Redskins sign S Sean Davis 1 year deal

MikeT14

I’m really not trying to kill this deal. We’ll see how the kid plays. He’s a Terp, so I’ll always be rooting for him. And like I said, I think he’s got some talent, so hopefully he plays great for us.

I just think there were better options out there. And I think they’re missing out on those options because they refuse to be willing to roll the dice a bit. When you stink, and you know you’re going to stink, you can gamble. You have less to lose.  

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Overpay? Tre got $6M AAV, Davis got $5M for one season. Tre will actually probably have a smaller cap number this season than Davis. 

The only real difference between the two contracts is the length. You can view length as a negative, I suppose, but I see it as a positive. Find a guy you like and trust yourself — sign him longer-term and lock the position down for a few seasons. Continuity is key, and it would be really nice to have someone on board who, at least potentially, could solidify that FA spot into our possible window of contention.

Instead, because we went more conservative and “safer,” we’re guaranteed to be right back here trying to figure out what to do with FS next season, regardless of how (or if) Davis plays.

Also, and I think this goes without saying, Tre Boston is better than Sean Davis. He should get paid more. He’s extremely durable and he’s been a consistently effective and productive centerfielder for years. Sean Davis has essentially had one season where he didn’t suck.

And it's nothing to false about this statement yet someone will try to agrue differently. 

55 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I respect you, but I respect Robert Henson more. I'll go with Henson. He's a former NFL linebacker who knows tackling.

Good for you.

I watched him miss easy open field tackles for 3 years.   Making some nice open field tackles occasionally doesnt dismiss all the ones he misses.

Again, a one year deal is worth it.  He showed improvement.   But dont try to make him out to be something he isnt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I respect you, but I respect Robert Henson more. I'll go with Henson. He's a former NFL linebacker who knows tackling.

When did Robert Henson become a scout? He did a podcast with the Australian dude who was obsessed with RG3. Being a former player doesn’t mean you can draft, scout or build a team and nothing Rob has said in the past makes me think he has any clue about any of it. 

Great move and probably my favorite FA signing so far. Davis is a play-maker from what I've seen. Sure, he has been burned a couple times, but what Safety hasn't? He is super athletic and the upside is there compared to the other options at safety - Boston and Randall. Let's hope he can stay healthy!

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I must’ve missed where Davis has ever been anywhere near as good as Boston but you keep that fight up champ. 

How many Sean Davis games have you watched?

FourThree just said that after a rough start to his career as a rookie that Sean Davis started to play well a few years ago in his 3rd year.  

Last year he was injured.

Tre’ Boston has been talked about a FS who’s usually good in Coverage but misses a lot of open field tackles for years. It's one reason why - up until this offseason - he’s been playing on one year deals since 2017, the year after Carolina let him walk when his rookie year was up.

I actually think they're pretty comparable players but obviously Davis has more upside bc he's younger.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

How many Sean Davis games have you watched?

FourThree just said that after a rough start to his career as a rookie that Sean Davis started to play well a few years ago in his 3rd year.  

Last year he was injured.

Tre’ Boston has been talked about a FS who’s usually good in Coverage but misses a lot of open field tackles for years. It's one reason why - up until this offseason - he’s been playing on one year deals since 2017, the year after Carolina let him walk when his rookie year was up.

I actually think they're pretty comparable players but obviously Davis has more upside bc he's younger.

I don’t know anything about Sean Davis, but I’m laughing that within this page you’ve both denigrated @FourThreeMafia’s analysis and then cited it two posts later. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I don’t know anything about Sean Davis, but I’m laughing that within this page you’ve both denigrated @FourThreeMafia’s analysis and then cited it two posts later. 

Then you’re missing what I’m saying. I was disagree with FourThree about his analysis of Davis’ tackling and agreeing with Robert Henson. I was agreeing with FourThree that in Sean’s 3rd year with the Steelers he started playing well and looked like he was finally reaching his potential.

Edited by turtle28

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Isn't Tre Boston one of the top guys you wanted turtle?

He was bc he is a better FS then we’ve had - outside of Swearinger when his head was on straight - and he was drafted by and played for Rivera in two different stints.

That being said, I do like Sean Davis too, and I forget who it was - maybe @e16bball - but someone said while Boston was good in coverages, he wasn’t good at open field tackling.

I honestly didn’t even think of Sean Davis. I didn’t realize his rookie deal was up already in Pitt. If I remember correctly Davis also played some corner as well as FS. I think Davis has some skills and untapped potential that Boston doesn’t have.

And this is key, 

https://umterps.com/sports/football/roster/sean-davis/5478

had 10 total tackles in a victory over James Madison (8/30)

Edited by turtle28