Raiders deal with CB Eli Apple falls through; still a FA

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

The Raiders Offense is pretty good? Especially the games when Carr decides to actually shows up. Chargers held the Chiefs to their two worst games of the season, at least Mahomes. And you can take a look at their roster, it’s completely stacked top to bottom. 

Do you know LA is dead last in the NFL with a -17 turnover.

The trend is for vets to get fully guaranteed salaries on 1yr deals.  It gives them at least a reasonable amount of insurance.  Why would they sign a deal as a desirable FA with several offers and risk getting cut in camp (salary plays a role in the decision) and walk away with only some per diem checks and now be in FA market where there lucky to get a 1yr vet minimum deal?

the guarenteed 1yr deals is just something we gotta accept.  It’s going to be happening for all teams.

52 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Fully guaranteed whoa

Cash flow is a problem?  We haven’t paid out any big money in several years.  Maybe we’re concerned about the season happening and don’t want to pay roster bonuses and signing bonuses?  That’s the only explanation I can think of.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:29 AM, Bitty 2.0 said:

How are they a top-five defense if the Raiders  put 20+ points on them twice last year?

James was injured.  Our OTs can actually take on good DEs (Glorious!!! Trent is a beast!!!  Miller WHAT!!!).  Josh Jacobs and our OL can actually make plays (Remember that run by Jacobs at the end of the game to ICE IT!).  But like others have said, Rivers is washed up.  He threw almost 5-6 picks against us one game (shout out to Erik Harris).  The other game he was a non-factor.  It's a team game, their offense let them down, not their defense.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Cash flow is a problem?  We haven’t paid out any big money in several years.  Maybe we’re concerned about the season happening and don’t want to pay roster bonuses and signing bonuses?  That’s the only explanation I can think of.

This has nothing to do with the upcoming season. It's been said over and over again that mark is strapped. We haven't been giving out big bonuses for a while. They are far and between. Look  at AB, Tyrell Williams, cory Littleton and Trent brown signing bonuses last year or lack their of. Mark dont have the money to give these guys bonuses. Its incentives and workout bonuses until we are a few years into Vegas or mark sells the teams. 

Mack got a 34 million dollar signing bonus. It really was no way we was ever signing him back. 

55 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

This has nothing to do with the upcoming season. It's been said over and over again that mark is strapped. We haven't been giving out big bonuses for a while. They are far and between. Look  at AB, Tyrell Williams, cory Littleton and Trent brown signing bonuses last year or lack their of. Mark dont have the money to give these guys bonuses. Its incentives and workout bonuses until we are a few years into Vegas or mark sells the teams. 

Mack got a 34 million dollar signing bonus. It really was no way we was ever signing him back. 

I agree with all of what You said but maybe I didn’t explain tales correctly.

i get not giving huge SB to high prices FA.  But the comment was made in reference to 1yr deals like Apple not getting a signing bonus or roster bonus (which happens just like 5 days after the deals done) due to cash flow issues.  And instead we’re going with guaranteed salary which gets paid out in game checks.

We’re not talking about huge Mack like payments which need to go into escrow.  Those deals are for long term contracts.  I’m talking about the 1yr Contracts.  Do we really have cash flow Issues soooo bad that we need ticket sales to pay the players?  It just can’t be that bad.

i think it was just written in a confusing way and the guy meant to say we’re not spreading money out into the future via SB’s and using the pay as you go model.

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I agree with all of what You said but maybe I didn’t explain tales correctly.

i get not giving huge SB to high prices FA.  But the comment was made in reference to 1yr deals like Apple not getting a signing bonus or roster bonus (which happens just like 5 days after the deals done) due to cash flow issues.  And instead we’re going with guaranteed salary which gets paid out in game checks.

We’re not talking about huge Mack like payments which need to go into escrow.  Those deals are for long term contracts.  I’m talking about the 1yr Contracts.  Do we really have cash flow Issues soooo bad that we need ticket sales to pay the players?  It just can’t be that bad.

i think it was just written in a confusing way and the guy meant to say we’re not spreading money out into the future via SB’s and using the pay as you go model.

It certainly can be that bad when we talking about one of the poorest owners in all of the major sports. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

But say we used one of our firsts on a CB and Isaiah Johnson makes a big leap. Apple would have been expendable unless he was willing to play ST.

I have a hard time seeing Johnson playing much. He only played a handful on snaps once he came back. 

2 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I have a hard time seeing Johnson playing much. He only played a handful on snaps once he came back. 

Yeah I have high hopes for Johnson but I don’t see him sliding into the slot.  So I do think he’ll get limited reps on the outside if someone goes down with an injury and every so often on a breather.

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah I have high hopes for Johnson but I don’t see him sliding into the slot.  So I do think he’ll get limited reps on the outside if someone goes down with an injury and every so often on a breather.

I know it doesn’t mean much. But I saw a workout video he posted on social media and man he looks athletic as hell. His movement and footwork for a guy his size is really impressive.