkoski comes in as an immediate starter and is a massive upgrade as we have had the worst LB corps in the NFL for years. Collins and Nassib are going to be in the rotation and will get as many snaps as the other presumptive starters. Apple, Heath and Witten are brought in for depth.

We have a young nucleus, some already with potential to be our main guys. What we needed was some ‘glue’ types. Good pros on and off the field. Seems clear to me that was the plan and while I agree some were overpays, I think it will pay off. At least I hope so!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Is it just me or did the Raiders just sign mostly all back up level players in 2020 FA at starter prices?  

Ironically, I think our big ticket FA Littleton is probably the best value FA thus far. You wouldn’t be wrong in most guys are depth with only Littleton and Kwiatkowski probably expected to be unquestioned starters. Nassib I could see getting some decent snaps in a rotation and Collins is probably expected to compete to start though Ill be honest and say I don’t know that much about him. Heath, Witten and Apple are all just depth I hope!

• Like 1

Package deal, the Raiders had to also sign his Mamma as a "special consultant" to Gruden.

Eli Apple’s brother says mother Annie is the real ‘cancer’

December 28, 2017

Eli Apple mom

Eli Apple’s mother Annie endeared herself to fans with her outspoken personality and sense of humor during the NFL Draft two years ago, and she has been a very important figure in the cornerback’s life. According to Apple’s brother, Dane Blackson, that is why Eli is having so many issues with the New York Giants.

In an interview with TMZ this week, Blackson — who is Apple’s half-brother and shares the same mother — said Annie has created a ton of problems for Apple and is disliked by everyone in the former Ohio State star’s inner circle.

“Everybody’s saying he has family issues or there’s family members that he has to cut off. Nobody can just come right out and be like, ‘Yo, it’s his f—ing mom.’ It’s a damn shame,” Blackson said. “Eli’s agents, his financial team, they don’t like Annie. Nobody likes Annie.

“I feel like when people say Eli’s like a cancer … I just think of mom when people say those words and use those types of adjectives.”

Annie Apple has been active on Twitter and even landed a job with ESPN after the 2016 NFL Draft. She was an outspoken critic of the Giants over their handling of the Josh Brown domestic violence situation, and she accused the team of trying to silence her son.

“I feel like he never had a fair shot. I mean, a lot of this s

• 2 weeks later...