Redskins sign S Sean Davis 1 year deal

MikeT14

Sean Davis was starting before he got hurt. He had a torn labrum and went on IR. They didn’t trade for Minka Fitzpatrick until Sean Davis was lost for the year. You can look it up if you think I’m lying.

Pittsburgh made him a second-round choice in 2016.He played 48 games with 41 starts in his time in Pittsburgh, making 247 tackles, 2.5 sacks, five interceptions and 20 pass breakups.

He and Landon Collins should form one of the top safety tandems in the league.

Edited by turtle28

Another one that fits right in the classic Redskins basket. 

Could have had Tre Boston for 3/$18M. Could wait it out or splash the Damarious Randall market with a similar deal. Instead, we opt for a smaller/“safer” deal for a player with big red flags. Davis is a guy who has already had two major shoulder surgeries, missing almost all of last season, and he’s basically never had a position in the NFL. He seemed to be at his best at FS, which is promising for us, but he’s basically always been potential (an athlete) that’s never translated into consistent play. 

The other thing I’m going to vent about a little is these “one year prove it deals,” like the one we did for Flowers and the ones we’ve now done for KPL and Sean Davis. These deals offer almost no upside for the team. If you think you have a good scout on a guy who you feel will be a steal, likely to be more valuable than the rest of the league believes? Bet bigger. Trust yourself and get a couple years on the contract, so you can actually benefit from your good scouting. Because what ends up happening is exactly what happened with Flowers: we fixed him up, revived his career, got 16 solid games out of him, and then watched him walk away with nothing in return.

If Davis is great at FS for us this season, that’s awesome. But how does that make the team better longer-term? He’s just going to hit the FA market and leave us in the dust when (inevitably) some team pays more than we want to. They need to start trying to buy up more control over these guys’ primes — if they’re good enough to sign, they should be good enough to bet a couple years worth of contract on.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

@wwhickok or @FourThreeMafia, can you fill us in a little about this guy?

Was terrible early on, then was somewhat solid in 2018.   Injured in 2019.

A 1 year deal for him is nice to see what you have in him.    I would be scared to give him any real money.    

Safety is pretty thin league wide.  If he even becomes solid, it will be a nice addition.

I just cant get his 2017 season out of my head.  Some of the worst safety play Ive ever seen.

• Like 3

Anyway, the bottom line is that this is another that isn’t bad. It’s an interesting, talented player. It’s not a bad salary outlay. There were better players out there, but if you squint, you can see some reason to believe this guy could be a good starting FS.

Nothing to be mad about. Just another move that doesn’t really move the needle or make us better in the 2022ish season when we can actually hope to be really good. 

• Like 1

@e16bball Why overpay for Tre Boston?

Sean Davis is a more reliable tackler and has proven to be solid in coverage. 20 passes defensed in 48 games. 

We aren't locking ourselves into long term deals for free agents bc it's the first year of Rivera and he's wanting to evaluate the order for years past next year. He wants to evaluate the young players we have before overpaying on free agents. We may do that next year if Rivera determines he needs to greatly upgrade a position bc the young guy isn't doing the job there and he doesn't think they'll develop.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He is NOT a good open field tackler.  He did improve, but even at his best, was never more than average.

I respect you, but I respect Robert Henson more. I'll go with Henson. He's a former NFL linebacker who knows tackling.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

@e16bball Why overpay for Tre Boston?

Sean Davis is a more reliable tackler and has proven to be solid in coverage. 20 passes defensed in 48 games. 

We aren't locking ourselves into long term deals for free agents bc it's the first year of Rivera and he's wanting to evaluate the order for years past next year. He wants to evaluate the young players we have before overpaying on free agents. We may do that next year if Rivera determines he needs to greatly upgrade a position bc the young guy isn't doing the job there and he doesn't think they'll develop.

Overpay? Tre got $6M AAV, Davis got $5M for one season. Tre will actually probably have a smaller cap number this season than Davis. 

The only real difference between the two contracts is the length. You can view length as a negative, I suppose, but I see it as a positive. Find a guy you like and trust yourself — sign him longer-term and lock the position down for a few seasons. Continuity is key, and it would be really nice to have someone on board who, at least potentially, could solidify that FA spot into our possible window of contention.

Instead, because we went more conservative and “safer,” we’re guaranteed to be right back here trying to figure out what to do with FS next season, regardless of how (or if) Davis plays.

Also, and I think this goes without saying, Tre Boston is better than Sean Davis. He should get paid more. He’s extremely durable and he’s been a consistently effective and productive centerfielder for years. Sean Davis has essentially had one season where he didn’t suck.

• Like 3