Raiders deal with CB Eli Apple falls through; still a FA

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Joyner was so bad. I have 0 optimism that he won't be this year's whitehead.

If we get a pass rush Joyner will improve.  He didn't just happen to forget how to play football in 1 season at 28 years old.  I'm not saying that he wasn't bad last season but asking a guy to run around with WR's for 8 seconds is asking a lot of anyone.  There is a reason we have had trash DB's for so long and some of the blame has to do with lack of pass rush. 

• Like 2

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

If we get a pass rush Joyner will improve.  He didn't just happen to forget how to play football in 1 season at 28 years old.  I'm not saying that he wasn't bad last season but asking a guy to run around with WR's for 8 seconds is asking a lot of anyone.  There is a reason we have had trash DB's for so long and some of the blame has to do with lack of pass rush. 

My problem with Joyner is that he didn't win 50-50 balls and couldn't run with faster receivers. Of course, all DB's will improve with a good pass rush, but he looked washed last year. I hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Save me the this is not madden cause no one said this is madden.

Raiders should have prioritized the singings better if this came down to money. Its that simple 

Right. If money was the problem. Wait on the heath and witten signings. Teams wasnt lining up for them. 

I haven't watched enough of Apple to comment either way but I will have to see the contract. 

24 year old former top 10 pick who played better last year with the Saints than with the Giants.  If the contract is good I'm on board, he certainly can't be any worse than the trash we put on the field last year...

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

My problem with Joyner is that he didn't win 50-50 balls and couldn't run with faster receivers. Of course, all DB's will improve with a good pass rush, but he looked washed last year. I hope I'm wrong.

I just hope we can generate some sort of pass rush this year.  That will help this D tremendously!

• Like 1

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I just hope we can generate some sort of pass rush this year.  That will help this D tremendously!

We've upgraded our interior rush with Collins, our secondary DE rush with Nassib, and both LBs we signed are great at blitzing. Our passrush will be improved. 

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Harris likely costs 2-3x as Apple. This isn't Madden, we can't shut cap off and just sign all the highly regarded ones.

Also, Harris is not the same Harris of 2 years ago..I wouldn’t want him assuming what I think some team will be willing to pay him.

hopefully this is a team friendly deal. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

We've upgraded our interior rush with Collins, our secondary DE rush with Nassib, and both LBs we signed are great at blitzing. Our passrush will be improved. 

It should be, I agree but improved how much is the question.  We were bottom 3 last season and if our signings bump us up to bottom 5 we are still in deep trouble.  We should be better than that but at this point it's pure speculation.  

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

It should be, I agree but improved how much is the question.  We were bottom 3 last season and if our signings bump us up to bottom 5 we are still in deep trouble.  We should be better than that but at this point it's pure speculation.  

You're right it is, but we are much better on paper today than last year. I think the biggest addition to this team is Rod Marinelli. He's the leagues best DL coach and he has a ton of young guys with major upside to work with.