The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

On 10/21/2017 at 1:07 PM, turtle28 said:

Drafttek new 2 round Redskins draft:

Round 1: Kendall Joseph, ILB, Clemson

Round 2: Martez Ivey, OG, Florida

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round2.asp

For what it's worth, DraftTek's 10/19 consensus mock draft has Joseph as a +3 value at 21 (or 18th overall). DraftTek's 10/21 Big Board update has Joseph as the 141st player, a fall of 123 spots. Did he get hurt or something?

Micah Kiser is 17th ... just sayin' ...

35 minutes ago, Woz said:

For what it's worth, DraftTek's 10/19 consensus mock draft has Joseph as a +3 value at 21 (or 18th overall). DraftTek's 10/21 Big Board update has Joseph as the 141st player, a fall of 123 spots. Did he get hurt or something?

Micah Kiser is 17th ... just sayin' ...

Maybe he had a crappy game vs Boston College, not sure. Mock’s are usually more up to date than big boards imo, they probably didn’t move him up.

I’d love to get Kiser

Just now, turtle28 said:

Maybe he had a crappy game vs Boston College, not sure. Mock’s are usually more up to date than big boards imo, they probably didn’t move him up.

Except the date on the big board is after the last mock and the 123 spot fall matches where he would have been for the previous board.

Plus (UVA aside), this is Boston College we're talking about. One game against the Golden Eagles is supposed to make a guy fall nearly four rounds?

Just now, Woz said:

Except the date on the big board is after the last mock and the 123 spot fall matches where he would have been for the previous board.

Plus (UVA aside), this is Boston College we're talking about. One game against the Golden Eagles is supposed to make a guy fall nearly four rounds?

I know, but sometimes on big boards because it’s early and there’s so many players they’ll make a mistake. I’m pretty sure Joseph will be a late 1st or 2nd round prospect on draft day.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I know, but sometimes on big boards because it’s early and there’s so many players they’ll make a mistake. I’m pretty sure Joseph will be a late 1st or 2nd round prospect on draft day.

Claiming he's a ILB when he plays outside is a mistake. Dropping four rounds isn't a mistake.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Is it me or do Clemson defensive lineman tend to struggle in the nfl? 

It’s not just you, I do think they have struggled at the next level for whatever reason. I meanGaines Adams was a top 10 pick like 10 years ago and died tragically young due to a rare disease. He looked like he was turning his career around at that point so that was very sad. DaQuan Bowers was a 2nd round pick but he was kind of a disappointment at Clemson to be honest since he was the #1 high school recruit in the country. But those guys were a long time ago.

More recently, Grady Jarret was a late round pick last year and has turned into a very good pro. DJ Reader is another late round pick that has looked to be a good player. Shaq Lawson has been injury prone but still has some solid upside. Kevin Dodd is a bust and I thought he was a risky prospect at the time. Other than that, they haven’t had many Dlinemen. The talent pool these past few years has been much stronger for the program though. The 3 guys I named in the post you quoted are more talented than the past seasons. I don’t know if you want to count Vic Beasley as a Dlinemen since he’s really an outside LBer, but he’s obviously panned out. But for the most part, I guess it’s fair to say that Clemson offensive players fair much better than the defensive players.

With Clemson, it’s definitely the WRs you want to take. 

13 hours ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

It’s not just you, I do think they have struggled at the next level for whatever reason. I meanGaines Adams was a top 10 pick like 10 years ago and died tragically young due to a rare disease. He looked like he was turning his career around at that point so that was very sad. DaQuan Bowers was a 2nd round pick but he was kind of a disappointment at Clemson to be honest since he was the #1 high school recruit in the country. But those guys were a long time ago.

More recently, Grady Jarret was a late round pick last year and has turned into a very good pro. DJ Reader is another late round pick that has looked to be a good player. Shaq Lawson has been injury prone but still has some solid upside. Kevin Dodd is a bust and I thought he was a risky prospect at the time. Other than that, they haven’t had many Dlinemen. The talent pool these past few years has been much stronger for the program though. The 3 guys I named in the post you quoted are more talented than the past seasons. I don’t know if you want to count Vic Beasley as a Dlinemen since he’s really an outside LBer, but he’s obviously panned out. But for the most part, I guess it’s fair to say that Clemson offensive players fair much better than the defensive players.

With Clemson, it’s definitely the WRs you want to take. 

Clemson DBs, ILBs have been successful in the Nfl too

2 minutes ago, Slateman said:

So does Sufield.

Honestly we need to draft a QB in this upcoming draft no matter what happens with Cousins because McCoy and Sudfeld are both crap.  

edit- but I'd be looking at more like a 3-4 round guy as a backup.  Or a 2nd rounder if Cousins leaves.  I don't like any of the top QB prospects in this draft.

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Honestly we need to draft a QB in this upcoming draft no matter what happens with Cousins because McCoy and Sudfeld are both crap.  

edit- but I'd be looking at more like a 3-4 round guy as a backup.  Or a 2nd rounder if Cousins leaves.  I don't like any of the top QB prospects in this draft.

Nope. Get the guy now. Not a backup. Not a 3-4 round guy. Get THE GUY.

I can't imagine Gruden is going to get fired any time soon. Losing Cousins would simply prolong his tenure. So go get the "franchise QB" and fix the issues with the offense.

We've needed a Center for a long time now. Frankly, needed one more than a guard. Pryor isn't going to be here next year, so time to get a receiver to pair with Doctson. And a tackle is needed to develop as Trent Williams starts to age. Who knows, maybe he ends up at guard and we have a power running offensive line.

But none of that matters if you don't get your QB.

Just now, Slateman said:

Nope. Get the guy now. Not a backup. Not a 3-4 round guy. Get THE GUY.

I can't imagine Gruden is going to get fired any time soon. Losing Cousins would simply prolong his tenure. So go get the "franchise QB" and fix the issues with the offense.

We've needed a Center for a long time now. Frankly, needed one more than a guard. Pryor isn't going to be here next year, so time to get a receiver to pair with Doctson. And a tackle is needed to develop as Trent Williams starts to age. Who knows, maybe he ends up at guard and we have a power running offensive line.

But none of that matters if you don't get your QB.

But what if there are no franchise QBs in this draft?  

Darnold has been disappointing.  

Rosen is a headcase.

Allen has been a mess.  

Lamar Jackson is a future WR/Bust.

Baker Mayfield is tiny with a weak arm.

Archived