Redskins sign S Sean Davis 1 year deal

MikeT14

I’m not excited about this signing.  I was all-in on Anthony Harris if he was available and wanted to sign Tre Boston at a reasonable deal if he wasn’t. Since Harris was tagged, I expected them to sign Boston immediately, as I thought he would complement Landon Collins perfectly. 

It obviously didn’t happen, and I’m not exactly sure why, but I do know that no coach has greater insight into the player Tre Boston currently is that Rivera does - and if Rivera didn’t think it was worth giving Boston $6mm AAV, there has to be a reason for it. My best guess is 1) JDR and Rivera wanted a player who was versatile, and Boston is absolutely atrocious in the box and 2) they want their center-fielder to have excellent speed (range) and Boston ran a 4.59 40 while Davis ran a 4.46 40 (and Davis is younger).  Obviously 40 times do not equal game speed, but maybe they’re hoping between Monte, Apke, and Davis, they can get one of these physical freaks to learn how to play FS at a consistently high level.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I’m not excited about this signing.  I was all-in on Anthony Harris if he was available and wanted to sign Tre Boston at a reasonable deal if he wasn’t. Since Harris was tagged, I expected them to sign Boston immediately, as I thought he would complement Landon Collins perfectly. 

It obviously didn’t happen, and I’m not exactly sure why, but I do know that no coach has greater insight into the player Tre Boston currently is that Rivera does - and if Rivera didn’t think it was worth giving Boston $6mm AAV, there has to be a reason for it. My best guess is 1) JDR and Rivera wanted a player who was versatile, and Boston is absolutely atrocious in the box and 2) they want their center-fielder to have excellent speed (range) and Boston ran a 4.59 40 while Davis ran a 4.46 40 (and Davis is younger).  Obviously 40 times do not equal game speed, but maybe they’re hoping between Monte, Apke, and Davis, they can get one of these physical freaks to learn how to play FS at a consistently high level.  

Davis also had a good year in 2018 but hurt his shoulder last year. Davis is trending in the right direction.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:54 PM, e16bball said:

I’m really not trying to kill this deal. We’ll see how the kid plays. He’s a Terp, so I’ll always be rooting for him. And like I said, I think he’s got some talent, so hopefully he plays great for us.

I just think there were better options out there. And I think they’re missing out on those options because they refuse to be willing to roll the dice a bit. When you stink, and you know you’re going to stink, you can gamble. You have less to lose.  

Safeties have been getting overpaid via FA across the board, and we absolutely contributed to that last year with the Collins contract.  I can see where, especially after also overpaying for a slot CB, that they might have wanted to take a smaller commitment on Davis versus some of the other safeties out there.  He's got talent, but we got him on a one year deal due to injury concerns.  

I hate the one year prove it deals.  Frontload the deal with the guaranteed money, and tack on a second year for the team.  No way should a team go through the trouble of investing into reshaping the career of players like Ereck Flowers or Sean Davis, and see them walk after one year.  If they work out, then the team has them for one more year on a team friendly deal as payment for taking a chance on the player, and it gives the two parties a chance to work out an extension.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I hate the one year prove it deals.  Frontload the deal with the guaranteed money, and tack on a second year for the team.  No way should a team go through the trouble of investing into reshaping the career of players like Ereck Flowers or Sean Davis, and see them walk after one year.  If they work out, then the team has them for one more year on a team friendly deal as payment for taking a chance on the player, and it gives the two parties a chance to work out an extension.

It’s one thing if you’re good. If you’re playing for something (division title, playoffs, championship), that one year of production from a motivated player means something. It fills a short-term hole and moves you closer to your goal. 

But what in the world does it do for a bad team?

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s one thing if you’re good. If you’re playing for something (division title, playoffs, championship), that one year of production from a motivated player means something. It fills a short-term hole and moves you closer to your goal. 

It means that you are using a spot that could be used to develop a young rookie UDFA or an intriguing practice squad player from another team. 

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It means that you are using a spot that could be used to develop a young rookie UDFA or an intriguing practice squad player from another team. 

I can even understand it in the case of someone like Flowers — an OL player or perhaps even a receiving target — whose presence could pay lasting dividends in terms of allowing the QB to develop. You can’t send a QB out there with no talent around him and expect him to get better, so I can see why you’d pay out for a short-term plug of a hole like that.

But someone like Pierre-Louis or Davis? It’s not like Chase Young or Montez Sweat is going to develop into a better player because of these guys being behind him. You’re getting no meaningful reward for your (admittedly more limited) risk. You’re just shuffling the deck chairs. 

I do understand that some of these players are seeking 1-year deals to try to go out and earn their next (bigger/longer) contract. But you can make it worth their while to give you more years of control. I think there’s no way KPL would have turned down 3/$15M, for example. It’s more than the market dictated he should get — but if you think he’s a quality starting OLB in your system, that’s a great price to pay for 3 years of him hopefully locking down that spot. Instead, you get one year at market value and then the chance to pay whatever his market value is next year, which you’re hoping will be HIGHER than that (because you’re hoping he’ll play well). 

I love this deal and love this signing. I guess if I had it my way I’d extend the deal out longer but given that Sean Davis only had one consistently good year out of 3 in Pittsburgh and then last year was injured all year, I don't really see then reason to give Davis a Ltd, make Jim earn it, and hopefully he does this year.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 9:40 AM, e16bball said:

Possibly prime the compensatory pick pump?

The only catch for that is you have to accept a year where you won't sign much of anything at all in free agency (so you don't negate your picks ... like they did with Fuller washing out Flowers).

• 4 months later...